Prickly Pear Island anyone?

pjwtrouble

Hi guys! My friends and I went to Prickly Pear Island last week and it was beautiful. We ended up doing this excursion because a few of the ones we had wanted to do on Antigua were already sold out, but it turned out to be a great choice!

You have to go halfway across the island to get to where the boat picks up so you get a beautiful tour of Antigua. Unfortunately, our cab driver couldn't find the area where we were to meet the boat because of new construction in the area that blocked the view. We eventually found it and were on our way to the island.

The island itself is only about 2 acres, with the beach taking up about 1/4 of the island. Miguel and his friends/family are great hosts and they have food, beer, rum punch, and mix-your-own drinks ready and waiting when you get there. Snorkeling equipment is available for free, and his sons will give you a quick lesson and guide you along the reef. We saw turtles, tons of fish, a few little jellyfish, and even had one curious little silver fish following us while we snorkeled.

We had an amazing time on the beach there, the water is clear and beautiful. They cook you a full lunch, with bbq chicken and fish, curried conch, 3 kinds of salads and they even baked a cake. It's certainly not an adventure type of excursion, but it's relaxing and they sure take care of you!

One little bit of advice, a few of Miguel's friends might show up while you're there, and you may see a few topless women. Just a warning in case you're planning to bring children with you. Otherwise, it's an enjoyable experience!

Anna,

The cost I received from them is $85 per person. That includes everything, food, drinks, the taxi ride from the ship everything. We will be there the week of February 11th, so if you are interested in more information I can let you know after we get back.

Pam

Hi guys! My friends and I went to Prickly Pear Island last week and it was beautiful. We ended up doing this excursion because a few of the ones we had wanted to do on Antigua were already sold out, but it turned out to be a great choice!

You have to go halfway across the island to get to where the boat picks up so you get a beautiful tour of Antigua. Unfortunately, our cab driver couldn't find the area where we were to meet the boat because of new construction in the area that blocked the view. We eventually found it and were on our way to the island.

The island itself is only about 2 acres, with the beach taking up about 1/4 of the island. Miguel and his friends/family are great hosts and they have food, beer, rum punch, and mix-your-own drinks ready and waiting when you get there. Snorkeling equipment is available for free, and his sons will give you a quick lesson and guide you along the reef. We saw turtles, tons of fish, a few little jellyfish, and even had one curious little silver fish following us while we snorkeled.

We had an amazing time on the beach there, the water is clear and beautiful. They cook you a full lunch, with bbq chicken and fish, curried conch, 3 kinds of salads and they even baked a cake. It's certainly not an adventure type of excursion, but it's relaxing and they sure take care of you!

One little bit of advice, a few of Miguel's friends might show up while you're there, and you may see a few topless women. Just a warning in case you're planning to bring children with you. Otherwise, it's an enjoyable experience!

Did you book thru Ncl and if so how much did it cost. Sounds like a great time.

• 7 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Interested in Prickly Pear. To those that have been there recently a view on your experience would be appreciated so much! We aren't going until Feb. 2015 but am just now trying to get information on what to do and which place was clean, fun, etc.

Thank you!

• 4 months later...

Was there in April 2012 and again in April 2013. It is the place that Corona commercials are made of. :D If you enjoy a quiet, laid back day on the beach then you'll love it. If you are looking for lots of activities then you most likely will be bored. The food is authentic and yummy! Drinks and food are plentiful. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :)

Does anyone have anymore info on this ? Such as Cost ? Cost of a taxi to and from . Time you get on the island. Sounds wonderful but is all so vague and outdated would love some new info. Looks like fun for our 2016 cruise.

We did it as a ship's tour through RCCL. It was appx. $100 each for the day. Transportation was included. They do have a website and it says email for pricing so looks like you can book on your own. Not sure about when ships are in port though as they only take a very limited number onto the island.

We did it as a ship's tour through RCCL. It was appx. $100 each for the day. Transportation was included. They do have a website and it says email for pricing so looks like you can book on your own. Not sure about when ships are in port though as they only take a very limited number onto the island.

I just talked to them via e mail , and they said they had a cruise deal but I didn't know that meant I had to book directly with RCI . So How many were there when you went ?? Was it crowded ? Or do they limit it ?

Seabourn Legend calls at Prickly Pear on 24 November 2014 and is small enough to land passengers by tender. Fortunately no larger ships in Antigua on that day, so we'll have the island to ourselves. Looking forward to it.

Edited by Fletcher

• 4 months later...

We just did this on December 17th, 2014.

I don't think you can book this one independant of your cruise line. The island is very small (200m x 300m). We booked with Celebrity and two other cruise line groups showed up too. Maybe 20 people. Not crowded when we were there. It is a bus ride from the port then a boat ride to the island. We did not encounter anyone that was doing it on thier own.

It was worth the $109/each we spent. Celebrity may drop it due to sanitary issues. It is very rustic. If you're looking for the Ritz, this is not your tour. So, please don't complain to Celebrity. It would be a real shame if they dropped it.

Does this beach have umbrellas available?

Yes. The island has lounges (sunbeds) and umbrellas. They all show the effects of sitting in the sun all day, but no issues. The sunbeds and umbrellas were fine. Honestly, I spent most of my time in the water or exploring the tiny island.

• 1 year later...

You can book your visit to Prickly Pear directly. Look under Trip Advisor for the link in Antigua. Miguel's daughter handles all reservations. Lovely tiny island, perfect get away! Yummy food and drink, plenty of it. Go for it!