Around Port Naples

jenn6743

My DH and I will be in Naples in May. We have book the Pompeii Excavation which is about 4 hours. The excursion returns to the ship at 1pm, and we will be in port until 7pm. I was wondering if there is anywhere worth exploring on foot near the port. We would also like to have lunch off the ship...Does anyone have any suggestions...

My DH and I will be in Naples in May. We have book the Pompeii Excavation which is about 4 hours. The excursion returns to the ship at 1pm, and we will be in port until 7pm. I was wondering if there is anywhere worth exploring on foot near the port. We would also like to have lunch off the ship...Does anyone have any suggestions...

You might be tired of walking after touring Pompeii (which is amazing) however you could take a taxi to the Museum to see the artifacts from Pompeii. The Museum in itself is a stunning building. We took a taxi up and walked back to the ship (long walk but we meandered around the shops). On the walk back my hubby went on an underground tour which was fascinating. I visited some churches as I waited for him to finish the tour.

We saw some of the crew at a pizza place not far from the ship so we had our lunch there.

Enjoy your cruise.

There is an embarrassment of riches within walking distance of the cruise port in Naples. I'm attaching a link to the brochure for the Naples Arte Card which gives you lots of information. The Arte Card itself probably isn't a good value for a half day visit but the brochure is chock full of info. I've indicated the pages in the pdf for each site.

The archeology museum is only one and a quarter miles from the cruise port but it's gently uphill, so you might want to take a bus or a taxi to get there, then enjoy the stroll back to the port. (page 6/122)

Closer to the port, right across the street actually, is Castel Nuovo which contains the city museum. (page 84/122)

Next to the Castel is Teatro San Carlo, one of Europe's most important opera houses. English language tours of the opera house are offered throughout the day. (page 90/122)

On the other side of the opera house is the Palazzo Reale where you can visit the royal apartments. (page 86/122)

Across the street from the opera house is the Galleria.

Slightly further away from the port (just under a mile) is the museum of Capella San Severo where you can see the amazing sculpture "Veiled Christ". (page 111/122)

Another favorite of mine is the cloisters of Santa Chiara (three-quarters of a mile from the port), where there is also an excavation and museum. (page 112/122)

Napoli Sotterranea, one of the underground tours, is a lot of fun and is particularly nice in the summer because it's cool (temperature-wise) down there. (page 114/122)

Page through the brochure and you'll find lots of great ideas.

Arte Card brochure: http://www.campaniartecard.it/pdf/Campania_artecard_Guida_Napoli.pdf