San Pedro DoubleTree Safe to park long term?

Therese S.

We're sailing out of LA for the 19 day R/T cruise on the Island Princess to the Panama Canal. We've stayed at the Crowne Plaza twice and Best Western Sunrise a couple of times but wanted to try Double Tree this time around. We'll be driving in and will need to leave our car for 20 days.

We're a little concerned about leaving our car so long in the DBT outdoor parking lot. For those of you that are familiar with this area and hotel, is the area safe? Is the DBT parking lot patrolled? Do you know if DBT gives you a parking slip or something to place in window so that police or security patrol won't think our car has been abandoned? For those that have parked there on previous cruises, did you have any difficulties with your car upon return?

Perhaps I'm worrying too much...but we've never left our car for this long at a hotel, have this fear that our car won't be there when we get back or has been broken into.

Thank you

I've not stayed/parked at the DT as we use the CP, BUT on a cruise two years ago one of the CC folks stayed at the CP and mentioned that on their previous trip they had stayed and parked at the DT which has outdoor parking only.

CP is indoor covered parking.

Upon their return they needed to find a car-wash to get all of the sea gull poop off of their car!

Funny story, unless it is your car.

We're sailing out of LA for the 19 day R/T cruise on the Island Princess to the Panama Canal. We've stayed at the Crowne Plaza twice and Best Western Sunrise a couple of times but wanted to try Double Tree this time around. We'll be driving in and will need to leave our car for 20 days.

We're a little concerned about leaving our car so long in the DBT outdoor parking lot. For those of you that are familiar with this area and hotel, is the area safe? Is the DBT parking lot patrolled? Do you know if DBT gives you a parking slip or something to place in window so that police or security patrol won't think our car has been abandoned? For those that have parked there on previous cruises, did you have any difficulties with your car upon return?

Perhaps I'm worrying too much...but we've never left our car for this long at a hotel, have this fear that our car won't be there when we get back or has been broken into.

Thank you

I think you're worrying too much because the DT area is much safer than the area around the CP & BW which are close to housing projects.

We've previously left our car for 2 weeks at the DT and we're planning to do it again early next year. I don't recall having a slip to place on my car's dash & don't know if the lot is patrolled. The only restaurant near the hotel is about a mile away at the 22nd Street Landing although I've read that they provide free shuttle service to nearby restaurants or markets.

The P&S package at the DT states you get free parking until the end of the cruise; the CP shows 15 days & $10/day for extra days.

There are several threads comparing the DT & CP that you can read to determine which is your best option.

Seagull droppings will happen anywhere outdoors in SP whether at the DT, BW or the port's parking lot. ;)

The DT is next to a park and the marina/yacht club and has an open parking lot.

When you check-in tell them you're on a cruise and need the shuttle; they'll ask you what time you would like to leave and put your name on a list, the shuttle runs about every 10-15 minutes. IIRC during check-in they'll ask for your car plate number and put it on a list.

About 5-10 minutes before your shuttle time you need to be in the lobby with all your stuff, the driver will come in and begin calling out names.

When you return they will pick you up at the same area as they dropped you off.

Edited by Philob

We have left our car at the DTI a number of times and I confess I shared some of the OP's concerns the first time we parked there. However, I am happy to report that we have never had a problem. They have CCT cameras, there is a security person on a bike and there are a number of airlines who use the hotel for crews so there are vans arriving and departing at all hours. We now leave our car there without a concern.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. We decided to book with Crowne Plaza after all. Wanted to try the Double Tree, the photos look so pretty of the Yacht Club, then remembered we're driving down from Northern CA in November, it will be dark early, so probably wouldn't be able to enjoy much of the view.

I did call Double Tree and was told they would of had us park in a section of the lot for long term parking and give our license plate to front desk, and there is security that drives through. I'll remember this for next time.

Edited by Therese S.