World Cruise - Yellow Fever Certificate?

songanddance

I have looked ove reverything I can find for Yellow Fever and the world cruise on the QE2 in 2008 and have come up with confusing data as it relates to Brazil and following countries. As I am over 60 years of age the odds for a poor reaction greatly increase and I would certainly prefer not to have to have such a shot if I can avoid it but would hate to arrive at dock side next January and be told sorry you can't board because you don't have the needed shot. I emailed Cunard's world desk and got a very nice standard two page print out that indicated that the precruise documents that will arrive somewhere between October and ten minutes before departure will have that information in it but I would like to know asap so I can get started on the process or seeing what the alternatives may be.

Long paragraph for hopefully a short answer. Thanks to all who can help.

Song & Dance

Have you checked with your local health provider, or federal CDC?

Several years ago, when we went on an Amazon cruise, yellow fever innoculations were required. Subsequent to that, on a cruise with two in-transit calls in Brazil (Buenos Aires and Recife) there was no yellow fever requirement.

It is my understanding that interior yes, coast no.

I am confused.

We had YF jabs for Dakar two years ago - It wasn't a requirement of Senegal that we had them, but a requirement of Madeira that anyone who'd been in a YF area needed the shot. It turned out only to apply if you were staying in Madeira overnight so we needn't have bothered:rolleyes:

As I am over 60 years of age the odds for a poor reaction greatly increase

Have you had the YF shot before? My parents are almost 80 - they had the shot about 15 years ago and when it came to having a second shot two years ago they didn't notice any side effects. I found the same but Paul, who'd never had the YF shot before, felt very ill for a week after the injection!

Unfortunately I have not had a shot before and would like to avoid it dor exactly thereaso you stated. They also mention not good for people with the big C. While I am totally free for four years now do not wish to compromise that situation just for a shot that I may not need at all. Maybe I should post the question to the QM2 folks as they stopped in Brazil on this years trip.

Unfortunately I have not had a shot before and would like to avoid it dor exactly thereaso you stated. They also mention not good for people with the big C. While I am totally free for four years now do not wish to compromise that situation just for a shot that I may not need at all. Maybe I should post the question to the QM2 folks as they stopped in Brazil on this years trip.

Every client I have booked in the past year to Brazil has had a yellow fever certification required, regardless of port.

Mosquitoes fly.. and the yellow fever territory in Brazil has been spreading.

And I would supose if I promised not to step foot in such a hell hole I still couldn't do the trip. What about the medical waiver certifictae? Would that work?

I really only want to do the cruise for the ship and some of the other ports. Brazil is right up there with Detroit as places I could miss in this life time. Poor timing that they are doing this strange back and forth rather than round the world cruise but then i am sure there would be worse places than Brazil to deal with.

Start by asking your own physician, then your local public health department. I got my yellow fever shot at our public health department. Had to make an appointment to do so. It included a session with an expert on such matters to help me decide what to do.

Mosquitoes fly.. and the yellow fever territory in Brazil has been spreading.

Yes, but mainly at dawn and dusk - times when cruise passengers tend to be at sea:)

And I would supose if I promised not to step foot in such a hell hole I still couldn't do the trip. What about the medical waiver certifictae? Would that work?

I couldn't give you a definitive answer but I'd think that you'd have to have it.

When I was in South America, anyone who had been in Panama (an earlier stop on the cruise) and did not have proof of yellow fever vaccination was denied entry into Ecuador. Please check the requirements for all ports on your trip, not just Brazil.

Julia

First of all, let make it clear: the purpose of a shot is to immunize against an illness, so as a principle it's each one interest to take it.

That being said, the general is for countries to require it from people who are COMING from places where the illness occurs. Or Cunard wanting to avoig having passengers infected when the ship goes to those places.

I've never heard of Brazil requiring Yellow Fever shots from tourist entering the country, what I know it it's ADVISABLE to take it if you travel to the endemic zones, like the Amazon.

Druke I, please check a map.

...a cruise with two in-transit calls in Brazil (Buenos Aires and Recife)...

A long, long time ago we used to hear about americans who thought Buenos Aires was Brazil's capital. Even then it was more a kind of a joke.

You can get a medical waiver for YF shot. That is a definite. From CDC website:

"Medical Waivers

Most countries will accept a medical waiver for persons with a medical reason for not receiving the vaccination. CDC recommends obtaining written waivers from consular or embassy officials before departure. Travelers should contact the embassy or consulate for specific advice. Typically, a physician's letter stating the reason for withholding the vaccination and written on letterhead stationery is required by the embassy or consulate. The letter should bear the stamp used by a health department or official immunization center to validate the International Certificate of Vaccination."

However, there are other countries in the world-China specifically-that have turned away visitors who arrive with a Brazilian visa stamp in their passport and NO YF vaccination. Chinese immigration officials know there is YF in Brazil. They also have limited knowledge that Recife/Rio/other cities are NOT in the endemic zone. To them, Brazil is Brazil. So if in the future you plan on going to countries that require YF and you show up with a Brazilian visa and no YF vaccination, just be prepared that you may not be admitted.

Your best source of information is www.who.int/ith

Yellow Fever vac is required for Brazil.

I don't think this is true. We were on a portion of the World Cruise in Jan which stopped in Rio. Received our visas from the Brazilian consulate in NYC. They never asked anything about Yellow fever vac or certificates or anything.

Now if you are going to Buenos Aries (which is in Argentina, not Barzil) then I can't be certain. I do know that some folks on our cruise, flew from Rio to Buenos Aires for the day, and I don't think they required visas, but I would check other sources if BA is your port of call.

For Rio, I know I needed nothing for YF....but do get a visa for Brazil. There were a number of folks on the pier in Ft Lauderdale who almost didn't get on the ship due to lack of visa. They didn't read their paperwork very carefully or mistakenly thought that if you weren't getting off the ship in Rio, you didn't need a visa....NOT TRUE. Every US citizen needs a visa. Fortunately for them Cunard and the Brazilian consulate in Miami stepped in and saved the day

Archived