Currency for casablanca

thevilla7

• 5 months later...

We were in Morocco for a few weeks in March. The local souk (marketplace), shops and small cafes only accept Dirhams since it is difficult and costly for people to exchange relatively small denominations of foreign currency. Most larger (expensive) restaurants will accept credit cards. If you're on a cruise ship, see if the ship will exchange some currency before going ashore OR, for a better deal, there is probably an ATM at the port to withdraw a small amount of local Dirhams.

Casablanca is a great city to visit even though it doesn't have as much of the traditional culture and architecture as some other inland Moroccan cities due to the heavy French influence of the last century. The Hassan II Mosque, third largest, in the world, is spectacular 'must do.' Be sure to take a guided tour. You can browse around the old city and its souk. Lunch along the promenade by the beach is nice or, if you love the movie "Casablanca,' take a cab to Rick's Cafe for lunch.

Casablanca is just a taste of Morocco but worth a visit.

• 3 months later...

Being as the the Moroccan Dirham is a closed currency and cannot be obtained prior to getting there, is there any advice on how best obtaining some near the port?

We intend to hire a taxi when there and my research has indicated the drivers will accept €'s but we would like to have some of the local currency as well.

We went to Morocco last year and had no problems getting Dirhams from our bank before we left. I ordered them online and picked them up from our branch a couple of days later.

Cheers, P:)

You have made me go back and look again. :o

From what I have managed to find out, we can obtain them from a few banks in the UK, however you are not supposed to take them out of the country.

Ordering online seems to be the way to do it. icon_thumbup.gif

The Hassan II Mosque, third largest, in the world, is spectacular 'must do.' Be sure to take a guided tour. You can browse around the old city and its souk.

A snip from your post. When you say "be sure to take a guided tour", do you mean of the city or of the mosque? Thanks!