Informal Dress

themanwithahat

We are on our first Cunard cruise this Friday - a short break to Amsterdam :)

I was unsure about informal dress. I have got the impression that it is slightly more formal than the P&O cruises we have been on.

My son is 17 and 6'2 - he actually dresses quite smartly normally - checked shirt and trousers - as he doesn't like t-shirts and jeans much. Would the dining room be okay with this sort of attire or should he wear his jacket ? Does he need to wear a tie ?

checked shirt and trousers - as he doesn't like t-shirts and jeans much. Would the dining room be okay with this sort of attire or should he wear his jacket ? Does he need to wear a tie ?

In order, no, yes and optional.

David.

I was unsure about informal dress. I have got the impression that it is slightly more formal than the P&O cruises we have been on.

My son is 17 and 6'2 - he actually dresses quite smartly normally - checked shirt and trousers - as he doesn't like t-shirts and jeans much. Would the dining room be okay with this sort of attire or should he wear his jacket ? Does he need to wear a tie ?

Although a jacket isn't required for children under 18, I think that it would be more than appropriate for your son. You'll find the dress code spelled out in full here. https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

The information most relevant to your question is this:

"Informal evenings would consist of a required jacket and optional tie optional for gentlemen, whilst ladies should wear cocktail dresses, stylish separates or equivalent.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should adhere to the daily dress code where possible."

Edited by Thaxted

I'm on this cruise too. The roll call for it is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2056875

I've always wondered about the bit that Thaxted quotes: "Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship."

I have some nice black denim jeans. They are not blue, neither are they worn, nor indeed are they shorts. OK after 6? And if not, why be so specific about the color of the prohibited denim?

I've always wondered about the bit that Thaxted quotes: "Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship."

I have some nice black denim jeans. They are not blue, neither are they worn, nor indeed are they shorts. OK after 6? And if not, why be so specific about the color of the prohibited denim?

Quite right. There should be a new formation of a "We are Cunard" group that objects to discrimination regarding the color of denim. Where can I get a banner and a logo? :D

Edited by Salacia