Issues at the Port Re: Wine and B2B

Liverpoollovely

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this is long winded but I think it is always best to portray the whole picture in order to provide the best advice :)

On my last cruise on the Liberty my family and I done a Back to Back cruise. As normal we had out 750 bottle of wine each in our carry-on for the Back to back cruise three people, six bottles of wine, one bottle for the first cruise and another bottle for the second week of the cruise. We do this because we are from the UK, we hire a car a few days before the cruise when we stay in Orlando area and drop the car off at the nearest airport to the port to get the shuttle from airport to port. So we have no transportation to and from the ship to buy any wine for the second week.

Previously we had never encountered any problems before in doing this, we would show evidence that we were booked on a back to back cruise and that was allowed to bring on our two wines each for the two weeks we would be on board.

However this occasion we were pulled aside and three wine was taken from the three of us. We were given a ticket and told to show it on the check in desk, which we did, however on the check in desk no one was aware of this and could not see why we were prevented from bringing wine on board for the two weeks. We were told to go to guest relations desk when on board, which we did do, the guest relations officer was incredibly helpful, and said he would look into it, the first week went by, this did not bother me or my family as we could only drink the three bottles of wines we brought per person within that week, the second portion of the week the guest relations officer could not locate the wine we had taken from us, it was the third day of the second week of the cruise that our wine was returned to us.

Carnival were highly apologetic and stated it is not Carnival policy to take wine from Carry on, even in the case of Back to back cruisers. So my questions are:

• Has anyone who has done back to back cruises on the same ship encountered problems like this?
  • What did you do?
  • Was there something we could have done to prevent this?

Is this what you did on your back to back cruise with wine and what was the result of your speaking with the supervisor?

We did speak to a supervisor and they were not listening just wanted us to group all the same kind of wine, unfortunately my dad, sister and I have different tastes so we couldn't give all the same wine over, to which he seemed very unimpressed with, threw a card at us with a number on it and said we would get our wine back for the second week, I would not even mind the port was not that busy either in Miami.

We did speak to a supervisor and they were not listening just wanted us to group all the same kind of wine, unfortunately my dad, sister and I have different tastes so we couldn't give all the same wine over, to which he seemed very unimpressed with, threw a card at us with a number on it and said we would get our wine back for the second week, I would not even mind the port was not that busy either in Miami.

I was quoting the other member who mentioned a supervisor.

• Has anyone who has done back to back cruises on the same ship encountered problems like this?
  • What did you do?
  • Was there something we could have done to prevent this?

Yes, I have encountered it several times on back-to-back sailings . . . but I expected it.

I had my additional documents (for 2nd/3rd sailings) handy and advised the security personnel that I had multiple bottles of wine, which I removed from my carry-on. I told them I'd be totally fine if they needed to do the 'confiscation' paperwork and then I'd get them back at the end of the first sailing.

On most, they appreciated the honesty and preparedness, and sent me on my merry way.

On one they did the paperwork (with apologies for having to do so) and I was fine with it. That embarkation evening, the extra wine appeared in my cabin with a simple note from Guest Services saying they looked forward to having me onboard for multiple sailings.

For me the situations were not a challenge.

Yes, I have encountered it several times on back-to-back sailings . . . but I expected it.

I had my additional documents (for 2nd/3rd sailings) handy and advised the security personnel that I had multiple bottles of wine, which I removed from my carry-on. I told them I'd be totally fine if they needed to do the 'confiscation' paperwork and then I'd get them back at the end of the first sailing.

On most, they appreciated the honesty and preparedness, and sent me on my merry way.

On one they did the paperwork (with apologies for having to do so) and I was fine with it. That embarkation evening, the extra wine appeared in my cabin with a simple note from Guest Services saying they looked forward to having me onboard for multiple sailings.

For me the situations were not a challenge.

Thanks for sharing your experience I found it odd that this had not happend previously, and neither had Carnival experienced it before according to the Port Carnival crew and the Guest Relations advisor, but now I know to expect it I will be more prepared and hope they do not take all three days to find the confiscated wine :)

. . . We were given a ticket and told to show it on the check in desk, which we did, however on the check in desk no one was aware of this and could not see why we were prevented from bringing wine on board for the two weeks. We were told to go to guest relations desk when on board . . .

I found a photo of the document I was issued on one of those occasions where the security personnel did choose to hold on to the extra bottle(s) to be received later in the sailing.

With the date, my name, cabin number, and type of wine collected, it (thankfully) kept me from having to go through what you experienced.

Prohibited%20items-L.jpg

I found a photo of the document I was issued on one of those occasions where the security personnel did choose to hold on to the extra bottle(s) to be received later in the sailing.

With the date, my name, cabin number, and type of wine collected, it (thankfully) kept me from having to go through what you experienced.

Prohibited%20items-L.jpg

Now you see if we were given paperwork like this but we were not which added to the oddness, thank you for sharing :) I guess if anything I am more prepared for future B2B cruises :-D