Any ideas for Falmouth Jamaica

erfarb

So, we're back and did both the Jamaica Culinary Tour and the Jewish Cemetery Tour I mentioned earlier. We enjoyed both of them. Our guide from the culinary tour met us at the booth (which is just outside the main "terminal" building you walk thru after leaving the ship) and walked us over to the cemetery, which was around a 10 minute walk, where we met Marina. She has been doing a lot of research and explained the Jewish history of the island by talking about the graves of the people buried in the cemetery. The nominal tour fee will be used towards the upkeep and restoration of the cemetery.

We also enjoyed the food tour. The same person who walked us to the cemetery did the tour. They were very nice about getting me a veggie patty instead of the beef patty at one stop, and got another person a vegetable plate instead of the jerk chicken at that stop. We ended up at an old house that both Janet and Marina live in for some coconut treats and the owner told us about the history of it. On the way back to the ship, the guide took us to a supermarket so we could purchase some jerk seasonings at very reasonable prices (I didn't check, but I'm sure it was much cheaper than the stand in the courtyard at the pier).

Anyway, I'd recommend both tours. In addition to being excellent tours, I don't think that the Falmouth residents benefit that much from the Disney-like port being there, and this is a way to help them out.

This tour sounds absolutely amazing, thanks for telling us about it. Can you, or anyone else who has done the culinary tour, give any specifics on the food you tasted? I'm a bit of a picky eater, so I like to know what I'm going to eat before buying. Beef patty and jerk chicken sounds delicious, but I can't stand coconut, so any additional info on what exactly was included would be highly appreciated.

Much thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
I'm considering the excursion to the Blue Hole. Can you tell me what the terrain is like from the shuttle to Blue Hole?

It's a bit of a bumpy ride going up the dirt road, but not bad. Your driver is aware of the terrain and how to maneuver getting there. It's totally worth going there! Its the most gorgeous place once you get there.

We used this company:

http://www.libertytoursjamaica.com

We were 100% satisfied with the service they provided. Best tour of our cruise vacation!

I completely echo Rosebud's post. We did a similar tour with Liberty and they were outstanding. Ignore those who advise folks to avoid Jamaica and stay on their ship. Book something with Liberty Tours and you will not regret it. If you have teenage sons, the Secret Falls is a great option.

Everyone keeps talking about the "Blue Hole." If we did not get a tour guide, and had a Taxi take us there, does anyone know what the charge would be to see it, other than the Taxi ride?

I would NOT recommend a taxi to the Blue Hole, or even trying to arrange one. Not even sure a taxi would go there or know where to go, its a dirt, rocky road. Besides that, how would you get the return trip? I did not see any taxi's there when we went in November. Phone service is minimal or non-existent there as well. I left my phone in the locked van for fear of loosing it or roaming charges. What port are you docking in?

I agree with the chuckaluck66 and rosebud's comments on Libertytoursjamaica. We used them in November and highly recommend that company. It was the highlight of our cruise. My family could not stop talking about Liberty and the Blue Hole when we returned. We had a very positive experience with them and would use them again.