Any ideas for Falmouth Jamaica

erfarb

We are cruising on the oasis for the first time in May. I am trying to research ideas for Falmouth Jamaica, it seems as if most people stay on the ship. Is this accurate? What excursions have you tried and would recommend, if any?

I am also curious to know about the dragons breath coaster and zipline in labadee. Any suggestions? We are a family of 4; mom, dad and 2 sons ages 17 and 20. Thank you in advance for any advice you have to lend.

Zip line is expensive but really fun.

Falmouth has a good shopping area inside the port. For us, it's a great time to stay on the ship and enjoy it without the crowds. Falmouth is pretty "third world." I have walked around on my own, and once you get through the crowd outside the port gate, I felt quite comfortable. It is a pretty historic town, so if you just want to see the history, check it out on line and take a tour. Can't speak on any shore tours though. I have been there 3 or 4 times, and usually just wander the shops for an hour or so then get back on the ship. If you are in a balcony on the pier side, you can sit out there and watch the "goings on."

You may want to look at the excursions and see if any catch your eye.

Have fun.

We are cruising on the oasis for the first time in May. I am trying to research ideas for Falmouth Jamaica, it seems as if most people stay on the ship. Is this accurate? What excursions have you tried and would recommend, if any?

I was on Allure last May and I would say most people got off.. Judging by the 1000's of people I saw in the port itself. I did the Helicopter flight. It was amazing, perfect day for it but if you are going to do it, there were 2 options and I would suggest going for the longer flight. The short one was good and I did it as it was my first time in a helicopter so I was unsure how I would cope but it was over far too fast!

Can't help with your Labadee question though.

We loved that Port. We went on a Royal Caribbean sponsored tour up to an organic coffee and pineapple plantation. They suppy to all the hotels, restaurants and resorts. The are a million types of pineapple and you get to taste them all. I had one I loved to death and you can't get in in US.... I miss it. Amazing, located up in the cloud rain forest, at an elevation whee they are growing Blue Mountain beans, tyou actually see the coffee plants, they make local food for lunch, see the farmers tending the fruit and the trees. Get an informational lecture for 1/2 hour. Van drove through a waterfall on the way there, get to see lots of local sites. The people in the mountains are poor, but very honest, safe and friendly. The most beautiful place I have ever seen , I did not want to leave. They have blue mountain coffee for you to drink, and ginger drink made from pineapple rinds, it is so good. On First trip to FalmouthI have also called Oh, I can' t say another name of a tour guide on here can I, Some one let me know, if it is legal?? This tour was personalized they took us into the mountains and we saw real life and real people, children going to school, and allspice trees and birds it was amazing. It is so beautiful and such amazing nice people outside the cities. Stopped for lunch at a jerk place, saw everything. They will customize for you, we were only 2 people. Please let me know if can say the name of the tour guide.

I'll stay out of the Falmouth debate, but some people enjoy it and others don't. It depends on your comfort level with that sort of thing.

As for Labadee, I enjoyed the dragon coaster. It's not the most thrilling ride, but the views are great and it can be fairly intense if you don't use the brakes. I would suggest waiting to purchase tickets until you get to Labadee. The people at the desk were offering all-day unlimited ride wristbands for $40 for one driver and one passenger (driving is just operating the brakes). They never enforced which one of us "drove" since we weighed about the same, and we probably rode at least 10 times. The zip line would've been more than 4 times as much for the two of us, and you only get to ride once.

On the Allure last May we did an AI with Resortforaday( Jamaicaforaday @ the Hilton Rose Hall). A gorgeous place.

Everything(lunch, drinks all day, including transfers was at the time about $90pp.

There were about 3 different restaurants that you could get food from during the day.

It looks like they've changed their website a little.

So I'm not sure if they are still doing this, but if you get a group of 16pp or more there was a 5% discount.

I am also curious to know about the dragons breath coaster and zipline in labadee. Any suggestions? We are a family of 4; mom, dad and 2 sons ages 17 and 20. Thank you in advance for any advice you have to lend.

Been to Falmouth a couple of times. The 4x4 safari tour was wonderful. It took us up into the mountains, stopped to show us fruit, nuts, exotic spices. It was really cool, even saw a mongoose. The other time, we did the walking tour. It got us away from the port craziness and saw some interesting buildings. People were exceptionally nice, not the pushy tourist types. I first thought that the town had nothing but now consider that false. It's all what you want to discover.

I have been to Ocho Rios and Montego Bay before, so we decided to stay onboard the ship. If you have never been to either of those places, you may want to take an excursion (private or ship sponsored).

I got off to shop a bit, and I found it was a pretty competitive port to shop in if you are interested. I also got my daughter's hair braided there. There is a Margaritaville there, too, which seemed quite popular.

First off I'm not a huge Jamaica fan for a lot of reasons, but the new pier is very nice even if that's all you do is walk around that.

BUT .... we did the Chukka Horseback Riding/Swimming with the horses! We had done it once with HAL (same outfit, same horses trained in Jamaica) but unfortunately, when it came time for us, the seas had roughed up and we couldn't go in the water with them ... too dangerous not only for us, but for the horses as well, so just took the ride looking at the scenery up in the higher area and then just along the shore. They also gave us the option of that or a refund, but we took the ride. However, in Falmouth it went perfectly. First you ride thru the sugar cane fields and the beautiful scenery and then go back to the ranch, change into the water saddles and actually swim with the horses!! Biggest kick in my life! The horses are all well cared for and trained (all are either x-polo or x-race horses) and the guides are just the best. Throughout the whole thing they will take pictures with your camera and then they have a photographer while you are in the water. They show you the pics after on a disc and you can buy or not, no pressure ... we did and I think it was like $30 for the whole thing. Well worth it. I highly recommend it! And, it's for all levels, even if you haven't ridden before, they take really good care of you. First class operation. Absolutely Awesome! Loved it and would love to do it again! :)

If you stay on the ship, you will be missing out on The IRIE BLUE HOLE also known as Secret Falls. We went on this private tour with Liberty Tours Jamaica in August and I highly recommend them! Watch this video and you will want to go even more. It is much more beautiful being there. I have never seen anything so gorgeous in my life. It is very secluded, no ship tours go to this hidden piece of paradise. There are waterfalls, a Tarzan rope swing, turquoise waters, hidden caves, and a plush green shaded areas all around you. Guides will help you explore every inch of this hidden Gem. This was the highlight of our cruise.

We loved that Port. We went on a Royal Caribbean sponsored tour up to an organic coffee and pineapple plantation. They suppy to all the hotels, restaurants and resorts. The are a million types of pineapple and you get to taste them all. I had one I loved to death and you can't get in in US.... I miss it. Amazing, located up in the cloud rain forest, at an elevation whee they are growing Blue Mountain beans, tyou actually see the coffee plants, they make local food for lunch, see the farmers tending the fruit and the trees. Get an informational lecture for 1/2 hour. Van drove through a waterfall on the way there, get to see lots of local sites. The people in the mountains are poor, but very honest, safe and friendly. The most beautiful place I have ever seen , I did not want to leave. They have blue mountain coffee for you to drink, and ginger drink made from pineapple rinds, it is so good.

Do you remember the name of this? I've searched all of RC excursions and can't find it. Thanks

We did a great zipline tour at rose hall thru chukka. It was $99 pp with transportation. 7ish zips and 2 free fall rappels! Tons of fun and our 11 & 13 year old loved it!

My brother in laws family did the zip (chukka, but not same course - 5 zips) & tube combo, but that took up most of their day versus just 4 hours for the rose hall zip excursion.

As for labadee, we did a overwater cabana rental and spent the day on relaxing in and out of the water! ImageUploadedByForums1389511540.375692.jpg.e09bb440c441739c05dc64760220ecad.jpg

Thank you so much for all of the replies and advice. I have researched most ideas presented to me in this post . I was most certainly wrong in thinking most people stay on the ship, there are so many excursions that sound wonderful, it will be very difficult to pick just one.Thank you all so much.

We loved that Port. We went on a Royal Caribbean sponsored tour up to an organic coffee and pineapple plantation. They suppy to all the hotels, restaurants and resorts. The are a million types of pineapple and you get to taste them all. I had one I loved to death and you can't get in in US.... I miss it. Amazing, located up in the cloud rain forest, at an elevation whee they are growing Blue Mountain beans, tyou actually see the coffee plants, they make local food for lunch, see the farmers tending the fruit and the trees. Get an informational lecture for 1/2 hour. Van drove through a waterfall on the way there, get to see lots of local sites. The people in the mountains are poor, but very honest, safe and friendly. The most beautiful place I have ever seen , I did not want to leave. They have blue mountain coffee for you to drink, and ginger drink made from pineapple rinds, it is so good. On First trip to FalmouthI have also called Oh, I can' t say another name of a tour guide on here can I, Some one let me know, if it is legal?? This tour was personalized they took us into the mountains and we saw real life and real people, children going to school, and allspice trees and birds it was amazing. It is so beautiful and such amazing nice people outside the cities. Stopped for lunch at a jerk place, saw everything. They will customize for you, we were only 2 people. Please let me know if can say the name of the tour guide.

I'd be interested in knowing who you toured with on private tour. I would like customized tour but didn't think it would be available for just two people!

In terms of forum rules, I think you can give name but not website.

Thanks!

If you stay on the ship, you will be missing out on The IRIE BLUE HOLE also known as Secret Falls. We went on this private tour with Liberty Tours Jamaica in August and I highly recommend them! Watch this video and you will want to go even more. It is much more beautiful being there. I have never seen anything so gorgeous in my life. It is very secluded, no ship tours go to this hidden piece of paradise. There are waterfalls, a Tarzan rope swing, turquoise waters, hidden caves, and a plush green shaded areas all around you. Guides will help you explore every inch of this hidden Gem. This was the highlight of our cruise.

Do you recall the prices? I've emailed them a few days ago and haven't heard back. We're looking at doing this in November when we're there.

tcieyes, you don't remember the name of the excursion, do you? We will be in Falmouth on Celebrity in March and RC and Celebrity usually have the same shore excursions. But none of the ones I am looking at sound like what you describe. Thanks!

We are planning on going to Falmouth this spring, and have never been there before. Someone mentioned about a Plantation tour? Was it a good one, worth what you paid?

I have been to Dunns River falls which is awesome, so I'm trying to find out what to see/do here at Falmouth?

Do you recall the prices? I've emailed them a few days ago and haven't heard back. We're looking at doing this in November when we're there.

I discovered this tour on Cruise Critic yesterday. We are going there the first week of April on the Carnival Magic out of Galveston. I filled out the reservation form and within a couple of hours, Ricardo emailed me back and said it was $78/person. I'd try again. Looking forward to this little gem of a place. From what I read, the price includes lunch and transportation.

tcieyes, you don't remember the name of the excursion, do you? We will be in Falmouth on Celebrity in March and RC and Celebrity usually have the same shore excursions. But none of the ones I am looking at sound like what you describe. Thanks!

The description sounds like Croydon Plantation. We went there this past November on a Carnival cruise. Beautiful plantation and very informative. Be ready for a lot of walking though. The meal they serve at the end is pretty good as well.