Boheme Cruise Ship

Hi guys, took my first cruise in 82, on the Boheme Commadore Cruise Ship, wasn't much, but it got my feet wet. Was a 7 day Caribbean cruise. Learned to like lobster on that cruise. Was mostly a senior citizen cruise, was wonderin what I had done wrong.:eek: Not many young people on that cruise. Was seasick the first night out, tried to eat, and the waiter asked if I wanted anything else to eat, but I said no, am seasick, he said, I'll get you something, whatever he gave me, I took it once I got back to my cabin, and was out like a light, after that was fine:) The second night out, leaving the dining room, there was smoke in the hallway, white of course and the announcement that was made, "Go out on deck til the smoke clears." So a few of us were out there, then another announcement was made, "Ok fire is out now, can start the show." The following year I found Rccl and haven't looked back. Once on the Song of Norway, I mentioned to the waiter, that had been on the Boheme, the waiter's response was, "Ahh, the banana boat!!" Does anyone know what has happened to the Boheme?

I'm good friends with a former captain of the Boheme. He spent years with Commodore.

Today she is named "Freewinds" and is owned / operated by the church of Scientology for use by certain church members.

Aruba_-_Freewinds.jpg

Ah, yes, the good ship Boheme. I remember her and enjoy seeing her as the Freewinds.

A story: 1970, my traveling companion and I were wanting to take our first cruise in the Summer, 1970. We narrowed the choices to North German Lloyd's Breman, Commodore's Boheme, and HAL's Rotterdam V. We chose the Rotterdam. We were enchanted by our cruise experience. The Rotterdam's crew, program, ports, and ambience fully met our expectations. The "hook" for future cruising was firmly implanted in both of us.

I have wondered if we had selected the Breman or the Boheme, what would our experience have been and would it have led to the cruise addiction that I have.

Whenever the Boheme, aka Freewinds, is in a port I am visiting, I am always glad to see her. And, I always wonder, what if?

May she long sail!

...and HAL's Rotterdam V. We chose the Rotterdam. We were enchanted by our cruise experience. The Rotterdam's crew, program, ports, and ambience fully met our expectations. The "hook" for future cruising was firmly implanted in both of us...

In case you find yourself in Rotterdam Netherlands, you can visit the good old Rotterdam V. It's a hotel/restaurant and has a number of on board activities.

A link: http://ssrotterdam.com/

In case you find yourself in Rotterdam Netherlands, you can visit the good old Rotterdam V. It's a hotel/restaurant and has a number of on board activities.

A link: http://ssrotterdam.com/

Thankfully, I had the pleasure of doing so in early August as a passenger on the 2016 Voyage of the Vikings.

As Rotterdam VI sailed past Rotterdam V on our way out to sea, the ships exchanged greetings. I'm not ashamed to admit there were tears in my eyes that afternoon.

Those responsible for the preservation and re-use of Rotterdam V have done an excellent job. From what I could see during my visit, i.e. wedding parties that have/will be held, hotel guests, she is being patronized which should help promote her longevity.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow-was glad to see this post as I have often wondered about the MS Boheme. My sister gifted us with a honeymoon cruise in 1981, eastern Caribbean. We were pretty "green" & had the most wonderful amazing time! We left broke & committed to cruising, swearing we'd go every year! Four children and life happened and it took 25 years before the next cruise. On MS Boheme went to Honeymoon beach & we're so amazed at the beauty. In Nov. we are going back to that beach (35 years later) and I'm curious if, after seeing many Caribbean beaches, I'm as awestruck as I was then. The MS Boheme did a fine job of giving us the 'cruise bug'!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow-was glad to see this post as I have often wondered about the MS Boheme. My sister gifted us with a honeymoon cruise in 1981, eastern Caribbean. We were pretty "green" & had the most wonderful amazing time! We left broke & committed to cruising, swearing we'd go every year! Four children and life happened and it took 25 years before the next cruise. On MS Boheme went to Honeymoon beach & we're so amazed at the beauty. In Nov. we are going back to that beach (35 years later) and I'm curious if, after seeing many Caribbean beaches, I'm as awestruck as I was then. The MS Boheme did a fine job of giving us the 'cruise bug'!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yup, thats what it did, got my feet wet forever. Don't think I will ever want to go on that ship again. Wasn't much to do on it.