post cruise time in NY

card lady 1

Hi,

I am travelling with my husband and two teenagers to new york in October on the Anthem of the seas TA .We arrive in NY at around 6am but our flight back to Manchester does not depart till 10.50pm from JFK .

We were thinking of going into manhatten to do some shopping around Times square and to see the Empire state building aswell as maybe going to see the 9/11 memorial .I have read various posts about transport from port into NY but would be gratefull if someone could advise on what our best option is to get in to NY and then out to JFK after sightseeing,also whats the best option for our luggage storage .It will be our first trip to NY so we have no idea if what we plan is practical or even possible :confused: .

We are really reluctant to sit on a coach and just see the sights by doing the ship trip/tour and then sit in the airport for 6 hours so would really like to plan and book our own little adventure to make the most of our time ,I really appreciate any help or advice thankyou:)

How much luggage will you have? Is public transit an option?

You need to plan around storing your luggage at Schwartz Travel (http://www.schwartztravel.com). Your options to get into Manhattan are car service or public transit/cab. Your options to get to JFK are airport bus (pickup a few blocks from Schwartz Travel at Port Authority) or car service or taxi.

Hi Carol,

we will have at least four large suitcases to store ,im told that most taxis wont take four plus four passengers and we would like to pre book all our transport prior to arrival so we are organised :)

OK - so you need to arrange a car service like dial7 or Carmellimo for a pickup at Cape Liberty to go to Schwartz Travel and a pickup at Schwartz Travel to go to JFK. Look around for online coupons.

One other option to at least consider is getting a "day use" room at a hotel. There's at least one web site, dayuse-hotels.com, that will do this for you, and there have been posts from folks who've found them on their own. If you're off the ship early, you could have 6-8 hours in Manhattan before you need to leave for JFK. It'll be more expensive than Schwartz, but would give you the option to just sit down, and to freshen up before the flight. For instance, the Courtyard Manhattan on 37th has a rate "starting from" $125 from 10:00 to 5:00. You might poke around with your actual dates and see if there's anything interesting. 9-6 would be perfect for you, but may or may not be available.

What you want to do is possible, but a busy day. Not sure what you want to shop for near Times Square; it's really not a shopping destination, although there's plenty of shopping nearby. What are you looking for?

I agree, Dial7 or Carmel are probably your best bet for stress free transport.

Hi,

Brilliant advice thankyou ive got some more research to do now...i have emailed a few limo companys and just received one quote for $1300 which is a bit pricy so ill keep searching for now.My two teenage girls want saphora and bath & body works which they have told me are near times square not checked on that one yet ,we found swhartz luggage store and think thats probably the best option near central station .Struggling on the timing of it all as we are not sure what the earliest time we can get of ship and clear customs so a bit hesitant to start booking things especially as ive been told taht getting from cape liberty into NY can take some time .I can now appreciate it why many just book the ship excursion far less stressful ;)

Sephora is on the south end of Times Square. Bath and Body Works is on Lexington near Grand Central Terminal. Schwartz main location is near Penn Station, although they show a location 46th that may be more centrally located to Times Square. You kind of have to trace out where you want to go and what you want to do to figure out which is the better start and finish location.

Hi,

Brilliant advice thankyou ive got some more research to do now...i have emailed a few limo companys and just received one quote for $1300 which is a bit pricy so ill keep searching for now.My two teenage girls want saphora and bath & body works which they have told me are near times square not checked on that one yet ,we found swhartz luggage store and think thats probably the best option near central station .Struggling on the timing of it all as we are not sure what the earliest time we can get of ship and clear customs so a bit hesitant to start booking things especially as ive been told taht getting from cape liberty into NY can take some time .I can now appreciate it why many just book the ship excursion far less stressful ;)

If you go to Schwartz near Penn Station, you will be only blocks away from Macy's (which if your girls like shopping they must stop in. Lol) you can also walk 2 blocks to visit the Empire State Building. The Sephora at 200 W 42 is an easy walk from that area. The girls can see the billboards in Times Square. If it is lotions and creams they like, Victoria Secret has a line of all different fragrances and they're always on a crazy sale like buy one get 3 free. There is a big Victoria Secret by Macy's. Do your girls have the Yelp app? It works great for Manhattan places.

If you're interested you can catch a HoHo bus tour near Macy's also Don't forget crazy New York traffic though and plan enough time

Hi,

$1300????? I hope that was for a limo that would be at your beck and call all day!

Hi,

I am travelling with my husband and two teenagers to new york in October on the Anthem of the seas TA .We arrive in NY at around 6am but our flight back to Manchester does not depart till 10.50pm from JFK .

We were thinking of going into manhatten to do some shopping around Times square and to see the Empire state building aswell as maybe going to see the 9/11 memorial .I have read various posts about transport from port into NY but would be gratefull if someone could advise on what our best option is to get in to NY and then out to JFK after sightseeing,also whats the best option for our luggage storage .It will be our first trip to NY so we have no idea if what we plan is practical or even possible :confused: .

We are really reluctant to sit on a coach and just see the sights by doing the ship trip/tour and then sit in the airport for 6 hours so would really like to plan and book our own little adventure to make the most of our time ,I really appreciate any help or advice thankyou:)

Aloha :D

I've been researching our first East Coast cruise and have found 138east (Carol) to be extremely accurate and helpful. From what I've read of your cruise so far, you arrive at Cape Liberty, Tuesday, 6am. You want to go to Manhattan to sightsee and shop, and leave JFK at 10:50pm.

Manhattan rush hour traffic is from 7am-10am so take your time and eat a good breakfast on board.

Using CarmelLimo's website, https://www.carmellimo.com/WebApp/index.jsp, CarmelLimo minivan 8:30am from Cape Liberty cruise port to Schwartz Luggage & Storage (357 W 37 St., NY, NY 10018), online coupon $5 off available, 4 people 6 luggage $61+tolls+tip-coupon (probably $85 total).

4 people and 4 luggage need at least a minivan. The ride wil be 35-60 minutes long depending on the route the driver takes. I chose the W 37 St. facility since the one near the World Trade Center closes at 6pm.

CarmelLimo minivan 7:15pm from Schwartz Luggage & Storage to JFK, online coupon $3 off available after 7pm, 4 people 6 luggage $68+tolls+tip-coupon (probably $90 total).

Again, the ride will be 35-60 minutes long depending on the driver and traffic.

Subway rides are $2.75/person per ride in Manhattan so $2.75x4=$11 for the 4 of you to ride the subway. A taxi ride to the 9/11 Memorial Museum near the World Trade Center from mid-town Manhattan is $20-$25 using TaxiFareFinder http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=NY

CarmelLimo rates seem to get higher as the number of reservations for a particular date increase so I think they actually keep track which is a good sign for the customer, but it also means that the longer you wait to make your reservation, the rate can go up.

Both the 9/11 Memorial Museum http://www.911memorial.org/ and the Empire State Building http://www.esbnyc.com/ have online sites where you can gather information and purchase tickets ahead of time.

I don't shop so I can't help you plan that. I do know that there is a big Macy's taking up the whole block between 34th and 35th streets and 6th and 7th avenues, because my wife does shop, so I hope this helps in your planning

$1300????? I hope that was for a limo that would be at your beck and call all day!

Hello carol,

The quote was for complete hire with driver for 8 hours i received a far cheaper one yesterday for $873 including tips,tax &tolls from a company called ny premier limousines .I am so glad i joined this site the advice and help given has been amazing and very helpfull thankyou :)

I've been researching our first East Coast cruise and have found 138east (Carol) to be extremely accurate and helpful. From what I've read of your cruise so far, you arrive at Cape Liberty, Tuesday, 6am. You want to go to Manhattan to sightsee and shop, and leave JFK at 10:50pm.

Manhattan rush hour traffic is from 7am-10am so take your time and eat a good breakfast on board.

Using CarmelLimo's website, https://www.carmellimo.com/WebApp/index.jsp, CarmelLimo minivan 8:30am from Cape Liberty cruise port to Schwartz Luggage & Storage (357 W 37 St., NY, NY 10018), online coupon $5 off available, 4 people 6 luggage $61+tolls+tip-coupon (probably $85 total).

4 people and 4 luggage need at least a minivan. The ride wil be 35-60 minutes long depending on the route the driver takes. I chose the W 37 St. facility since the one near the World Trade Center closes at 6pm.

CarmelLimo minivan 7:15pm from Schwartz Luggage & Storage to JFK, online coupon $3 off available after 7pm, 4 people 6 luggage $68+tolls+tip-coupon (probably $90 total).

Again, the ride will be 35-60 minutes long depending on the driver and traffic.

Subway rides are $2.75/person per ride in Manhattan so $2.75x4=$11 for the 4 of you to ride the subway. A taxi ride to the 9/11 Memorial Museum near the World Trade Center from mid-town Manhattan is $20-$25 using TaxiFareFinder http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=NY

CarmelLimo rates seem to get higher as the number of reservations for a particular date increase so I think they actually keep track which is a good sign for the customer, but it also means that the longer you wait to make your reservation, the rate can go up.

Both the 9/11 Memorial Museum http://www.911memorial.org/ and the Empire State Building http://www.esbnyc.com/ have online sites where you can gather information and purchase tickets ahead of time.

I don't shop so I can't help you plan that. I do know that there is a big Macy's taking up the whole block between 34th and 35th streets and 6th and 7th avenues, because my wife does shop, so I hope this helps in your planning

Aloha :),

This is amazing think you have our day all sorted ! ,thankyou for spending the time to post all this information its certainly made my life alot easier and made things alot clearer

many thanks :):D

Aloha :),

This is amazing think you have our day all sorted ! ,thankyou for spending the time to post all this information its certainly made my life alot easier and made things alot clearer

many thanks :):D

Aloha card lady :D

I'm just summarizing a lot of the information that I've found on the board, researched, and experienced. Most of it for our own Manhattan pre & post cruise, past visits, and future visits. Writing it down and organizing it helps in making my recommendations to my DH tour director. Glad if it helps you.

Last year, we had a good 13 hours between when the NCL Breakaway docked and our flight at 8 pm.

Our plan was to drop off our luggage at Schwartz luggage on 37th and then go exploring for a few hours. There was no place to park in front so the taxi dropped us at the Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West which was next door to Schwartz.

The door man was present and explained that he could take our bags even if we were not staying at the hotel. It turned out to be a better deal to store our luggage there for a few hours then to go to Schwartz.

Just another option but I would check with the Courtyard to see if they still do this.