Taxi suggestion from Dover to Southampton

Pia1913

Already have National coach tix, but really need easier mode of transportation.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable car service who will take us from our Dover hotel to our Southampton hotel on Sunday June 8th that will also not "break the bank?" :)

Thanks.

A few years ago we came into Southampton on the QM2 and needed transportation to Dover to pick up our NCL ship to the Baltic. They dropped us at our hotel in Dover.

We also needed to be picked up after our NCL voyage and return to Southampton for our QM2 trip home.

We went with http://www.smithsforairports.com. I honestly cannot remember how much it cost but I didn't think it was unreasonable considering the distance and it certainly was convenient.

They will give you a free estimate via email so there's no harm in contacting them.

A few years ago we came into Southampton on the QM2 and needed transportation to Dover to pick up our NCL ship to the Baltic. They dropped us at our hotel in Dover.

We also needed to be picked up after our NCL voyage and return to Southampton for our QM2 trip home.

We went with http://www.smithsforairports.com. I honestly cannot remember how much it cost but I didn't think it was unreasonable considering the distance and it certainly was convenient.

They will give you a free estimate via email so there's no harm in contacting them.

Thank you. I just sent an email

Smiths, as NH's post. Used by many CC members. They're based at the Southampton end.

Or http://www.folkestonetaxi.com/ Also happily used by a number of CC members. They're based at the Dover end.

One disadvantage of an outfit based at your destination (150 miles / 2.5 hours away) is the risk of the driver being delayed on his way to the pick up.

If the driver is delayed driving home after safely delivering you to your distant destination, that's his problem ;)

The route is a boring motorway loop because the more direct route cross-country is much slower. If you want to see a bit of countryside on your way, ask for a cross-country price. Mebbe even enquire about waiting time for one or two stops on the way (Leeds Castle, Arundel, Chichester, Portsmouth, and stacks of other interesting stops.)

Some folk rent a car & drive themselves. Hertz, National, & Europcar have depots in Southampton city centre, Avis about 8 miles away at the airport, I don't know which of these have depots in Dover.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Smiths, as NH's post. Used by many CC members. They're based at the Southampton end.

Or http://www.folkestonetaxi.com/ Also happily used by a number of CC members. They're based at the Dover end.

One disadvantage of an outfit based at your destination (150 miles / 2.5 hours away) is the risk of the driver being delayed on his way to the pick up.

If the driver is delayed driving home after safely delivering you to your distant destination, that's his problem ;)

The route is a boring motorway loop because the more direct route cross-country is much slower. If you want to see a bit of countryside on your way, ask for a cross-country price. Mebbe even enquire about waiting time for one or two stops on the way (Leeds Castle, Arundel, Chichester, Portsmouth, and stacks of other interesting stops.)

Some folk rent a car & drive themselves. Hertz, National, & Europcar have depots in Southampton city centre, Avis about 8 miles away at the airport, I don't know which of these have depots in Dover.

JB :)

Thanks, JB. No problem if driver is delayed, because we would not be on a schedule. And perhaps being a Sunday, traffic will not be horrendous. Our transfer from Dover hotel to Southampton is to another hotel. I will contact the Folkestone taxi people too. Driving is not an option; do not want to get involved with driving on the "wrong side" of the road for 120 miles. :)

We've been to all areas many times, so don't need sightseeing tour. Just transport from one area to another so we can get off one ship and get on another a few days later.

Hi Pia: I had problems getting e-mails back from Smiths when I was using my regular account. Once I switched to another no problems. A phone call solved it all.

Smith responded almost immediately with a quote and I'm probably going to book them. Have another email out there to JB's suggestion and will wait until tomorrow. I have to allow for the time difference.

Smith responded almost immediately with a quote and I'm probably going to book them. Have another email out there to JB's suggestion and will wait until tomorrow. I have to allow for the time difference.

My e-mail problems happened once I replied to the quote --apparently they are aware of the issue and are lovely to deal with.