In which port should we visit wineries? Sheep shearing?

Dmgmd50

We will be going on a cruise in January to New Zealand and Australia. Several ports offer tours to wineries and to sheep farms. Amongst the ports we will visit are Akaroa, Pictin, Napier, and the Bay of Islands. Where should we go to see wineries and sheep farms? (Though we like wine, we have actually never been to a winery!)

What winery tour is offered at Akaroa?

There are many wineries near Picton, so Picton or Napier would be my choice, of course you may want to try more than one wine tour:D

There is a tour to a sheep farm in Akaroa listed as an option. No wineries there.

Between Picton and Napier where would one choose? In our case, one would probably be enough. Perhaps in one of those two ports there is something else that "should not be missed."

There is a tour to a sheep farm in Akaroa listed as an option. No wineries there.

Between Picton and Napier where would one choose? In our case, one would probably be enough. Perhaps in one of those two ports there is something else that "should not be missed."

I would suggest Picton for the winery tour. Napier is a very walk able town with interesting Art Deco buildings, an excellent Aquarium and some quirky shops. The locals dress in period costume and drive vintage cars around town and line up for photos at the wharf. You will also be serenaded by a jazz trio or quartet. Picton has a small but interesting Maritime museum but IMO is not as charming as Napier.

I would choose the winery tour at the Picton port of call.

Here is a website for Napier which may give you some ideas. Click on the cruise ship picture.

http://www.napiercity.co.nz

The visit to the Gannet colony was popular with many people, during our last visit to Napier by cruise ship.

If you are going to be in Auckland for a day, consider a winery tour from there. There are some find wineries near Auckland and some individual tour operators that offer them. A highlight of my cruise this Spring was a winery tour I took using one of the firms in Auckland. Check TripAdvisor.

I agree with erewhon, consider a winery tour in more than one port. They are not all the same and I found I learned something new at each of the places we visited. (As well as tasted some fine wines.)

I agree with erewhon, consider a winery tour in more than one port. They are not all the same and I found I learned something new at each of the places we visited. (As well as tasted some fine wines.)

Just out of curiosity: if you take a tour that goes to a winery, is the wine included or does one pay for what they sampling? As I said, I have never been to a winery.

Just out of curiosity: if you take a tour that goes to a winery, is the wine included or does one pay for what they sampling? As I said, I have never been to a winery.

The wine tasting is included in the tour price - small sips, about a quarter to third of a standard wine serving to sample each wine and usually served with something alongside to nibble as a 'palate cleanser'. The wineries hope to profit from cellar door sales. If the tour is from a cruise ship, I guess the wineries and the passengers hope they are off a ship with a generous policy about taking wine back on board.

Edited by cjm66

cjm66 is correct in answer to your question. The one variable I found was the number of wines that could be sampled at each winery visited. At a few, there were as many as one wanted to try. At others, there was a set number, perhaps 3 or 4 to 5 or 6. At one, a winery that specialized in sparkling wines, we got to taste only one out of a choice of 3. If we wished to taste others, there was a tasting bar where one was charged for what was requested.

Most offered water to clear the palate between tastings. Some offered a selection of cheese and crackers. There was one where nothing, not even water, was available.:(

Kia ora,

While Rotorua doesn't boast winery tours, a visit to the Agrodome in Rotorua would provide a good experience for the day you are berthed at Tauranga. You would see a variety of sheep breeds, shearing demonstrations, sheep dog work etc. and still have time for other activities in the region. www.agrodome.co.nz may help.

Aquarians

The Agrodome was part of the tour I took in that area and was very interesting and entertaining. Never realized there are so many breeds of sheep.

The tour you are referring to, did you book that through the ship or on your own?

The tour you are referring to, did you book that through the ship or on your own?

It was part of a Holland America shore excursion that included visits to the thermal area, a Maori Village/show/lunch, and the Agrdodome. We wanted to see some of the countryside away from the port and the tour met those wishes quite well.

It was part of a Holland America shore excursion that included visits to the thermal area, a Maori Village/show/lunch, and the Agrdodome. We wanted to see some of the countryside away from the port and the tour met those wishes quite well.

Thanks. I will try to find out if our line offers a similar tour that includes the Agrdodome.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be going on a cruise in January to New Zealand and Australia. Several ports offer tours to wineries and to sheep farms. Amongst the ports we will visit are Akaroa, Pictin, Napier, and the Bay of Islands. Where should we go to see wineries and sheep farms? (Though we like wine, we have actually never been to a winery!)

The Marlborough / Blenheim area from port of Picton have some wonderful wineries. This is New Zealands largest wine producing area.

Also out of Adelaide you could do the Barossa Valley.

The Marlborough / Blenheim area from port of Picton have some wonderful wineries. This is New Zealands largest wine producing area.

Also out of Adelaide you could do the Barossa Valley.

Coincidently, I went out to dinner tonight in Chicago and had a glass of Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc since I saw it was from Marlborough!

Yesterday I had lunch with my friend, Steve, who did a March 2010 NZ-Aust. cruise. He is hyper-detailed as you can see from his notes below. He's a top media food critic and has done editing for Zagat on some of their books. They visited by rental car in the Napier/Hawke's Bay area. For us at this port stop, we are probably more focused on Cape Kidnappers, the birds, dramatic natural settings, etc. Not sure for us how much of a high priority will be wine places. We have done many wine places all over France, Italy, Germany, Argentina, California, etc. Here are Steve's notes and experiences:

Hawkes Bay wine tour by car (remember, drive on the left):

Elephant Hill Estate & Winery – gorgeous facility in a beautiful setting; modern, lots of windows; sunken “living room” with views across infinity pool to vineyard with Cape Kidnappers in the background; from the patio across the pool to the Pacific Ocean; tasting – 2009 & 2007 sauvignon blanc (WS 87); 2008 chardonnay (4.5*); 2008 Central Otago pinot noir; 2009 syrah; 2008 Reserve syrah, 6 in all; talked with Chef; met Steve & Andrew, couple of wine enthusiasts from LA, who we saw at every stop (they bought 12 bottles that day alone).

Clearview Estate Winery – old fashioned Sonoma “feel” with shaded patio; left a note for Chris Nilson, former Princeton rowing coach, now family lives on a farm nearby, mother picking grapes; [Note: that very weekend Chris Nilsson coached Cambridge University to a win over Oxford in "The Boat Race," one race/two boats, 300,000 spectators (our visit was the weekend of the famous "Spring Forward" incident in 2001); Chris has also coached NZ team; Dan's coach, Curtis Jordan, now retired from Princeton, is the coach of the Australian National Team]; Mary & Roberta (the two wives) enjoyed gardens, lavender; S/R taste 2009 Semillon (S bought a bottle); 2008 Reserve chardonnay; 2007 cabernet franc; 2008 & 2004 Reserve sauvignon blanc; 2009 Gewurztraminer; on the way to Black Barn, “Neverlost” GPS sent us in a circle.

Black Barn Vineyards – attractive, rustic outside, sleek & modern inside (windows), with a “Provence-style” terrace covered with grape arbors where we enjoyed our lunch; tasting (David) 2007 Single Vineyard reisling; 2009 sauvignon blanc; 2006 Barrel Fermented chardonnay; 2005 merlot-cabernet franc; 2008 Hawkes Bay pinot noir; 2008 Hawkes Bay syrah; alfresco lunch, shady table on the terrace; 2006 Unoaked chardonnay; Antipodes (exact opposite of Greenwich/London on a globe) sparkling water; Black Barn bread, Village Press olive oil, calamata olives, Homepa feta, herb butter, olive dukkan herbs; shoestring fries with aioili; grilled John Dory, mild lemongrass tom yum sauce, rice noodles, sesame bok choy; free range pork belly, braised apples, spiced pear puree, chervil mash; twice cooked lamb shoulder, glazed shallots, broad beans (limas), crushed gourmet potatoes; wild mushroom pappardelle, cepes, field mushrooms, wilted spinach, parmesan, pine nuts; excellent lunch/setting

Craggy Range Winery (restaurant, fireplace) – beautiful if a bit corporate; stunning setting in a valley surrounded by the Craggy Range Mountains; walked about, too full with people to do tastings.

Do you get the idea for why Steve is good at doing food critic things? Need more details? They also did a couple of wine places in Picton, but our cruise does not stop there. There are some wine options for the Bay of Plenty and Tauranga. But, there, Rotorua, the geothermal wonderland, might be the more likely target of priority.

Does this help? Reactions and comments?

Looking forward to our Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, doing 14 days on this nice ship, finishing in Auckland. Plus, doing some pre-cruise options for Kangaroo Island near Adelaide and then the Great Barrier Reef before departing from Sidney’s scenic harbor. And, probably post-cruise in Queenstown and stopping in Tahiti on the way home to break up that long, long flight back. We have a nice and active roll call going at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1614754

Welcome to any who want to join us for this trip and/or travel along via the web as we get prepared for that "adventure".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,165 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Does anyone have any recommendations for full day wine tour companies operating our of Melbourne and Sydney? The thought of driving on the wrong side of the road (at least for us) after several tastings does not appeal to me.

We are on a January 13 cruise from Auckland to Sydney.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

We visited the South Island of New Zealand in 2007 and included a tour of the Paua Bay Farm on the coast near Akaroa. It was a delightful, fascinating, very personal view into the lifestyle of a friendly couple who own and operate a working sheep farm. The owners picked us up at the harbor and drove us through stunning countryside to their secluded seaside location where we saw the dogs display their skills, wandered the grassy hills a bit, tried to herd the sheep through their gate, sorting the ones who needed a haircut from those who didn't (don't laugh till you try it), watched in amazement as Murray sheared an enormous sheep in just seconds, and finished the afternoon with tea and bickies (Kiwi for cookie) in their private garden.

The tour, the cultural experience and the hospitality were so wonderful that we're taking friends and going there again in January 2014 when our cruise ship stops in Akaroa. Our cruise line doesn't offer this particular shore excursion, but the owner still provides personal pickup and return, so we found them online, arranged the visit for ourselves, and are looking forward to our second trip to Paua Bay, one of the most beautiful places we've ever seen. Wish we could stay more than a few hours - I see that they offer a farmstay experience, too!

Highest recommendations!