Dream Parking

Nana Sea

We will be driving from Houston to New Orleans for a cruise on the Dream. This will be our first cruise from NOLA. We are a little nervous about getting to the Erato Street Cruise Terminal & parking garage. What can we expect? We are super excited about this cruise but we are so used to the Galveston port. Change is good, right!

I don't have anything to compare to.... this is the only port we've sailed from. I've had few problems navigating it.... only recall a line of cars to get in once (more than six or so). Also... once we had to park near the top deck even though we were there before noon. Not sure unless the Triumph was at capacity - they sailed the previous day and use this port/garage too.

I have sailed from there 3 times. I always park at port parking because it is so easy. Never had a line. Pulled up, paid. Stop where the porters are. Be sure to have your carry on separate from other bags. Then they tell you go to floor X or X. Find and spot and done. Take elevator to terminal. Remember where you parked!

It's so nice to get off the ship and walk right to my car and drive off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have sailed out of NOLA four times and out of Galveston once. Personally, we prefer Galveston. So much so that we've booked a cruise out of Galveston again for this fall even though it takes us about twice the time to get there.

Sailing out of Galveston was a breeze for us and departing was super easy, too. Upon arrival, we were able to drive straight to the port without waiting forever in line. That has not always been the case in NOLA. It seems that there is always a very long line waiting to get into the parking garage part of the terminal. One cruise we parked at Fulton Street Garage and it was a lot easier since they bring you to the terminal on a shuttle. They drop you off at the front and you walk in, easy peasy. It's also significantly less expensive to park at Fulton Street Garage.

The other thing that we noticed was a fairly significant difference in the people working at the port. In Galveston, they all seemed to be happy to be there and like it was a pleasure to serve us (kind of like going to Chick-fil-a;)). We have encountered some in NOLA that were this way but it definitely hasn't been the norm for us. Many times we felt like it was a bother for them to have to answer a question or to help us.

All of that being said, you're going on a cruise and I know you're going to have an amazing time as soon you step on that ship! Have fun and don't stress any of the little things that may come up on your way to the ship. :D

We have parked at the port in New Orleans for both cruises. Even though it is more expensive, the port parking is more secure than Fulton Street, which is public parking.

We also arrived around 10:30 AM and have not had to sit in long lines to park. The porters were eager to help.

It was also funny that when we did the back to back cruise, they were going to charge us for one week. When we told them we were going for two weeks. They were not sure what to do, at first. But they figured it all out. They also appreciated our honesty.

• 2 weeks later...

Galveston is our home (closest) port, but since sailing out of NOLA last August, it's become our port of choice when sailing out of the Gulf. That being said, parking is EXPENSIVE compared to Galveston, and the traffic getting to the NOLA port was horrendous, and that was WITH having flew in and used the Carnival shuttle from MSY. We're sailing out of NOLA again in October but we're driving this time. Regardless, we're opting to park at MSY and use the Carnival shuttle again just so we don't have to mess with the traffic. Granted, it's Halloween weekend, plus there's also lots of other things going on resulting in more traffic, but to us it's worth just taking the shuttle from the airport.

Anybody have experience dropping off bags at the port then coming back later to board. We want to get our bags on early (hopefully to get them to our rooms quicker) then go have breakfast in the quarter, then board when the rush is over, say about 1:30. Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

There will be plenty of space. I've parked there 4 times and it never seemed close to full.

Has anyone parked at the Port parking later in the afternoon - say after 12:00.? Our check-in time is 12:00-12:30 and was wondering if there will be ample parking available since everyone wants to arrive early. Thanks.

Karen