Sunshine Deck 5 Aft corner room 5340

Goldwolf

I got back from my cruise nearly 3 weeks ago but been a bit hectic since (work forced me to go to Orlando, terrible) so not had chance to post but I did promise to post some pictures of the room so here goes plus a few comments (I already posted some elsewhere but will repeat here).

The good:

The location is great, very close to the Ocean Plaza, Red Frog pub and Alchemy bar and right by the lifts (sorry elevators) to the lido buffet and kids clubs. No through traffic outside at all which was good.

The room is large, tons more space than we've ever had in a stateroom before. The sofa bed is huge, plenty of room for our 2 kids. Having the two rooms made a big difference, always space for us to spread out. The separate bedroom was somewhere to retreat too when the kids were asleep (assuming they went to bed before us mind).

The bathroom was great, the kids loved the spa bath and having the shower over the bath with solid dividers meant no shower curtain sticking to your legs.

Concerns over the balcony having shrunk were not a problem in reality. Although it is smaller than planned there were 2 sun loungers, 2 chairs and a little table on it. It no longer wraps around, but you still get a good aft and side view due to the way it's cut out and lots of sun. I spent a lot of time sunbathing on it, avoiding the sunbed lottery on the lido.

The bad:

We've never had an aft room before, so maybe this is no surprise, but the engine judder when moving was always noticeable. At night it was a low throb which in the bed was OK but it made everything rattle. We had to shove tissues in the doors and shower screen to stop them all rattling all night.

However when docking the throb became a big shake and if you were asleep it would always wake you up as the whole bed shook. Given there were a number of 7 AM docks (or earlier) this was not always welcome!

We had smokers in the stateroom above us in deck 6 who obviously couldn't go more than 5 hours without their next nicotine hit. Therefore most mornings as the sun rose (maybe 5:30 some days, sometimes later) they would head out to the balcony and scrape their chairs/sun beds around as they got their fix. Due to the angle of the decks their balcony is over the bedroom and the scraping was noticeable. I sleep quite heavy and it woke me about 50% of the time, but my wife is a lighter sleeper and it always woke her up. She was not amused.

The balcony light never worked. I reported this on about the 3rd day and was told the captain could enable or disable it. It was never on once during the cruise. Personally I think it was broken. This was not a major problem though.

All in all it was a great room and I'd stay there again in a heartbeat. The same for the ship, not perfect (but what is) but for us we really enjoyed it and so did the kids. We're thinking of sailing the Breeze out of Miami next summer so it will be interesting to compare the two.

And now the pics :)

P1020920.JPG

P1020919.JPG

P1020922.JPG

P1020923.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

So we've booked our flights to Florida next year, mainly to do Disneyworld and Universal but we've got 20 nights so plenty of time to sneak a week's cruise in the middle. We weighed up various options and narrowed it down to the Breeze, NCL Getaway or the Sunshine again. The Sunshine won on ports and the fact it was Port Canaveral rather than Miami, so it was just the fact it would be a ship we'd been on before rather than a new one. But on balance it had the most in it's favour so it won the vote.

Once we'd decided on the Sunshine there was only one room we were staying in, so 5340 here we come again! :D

• 2 weeks later...

P1040738.JPG

Here is the sofa bed made up, you can see it was pretty big and comfortable.

IMG_0126.JPG

The cut out corner of the balcony gave a good side view even though it didn't now go right round the corner, in this case Monaco.

thanx for pix. we will have the same room on 7/26. family members in 5342. did you notice if balcony deviders can be removed or if there was a door between balconys thanks again ctinkle

I think there was a door to the next balcony.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Great pictures and information! I am looking at this room, but my son is a light sleeper, so I was wondering if you could hear any noise from the dining room below or the public rooms at the end of the corridor?

It was very quiet from outside being in the corner and no dining room noise, the only issue was the room above scraping their chairs on the balcony early in the morning, but that affected the bedroom more than the Lounge area.

• 1 month later...
yes it does had the room in Feb loved it

Thanks so much! I had seen someone here say yes, but when I called yesterday to change cabins the rep said no. Also on one of the sites that list ammenities, there was no fridge mentioned. So now I am even more excited because we will be bringing on some soda and water and don't want to mess with ice buckets.

It was very quiet from outside being in the corner and no dining room noise, the only issue was the room above scraping their chairs on the balcony early in the morning, but that affected the bedroom more than the Lounge area.

Nice room!

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Has anyone cruised in this room or 5341 since they updated the couches? The old couch looks like the bedding was very large, but from pictures I've seen it looks much smaller with the new couches.

Have this room book in June with two teenage girls and hoping the bed setup will be big enough for them.