Private tours in Puerto Chiapas ?

puli

I am unable to find any mention of private tour companies or guides in Puerto Chiapas on either the Cruise Critic boards or on Trip Advisor forums.

Are there only ship tours available in this port?

Will be doing a Panama Canal transit cruise in April 2014 and would much prefer to do a private tour rather than one arranged via the ship.

Any help, suggestions much appreciated!

I will try to help, but the board guidelines make it difficult. You need to chat (or e-mail) a CC poster who goes by the name of KiwiKen. He put together a private tour when we were in that port during the October 12 sailing of the Veendam. The board rules do not allow me to post his e-mail address here, but if you do a search for posts by KiwiKen and look at his Roll Call posts on that cruise you will find some info and his e-mail.

Hank

Have you actually asked that question on the Trip Advisor forum or did you just use the search function there?

IF the above advice doesn't work for you try asking your specific question or use the private message function on that forum to ask someone about it?

I should have added some additional info regarding my reference to "KiwiKen." Ken is a really outgoing Aussie (Aussie, Aussie, Aussie) who we met on our recent Veendam cruise. He organized lots of private excursions on his cruises and we took 3...but did not go with him in Puerto Chiapas (we just stayed on the ship and took a short walk in the port). We know that Ken had lots of problems organizing a tour in Puerto Chiapas because there were few tour operators. He was finally able to put together a tour. When we later saw Ken and asked him about his tour his response was (and I quote), "it was a bit of a fizzle!" Just keep in mind that Puerto Chiapas is in a very remote location and any tour would involve a pretty long ride to get anywhere.....and "anywhere" may not be very impressive :)

Some of our dinner tablemates did hire a taxi at Puerto Chiapas (cheaper then any tour) and went to some Chocolate Factory which they said was kind of interesting. Nothing to rave about...but interesting.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Yes, ?s were posted on TA forums and I will follow up with Kiwiken.

My research of the Chiapas area show the same ...little to do at the port and long distances to see anything of significance. I just wanted a C.C. check before seriously considering a ship tour.

Thanks again for your prompt replies.

Keep in mind that if you do a search for KiwiKen's posts (you will find his e-mail in the Veendam Roll Calls) you must use capital letters for both "K"s. The CC Search function is "case sensitive."

Hank

Thanks! Jenny

• 1 month later...

Hi

We visited Puerto Chiapas in Dec, with NCL. We booked a tour once we arrived at the pier. It was one of our best days on the cruise. The cost was very reasonable. The van was in top condition and our guides (Anna and Andrew) were amazing. We visited Tapachula, saw some sights there and ate. (Our kids also went ice skating in the outdoor rink in the city's central plaza.) Then we visited Tuxtla Chico before heading to Izapa. I highly recommend making the most of this lovely, largely underappreciated area.

Hi

We visited Puerto Chiapas in Dec, with NCL. We booked a tour once we arrived at the pier. It was one of our best days on the cruise. The cost was very reasonable. The van was in top condition and our guides (Anna and Andrew) were amazing. We visited Tapachula, saw some sights there and ate. (Our kids also went ice skating in the outdoor rink in the city's central plaza.) Then we visited Tuxtla Chico before heading to Izapa. I highly recommend making the most of this lovely, largely underappreciated area.

Do you know the name of the tour comapny you used?