Sage (Or Otherwise) Input Requested...

elcelestin1

Hello all,

I go with my Husband on his first cruise ever in December. RCCL Liberty of The Seas. Not my type of line, mega ships that is.

We had friends who were on Crystal last year and this year, but he always had something more important to do for work at that time, I believe it is because of the perceived dress code. I think once he experiences the better lines, he will enjoy it for up to ten days or so... (here's hoping).

My request is, for our next cruise I prefer a small ship (<750 passengers) the issue is, as it stands now, he does not like to dress up too often, which makes it a challenge to do an upscale luxury product or so I believe.

Any suggestions or recommendations to consider? I can get him to do CC casual I Am sure most evenings then forget about Formal night, it may be WWF match to get a suit and tie on him.. but possible.

Thank you all for your input and assistance in this...

Well on Norwegian, your hubby won't have to worry about dressing up. But none of their ships are as small as you stated as being your preferred size. However, you may want to rethink your belief that the luxury lines are too formal. I haven't sailed on any of them but I KNOW that Regent and I believe most of the others, call for "country club casual" which I would presume means nice trousers and a dress shirt would surffice.

Have a great trip no matter what you choose.

First, congrats on your first sailing!! It is one of the most relaxing ways to travel. You are your hubby will soon be hooked!!

I have not sailed on a luxury line as yet either but I get the brochures from Windstar all the time and they flat out tell you to leave the tux at home. They are CC casual all the time. Also, their prices are a little more reasonable than say Regent or Seabourn.

If you will settle for a premium line vs. luxury line, Princess has 2 small ships as well that hold under 700 people. They do have a couple of formal nights during the voyage but most nights casual is fine.

Tell your husband that all the luxury lines who have ships with fewer than 750 passengers (Seabourn, Silversea, etc.) have relaxed their dress code and he won't even need a tie. Most nights are casual and once in a while a jacket is required but that's it.

I have been sailing since the 1970's and got use to the better way of life at sea - unfortunately those lines are gone & the industry has changed a great deal. The last few cruises were certainly not up to snuff - but we always enjoyed getting away - me & the BF. But I love being at sea so much I started to research the better lines now operating - the ones I picked were Seabourn, Crystal, Silversea, Regent & Viking Sea/ River. Each is a bit different from the next - we have friends that sail exclusively on Regent and relatives that have done world cruises on Seabourn. I like the idea of Silversea being operated by the previous owners of Sitmar & the Italian influence

While researching Crystal I came across these video reviews by a male couple from California travelling w/ another couple - Scott - the videographer puts a lot of effort into the videos & they are fun to watch - along with giving you a good idea of what Crystal can be for you! Living here in NYC we dress for dinner all the time inclusive of plenty of Black Tie functions - so we now prefer a vacation that is CC casual for the most part - not sloppy ala Carnivore / NCL. Apparently a lot of the lines have brought CC dressing to the fore front. There are casual dining options on Crystal so if your BF & yourself decide you do not want to dress for dinner - you won't starve - and wait til you see the food - looks sooooo good! And there is always room service. My partner had never sailed the better lines when we first got together -once he experienced the food & service he never looked back at NCL etc. Great food & service were the hallmarks of an ocean cruise - thankfully there are a couple of choices available and with the CC dress coming to the norm - its a great combination. The trick is to get your bf on one of the lines - we men love to be spoiled!!!!

We have taken more land based vacations recently & would rather have more time in Europe / S America than a cruise would allow. And yet we decided to keep cruising as a transportation & relaxing form of vacation - Taking a Trans Atlantic crossing instead of flying.

Here's the link to those videos - in their statistics you'll see the follow up videos on more recent cruises on Crystal & they are about to sail in a week once again on a Crystal ship!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1823488

Good luck & report back!!!

Hello all,

I go with my Husband on his first cruise ever in December. RCCL Liberty of The Seas. Not my type of line, mega ships that is.

We had friends who were on Crystal last year and this year, but he always had something more important to do for work at that time, I believe it is because of the perceived dress code. I think once he experiences the better lines, he will enjoy it for up to ten days or so... (here's hoping).

My request is, for our next cruise I prefer a small ship (<750 passengers) the issue is, as it stands now, he does not like to dress up too often, which makes it a challenge to do an upscale luxury product or so I believe.

Any suggestions or recommendations to consider? I can get him to do CC casual I Am sure most evenings then forget about Formal night, it may be WWF match to get a suit and tie on him.. but possible.

Thank you all for your input and assistance in this...

Everyone has a different definition of "small ships." Mine is they soon to be gone Seabourn triplets which carried 200 people or Sea Dream which carries 100. I'd even include the Silver Cloud and Wind with 296 passengers. Above that I personally don't consider a ship small. Oceania's three smaller ships are 32000 tons and carry almost 700 passengers which I consider medium size. But of course, compared to the mass market lines they are tiny.

Hello all,

After doing further research on your wonderful suggestions, I thought about stepping up to either Oceania or Azamara may be the better next option to consider...

Please give your thoughts on both or either. I do see where Darrell6T has suggested Oceania.

In questioning the husband further, it turns out to not only be the dress code, but the cost which scares him... so I Am most willing to start a notch down from the luxury lines for now.

Comparisons/contrast, thoughts? I will go to the respective forums for these lines as well to garner their thoughts.

TIA - bo1953

Depending on the itinerary the per diem of Seabourn, Crystal, or any of the other all inclusive luxury lines isn't that much more than the next tier of cruise lines (Oceania, Azamara, and Windstar) once you factor all the little charges.

You have more control over your cost when you get to pick and choose what you pay for but I find I am infinitely more relaxed on the all inclusive where you just do what you want, when you want. You want caviar? It'll be there is 20 minutes. Want a cocktail? The waiters are there with your favorite ready and make sure you are topped off at all times. Want that afternoon espresso? Did you want a single or double?

I don't think you can get luxury at a low price.

I knew a straight couple who raved about Windstar. The Wind Surf has only 312 passengers and it seems like it gets good reviews.

The dress code is casual and no formal nights.

a couple of years ago my partner & I sailed on Azamara Journey - a 16 day panama canal cruise - tho it was very nice - the ship was in need of refurbishment - it was marketed as upscale but all it turned out to be was a smaller ship managed by Celebrity. There were certain perks but for the cost we could of sailed on Seabourn or Crystal. Now I would choose one of the newer Oceania ships.

When we travel now we stay in Four Season & Ritz Carlton Hotels.....it's better to be in their lowest price room than in a suite in Marriott or Sheraton. The same applies to cruise ships.

With your partner - its your budget but if you can afford one of the better lines - he'll see the difference in food, service & accommodations(once you do a balcony you never go back).

Hello all,

After doing further research on your wonderful suggestions, I thought about stepping up to either Oceania or Azamara may be the better next option to consider...

Please give your thoughts on both or either. I do see where Darrell6T has suggested Oceania.

In questioning the husband further, it turns out to not only be the dress code, but the cost which scares him... so I Am most willing to start a notch down from the luxury lines for now.

Comparisons/contrast, thoughts? I will go to the respective forums for these lines as well to garner their thoughts.

TIA - bo1953

Everyone has a different definition of "small ships." Mine is they soon to be gone Seabourn triplets which carried 200 people or Sea Dream which carries 100. I'd even include the Silver Cloud and Wind with 296 passengers. Above that I personally don't consider a ship small. Oceania's three smaller ships are 32000 tons and carry almost 700 passengers which I consider medium size. But of course, compared to the mass market lines they are tiny.

for a while all that was coming out were these mega ships.....the QE2 & FRANCE were the mega ships of their day and sailed the Atlantic Ocean beautifully in the worst of weather....I'm a good sailor but there are certain ships I would not do certain voyages..on oceans Oceania ships are a good size...Windstar around the Caribbean is beautiful, Seadream on the Med....

The trick is finding the right ship w/ the best quality......

One objection I have to the all-inclusive ships is that my dollars are supported the drinking of the other passengers while my partner and I drink very little. On Oceania, you pay for your own alcohol, but most other drinks are included in the cruise cost. They also don't have photographers clogging up the walkways, nor the obnoxious art auction. We have sailed 40-45 days on Oceania. Their itineraries are also more interesting than many lines.

I have sailed Oceania often and love it. BUT I will only sail them in a penthouse since I find the regular cabins too confining. Therefore I wind up paying as much or more as I do on Seabourn even without the alcohol included.

about lines that buy ships & refurbish them ala Oceania & Azamara - we sailed Azamra Journey their first winter season..16 days...the on objection we had is that Azamara / Celebrity just did a minor cleanup & certainly the ship could of been in better shape....so unless we sail Oceania new ships - its a no go. And there is even a rumor that Crystal may either buy & refurbish a ship or build new.....even w/ Crystal we would only sail the new ship.

Wripro makes a good point - better in an outside on SEabourn than the best suites on RCCL / NCL / Azamara / Oceania.

One objection I have to the all-inclusive ships is that my dollars are supported the drinking of the other passengers while my partner and I drink very little. On Oceania, you pay for your own alcohol, but most other drinks are included in the cruise cost. They also don't have photographers clogging up the walkways, nor the obnoxious art auction. We have sailed 40-45 days on Oceania. Their itineraries are also more interesting than many lines.

• 3 months later...