Oasis Accessible Junior Suite- my review

mduffy1834

Just got off the Oasis and thought I would give my imput as to the handicap accessible junior suite on the Oasis.

Background: We originally had an ocean view balcony on deck 12 and upgraded to a guarantee suite about 3 weeks prior. A week before the cruise, we were assigned suite #14254, a handicap accessible junior suite. Further note, neither me or my husband have any disabilities.

Room: very large, almost the size of the grand suite, but with the same amount of furniture as any junior suite. There is ample space for wheechairs/scooters to get around without hitting anything. Deck is bigger than the standard ocean view balcony, but again with the same amount of furniture - 2 chairs and a small round table. When you open the balcony door, a small ramp comes down. Closing the door brings the ramp back up, but you need to be superhuman to do that. We left the ramp up (did not open the door the whole way) and just stepped over it. I cannot imagine tring to close the door if you are in a wheelchair. Bathroom was large, but did not have the additional storage space one would hope to have in a junior suite. It was ok, just ample. Shower was a roll in with a shower chair that can be pulled down if needed. Dispensers (2) were at high and low levels. Room is eqipped with several emergency call buttons (2 one asch side of the bed, one in the bathroom). Walk-in closet was large and had a lot of hanging space and shelves.

All in all, a very nice room.

However, we met some people who could have really used this room. One couple, a wife and husband who used a scooter, said they were on the waiting list for an accessible junior suite only to be told several weeks before the cruise that one was not available. Obviously, this was not true. I felt bad having this room when I know that others would have used it for what it was built for. Maybe RCCL should not include these rooms in their guarantee pools - give it to someone who can actually use it.

True..it would be nice if they would hold the HC's for the folk's who need it, but perhaps those folks didn't reserve early enough....the company can't hold them forever! Yes, it would have been nice if they would have asked if you minded being moved...but they had "upgraded you" (3 weeks out) and you might have had to have been downgraded...and most folks would take that badly and RCI doesn't downgrade once they've upgraded you!

Hopefully, those folks did have some sort of HC cabin, so their scooter would fit thru the door!

However, we met some people who could have really used this room. One couple, a wife and husband who used a scooter, said they were on the waiting list for an accessible junior suite only to be told several weeks before the cruise that one was not available. Obviously, this was not true. I felt bad having this room when I know that others would have used it for what it was built for. Maybe RCCL should not include these rooms in their guarantee pools - give it to someone who can actually use it.

What you don't state in your post is if the other couple had a standard Junior Suite. If so , than the question might be asked wouldn't you have been willing to switch cabins ?

Just got off the Oasis and thought I would give my imput as to the handicap accessible junior suite on the Oasis.

Background: We originally had an ocean view balcony on deck 12 and upgraded to a guarantee suite about 3 weeks prior. A week before the cruise, we were assigned suite #14254, a handicap accessible junior suite. Further note, neither me or my husband have any disabilities.

Room: very large, almost the size of the grand suite, but with the same amount of furniture as any junior suite. There is ample space for wheechairs/scooters to get around without hitting anything. Deck is bigger than the standard ocean view balcony, but again with the same amount of furniture - 2 chairs and a small round table. When you open the balcony door, a small ramp comes down. Closing the door brings the ramp back up, but you need to be superhuman to do that. We left the ramp up (did not open the door the whole way) and just stepped over it. I cannot imagine tring to close the door if you are in a wheelchair. Bathroom was large, but did not have the additional storage space one would hope to have in a junior suite. It was ok, just ample. Shower was a roll in with a shower chair that can be pulled down if needed. Dispensers (2) were at high and low levels. Room is eqipped with several emergency call buttons (2 one asch side of the bed, one in the bathroom). Walk-in closet was large and had a lot of hanging space and shelves.

How many people could that junior suite sleep? Also, would the ocean view balcone have slept 3 people?

Maybe RCCL should not include these rooms in their guarantee pools - give it to someone who can actually use it.

I think this will change next year when the new cabin categories for accessible cabins come into play. Deck plans for the ships are all a little different in the "after May xx" (or April or ???) 2012 versions. Accessible cabins are all in a different color from other categories - all the same color. Supposed to be some changes inthe booking system for the new categories.

There is an option in the C&A upgrade preferences that states "upgrade only if also accessible" - which indicates to me they do treat these differently. But perhaps timing and proximity to sail date had something to do with the OP situation.

If I had the bucks I would really like to try the accessible Crown Loft Suite on Oasis or Allure. The two level one with the accessible bathrooms on both levels and the elevator. Looks interesting... and pricey.

Isnt it sad the HC cabins don't go to those who need them. Sad fact is cruise lines really don't care if HC cabins go to those who need them. They just want their cabins filled.

I am so sick of Cruise lines saying they bump able bodied people out of HC cabins when they don't. Proof being this thread.

The other couple did have an accessible balcony room - they just wanted to try a suite.

Our room could have easily slept 3 people - not sure if the couch pulled out, but there is plenty of room for a cot/crib

Our room could have easily slept 3 people - not sure if the couch pulled out, but there is plenty of room for a cot/crib

You have to remember you were 2 abled bodied people in that room not requiring any mobility equipemt such as mobility scooters, wheelchairs, walkers, hoyer lift , oxygen or any other items necessary.

Though it appeared to you that it could have easily accomodated 3 people and that there was plenty of room to accomodate a cot/crib that really isn't the case. Your accessment of the space in the room is actually misleading to someone who is disabled and requires the use a mobility aid and any other medical equipment. The extra room that you felt could accomdate a cot/crib or sleep a 3 rd person is actually the space that's needed for someone who's wheelchair/scooter bound to efficiently and safely move about the cabin. Also that's the space that's needed for anyone that depends on a walker and or rollator to safely move about the cabin.

How many people could that junior suite sleep? Also, would the ocean view balcone have slept 3 people?

12/11 - I have a HC JS on Explorer that sleeps 4. The ones on Allure and Oasis should be similar.

[Whereas on some lines, like DCL, don't have to get suite to sleep 4]

Thanks MDuffy for the review. My Fiance' is in a manual wheelchair and we really wanted to try the Grand Suite. If I find out that the door into the suite, into the bathroom (even though I know it has a pretty hefty step up) and out onto the balcony are wide enough in the Grand suite, we are going to bring a home made mini ramp and a transfer board. I just need to get those clear opening door widths. If we can't do it, then the Junior Suite will have to do. Thanks again.

Archived