First time on QE2 - Questions

Debbierpof

My mother-in-law is preparing to book a doctor's conference on a European cruise next (have done the western and eastern Med on RCCL and the Baltic on Costa). They are considering the QE2's Norwegian itinerary of 8 days (July 24, 2007). I've read through the Cunard threads but have not been able to really get a grasp on the QE2 or its itinerary. Any information (dining, staterooms, on-board activities, service, ports of call) would be very much appreciated. The ports of call are: Bergen, Geiranger, Aalesund, Flam and Southampton. Two days at sea. Thanks in advance!

Debbie,

It rather depends what they are used to & how much they want to pay. The QE2 assigns restaurant by cabin grade. There are four 'single seating' restaurants - Queens', Princess and Britannia Grills and Caronia and the two sitting Mauretania Restaurant. I have dined in Caronia & Mauretania and found both to be reasonably ahead of mass market lines like Princess or RCL, and the Grills, by repute, well ahead of that.

If your mother-in-law books them all in Queens Grill I've no doubt they would be delighted - probably the same too with either Princess or Britannia Grills. If they go for Caronia or Mauretania they will find the cabins smaller than more modern cruise ships and of more idiosyncratic layout. If they want to go really cheap they can even get an inside cabin with bunks!

The ship itself betrays its two class roots (and if you look really closely, you can find remants of a never completed three class layout) so finding your way around can be fun - just remember the 'E' staircase goes 'Everywhere'.

All this said - she IS the QE2 - she is the last of her kind - and if they are interested in the history of liners or travel they will find her fascinating - and could have a very enjoyable trip with lots to keep them amused.

If on the other hand, they are looking for modern functional cruise ship similar to the ones they have sailed on before - then this is most definitely NOT the ship for them.

The itinerary is pretty standard for this type of cruise - and the scenery stunning!

Hope this helps.

Peter

All this said - she IS the QE2 - she is the last of her kind - and if they are interested in the history of liners or travel they will find her fascinating - and could have a very enjoyable trip with lots to keep them amused.

If on the other hand, they are looking for modern functional cruise ship similar to the ones they have sailed on before - then this is most definitely NOT the ship for them.

Think of her as a grand old lady with impeccable intentions. It's just a pity that sometimes (not that often) she might dribble from the tea cup! She is a wonderful ship but be aware she is not a modern cruise liner.

We've done precisely this intinerary. Bergen was a disappointment for my wife, although it is nice enough, but the other three stops are fabulous.

If you go to Alesund on a Sunday, it will be closed.

The north sea can be very dodgy, although on four crossings in the recent past, three were like a mill pond and the fourth was nasty for the first half only.

It's rather nice looking out at night at all the oil rigs!

I agree with everything Peter and Malcolm have said.

QE2 is a wonderful ship but she does present issues that you will not find on newer ships. Probably the most important is that if you buy a more expensive cabin, you are getting something worthwhile. Unlike new ships were the majority of the cabins are identical, here they come in a vast range of shapes and sizes and it can pay to book a higher cabin grade. And of course, unlike most ships, you will (or ought to!) get better food and dining room service the more money you pay, though I think the food and service is quite similar in each of the Grills and there also should not be a huge difference between Caronia and Mauretania, except that Caronia is single-seating.

So bear that in mind - for a newcomer, I would definitely not suggest a minimum-grade cabin as they are really very tiny!

Archived