Not wanting to scare but please be aware

woodley

I just saw this and wanted to share. Please be aware clearly targeting people with cameras around the neck and back packs slung over the shoulder. Just because it has never happened to you doesn't mean it won't.

I plan to not carry a purse or back back, no jewelery and a camera I can keep in my pocket

.https://www.yahoo.com/travel/video-shows-gang-of-kids-mugging-people-in-broad-194552428.html

I just saw this and wanted to share. Please be aware clearly targeting people with cameras around the neck and back packs slung over the shoulder. Just because it has never happened to you doesn't mean it won't.

I plan to not carry a purse or back back, no jewelery and a camera I can keep in my pocket

.https://www.yahoo.com/travel/video-shows-gang-of-kids-mugging-people-in-broad-194552428.html

(Woodley, I wrote a rather long response that somehow didn't upload, so hope I remember my train of thought.)

You have brought up a sensitive topic, once again. I am not sure if more posts on crime in Brazil serve to inform, or simply cause panic, particularly from and for folks who have not yet set foot on Brazilian soil, unfamiliar with actual conditions.

To calm you a bit, these are likely not tourists in the video. The area mentioned/filmed is not one tourists commonly would go. These folks are likely to be Brazilian commuters, locals, going about their daily lives with the possessions that those of some means have these days. The videos of the area have been online for quite sometime, because Brazilians themselves are fed up with a heavily corrupt system (no matter of what political party) that continues to allow conditions that encourage such things and does little to deter them.

These are often the kids of poor working mothers, whose domestic service jobs require that they live-in six days a week, very far from home by public transportation, often sleeping in a windowless closet with the household supplies, and not allowed by employers to bring children, all for a pittance. With no options for care arrangements, the kids are left on their own to survive from week to week from a young age throughout their childhoods.

Consider your privileged position:

For this year 2016, the official minimum monthly wage, on which people support whole families (if they have an officially recognized job, which not everyone does), has been 'raised' to the equivalent of U$200 per month.

How much is your huge DSLR or gold necklace worth?

Tourist crime in Brazil, and Rio, is opportunistic. As you mention, do not give an opportunity.

Perhaps you can weigh in the next time I am criticized for advising a seemingly arrogant tourist who insists that it is his G-d given right to wear his DSLR wherever he wants, because of course he is an artist at work, to consider his position before openly tempting the most marginalized, and then complaining online about what might have happened.

Crime statistics for Rio include areas where most tourists or better-off Brazilians never would think of going, during the Olympics or on a vacation, and are grossly misleading. But so are the one-time-visitor comments of never feeling at risk while wandering around completely heedless of their surroundings.

Find a balance, of watchfulness that does not impede your enjoyment.

My own personal 'statistics' are two decades of regular prolonged travel to Brazil, as an often-solo non-Brazilian-looking female, with no problems whatsoever.

Hope this info helps you get a better sense of Rio, of Brazil. Enjoy your Olympic trip.

I agree with you, there are areas in all city's throughout the world that have areas that are not so good and if you are from these areas you have prior knowledge and are more aware of your surroundings.

Until you have been the victim of an opportunist crime it is easy to say "I felt totally safe" or I took my camera and had no problem". Of course they felt safe because nothing happened but it could so easily have different.

I think the wearing of "cheap costume jewelry" because "I wont care if that gets taken" is also a foolish statement. It is the act of the robbery and being a victim not the loss of the item that brings the most distress.

Having been mugged in Amsterdam and having all my items returned to me I can speak from first hand. I recovered my items but for years afterwards I was Jumpy every time a bike went past me and if someone was walking behind me I will cross the road to see if hey were following me. There was also a feeling of shock and fear that this could have happened on a crowded street. I also felt safe in the time leading up to the robbery

I agree with you, there are areas in all city's throughout the world that have areas that are not so good and if you are from these areas you have prior knowledge and are more aware of your surroundings.

Until you have been the victim of an opportunist crime it is easy to say "I felt totally safe" or I took my camera and had no problem". Of course they felt safe because nothing happened but it could so easily have different.

I think the wearing of "cheap costume jewelry" because "I wont care if that gets taken" is also a foolish statement. It is the act of the robbery and being a victim not the loss of the item that brings the most distress.

Having been mugged in Amsterdam and having all my items returned to me I can speak from first hand. I recovered my items but for years afterwards I was Jumpy every time a bike went past me and if someone was walking behind me I will cross the road to see if hey were following me. There was also a feeling of shock and fear that this could have happened on a crowded street. I also felt safe in the time leading up to the robbery

I am so sorry to hear that you were once a victim of being accosted. I hope as more time passes, the shock will be further from your memory.

I often liken the situation of a tourist to Rio, stating after the trip that s/he felt completely safe, to the nearly-blind Mr. Magoo of cartoon fame who wandered in and out of danger without being aware.

I agree with you about costume jewelry. I even just had a long online go-round, for example, with someone who wanted to wear her existing medic alert bracelet, some of which appear to be fancy silver/gold jewelry, instead of getting a clearly cheap acrylic one with info in Portuguese. And in Rio, and most of Brazil, street artists and little craft markets have such attractive well made pieces made from local materials, seeds and beads and shells, that it would be a shame not to get some as souvenirs anyway.

Again, I hope the video does not cause anyone to worry unduly, just to plan well and be aware.

I wish you a wonderful trip. (Wish I could be there with you to watch some equestrian events.:-)

I would also like to add a note:

I believe I know now where that video came to your attention.

Reading over time, IMO, the so-called "expert" on the popular travel site who posted it is not credible, often misleading (as this video is), and not in touch with the reality of Brazil, which a poster new to Brazil would have difficulty understanding.. However, the site chooses his misleading answers mostly gathered from Google, rather than (very limited) personal experience in Brazil, and has banned posters who disagree or removes posts. That particular forum, and the questioners who post there, suffer for it, and in some cases might have their trip effected negatively.

Thanks for the comment re the medical alert bracelet. DH has a rather nice one and I wouldn't have thought of it as "jewelry" per se. Will make sure he gets a clear one and in Spanish.

As to safety. We had no problems in Rome and Barcelona which are also at risk but, then again, we were vigilant. We lived in New York City for years and, even in the "safer" areas of the city you had to be watchful. After all, why would a really good (meaning adept) mugger do it in the very poor areas of town. My hairdresser was mugged at 10 a.m. on Park Avenue. I am looking forward to our time in Rio and will be using a guide but will still be watchful.

I have to say I am considered very conservative. I don't even like to carry my smart phone, although you see Brazilians wandering around with theirs.

The silicone, paracord or easy flex medic alert bracelets of the type on this site would not resemble in any way good jewelry.

https://www.medicalert.org/product/catalog/medical-ids

Remember that Brazilians speak Portuguese, not Spanish.

Use your guide to take you to the local gems that you likely wouldn't find on your own on a first trip, like Joa or Marapendi, the monkeys and waterfalls and vista points in Tijuca, or even Niteroi, or perhaps to see the view from one of the cable cars up to the pacified favelas. Having a guide with a car can help pack in a lot on a short visit, and a registered guide can cut some lines; as you know, they are not bodyguards, but do have a feel for the local vibe in an area. But don't be afraid to go around by taxi on your own, even on a Friday/Saturday night to Carioca da Gema or Scenarium in Lapa to hear some live samba music and dance with the locals; there are plenty of taxis waiting to take you back to the hotel. An evening stroll on the main shopping street in Ipanema should be fine, for example.

Wishing you a wonderful trip. Enjoy!!!!!!

I am aware that they speak Portuguese but figured that, as we would be on a cruise and stopping in Argentina and Uruguay as well, Spanish would be the choice. I was told (could be wrong of course) that most Brazilians speak Spanish as well. I'm sure not all but some???

I am aware that they speak Portuguese but figured that, as we would be on a cruise and stopping in Argentina and Uruguay as well, Spanish would be the choice. I was told (could be wrong of course) that most Brazilians speak Spanish as well. I'm sure not all but some???

I wouldn't count on Brazilians speaking or understanding any language other than Portuguese, even those in the hospitality industry, unless perhaps within a few miles of a border with a Spanish speaking country.

Insofar as medical terms, or names of medication, I can't say if they would be the same in both Spanish and Portuguese. I do know that even basic OTC meds are pronounced quite differently than English, for example az-pee-REE-nah in Portuguese vs. ASS-prin in English.

Just to add a 2nd voice, I spent 3 weeks in Brazil in June 2015 - for work. I spent 5 days in Sao Paulo, 3 days in Brasilia, 5 days in Rio, and then another 3 days in Sao Paulo.

Although I had a friend walk me around SP the first day, and I took a walking tour with a group on another day.... I attended the SP Gay Pride Parade (largest in the world), without feeling scared at all.

My friend gave me guidance on which areas are deemed 'safe', and which were a little shadier.

In Rio, I stayed at the Sheraton hotel, and walked the mile-long path to the Copacabana beaches area at least twice daily, in each direction (4 miles total). Nobody even came near me....and I was being watchful.

As was said earlier, these are crimes of opportunity. If you're distracted by crossing the road, or looking at your phone, or a map, or otherwise seem disconnected from your surroundings, then grabbing something from your shoulder is really easy to do.

But I didn't see it, anywhere in the 3 cities I visited....and I walked a LOT, on my own, in all 3.

Stephen

I wouldn't count on Brazilians speaking or understanding any language other than Portuguese, even those in the hospitality industry, unless perhaps within a few miles of a border with a Spanish speaking country.

Insofar as medical terms, or names of medication, I can't say if they would be the same in both Spanish and Portuguese. I do know that even basic OTC meds are pronounced quite differently than English, for example az-pee-REE-nah in Portuguese vs. ASS-prin in English.

We travelled from Salvador to Recife 3 months ago, and were actually surprised how few people speak a foreign language in Brazil, not even Spanish. That said, if you speak Spanish or French yourself, speak slowly and use hand and feet, you get a long way. Just about every cafe or shopping mall has free wifi and Google translate on your phone is super handy. People are very very helpful.

Medications in Brazil can have other names than in Europe or the US. I looked up their names on the internet before we went, so to know what to ask for. We thought farmacies were very modern and helpful, but even the most basic OTC medicines were fairly expensive.

I was on a cruise in South America a few years ago. A woman on the cruise got mugged in Montevideo. She ha bruises on her face for several days. We never spoke to her, so don't know what happened, but sometimes bad things DO happen. It's hard to hide as tourists, but at least being aware of your surroundings, and dressing with care will help minimize your risk.