Has anyone booked a room overnight when in Puerto Vallarta?

Derbie

I was thinking about booking a room at a resort in Puerto Vallarta, while in port. We have a split day, arriving in port at 3:00 pm, and leaving the next day at noon. It is an all inclusive resort. It is actually cheaper, than going with a day rate at beach. It has great reviews on Travel Advisor. I hope I don't get in trouble for mentioning this website. I just wanted feedback on this option. Thanks.

I was thinking about booking a room at a resort in Puerto Vallarta, while in port. We have a split day, arriving in port at 3:00 pm, and leaving the next day at noon. It is an all inclusive resort. It is actually cheaper, than going with a day rate at beach. It has great reviews on Travel Advisor. I hope I don't get in trouble for mentioning this website. I just wanted feedback on this option. Thanks.

Sorry-I should have said the name of the resort is Sunset Plaza Beach Resort.

We think it is an intriguing idea with lots of merit. Just keep in mind that you will be cruising to PV during the latter part of their rainy season so you should be thinking of alternatives to the beach. And as one who has lived in PV for the past 10 winters we would urge you to leave that resort (of the ship) and come into Centro or the Southside (Romantic Zone) for drinks and dinner. PV is a "foodie" haven and you will find plenty of restaurants with food and drink that put Carnival (or any other cruise line) to shame.

Hank

We think it is an intriguing idea with lots of merit. Just keep in mind that you will be cruising to PV during the latter part of their rainy season so you should be thinking of alternatives to the beach. And as one who has lived in PV for the past 10 winters we would urge you to leave that resort (of the ship) and come into Centro or the Southside (Romantic Zone) for drinks and dinner. PV is a "foodie" haven and you will find plenty of restaurants with food and drink that put Carnival (or any other cruise line) to shame.

Hank

Thanks so much! Could you recommend a couple of restaurants? Any other information would be helpful. Transportation, sites, etc. If anyone knows, I believe it is you.

This is what I posted for somebody else:

That could be a long list. Remember you will find tourists (many staying for a few months in winter) everywhere depending when you will be there.

On Playa Los Muertos you find various restaurants like Daiquiry Dicks, Blue Shrimps, Langostines, LaPalapa, Cuates y Cuetes and more.

Not open in summer - Casa Isabel on a hill with terrific view over the bay, the same for Vista Grill.

Next to Hotel Buenaventura - Restaurant El Baracuda - also on the beach. Great place for Molcajete https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molcajete

In case you stay overnight: if you donot mind some walking in between meals, with visits to local places check this: http://puertovallartafoodtours.com/

or this one: http://www.vallartaeats.com/

and a lot of information also on this website: http://www.vallartainfo.com/

To get to old town either take cab (yellow ones from the highway are cheaper than those at ther terminal), also make your price beofre boarding. Or take the blue/white bus marked Centro (best those not marked tunel), for just 7,50 Pesos one way.

Thanks so much! Could you recommend a couple of restaurants? Any other information would be helpful. Transportation, sites, etc. If anyone knows, I believe it is you.

Glad to see Ine jumped-in since she is truly a long-time expert on this fabulous city (maybe we can get her to our Superbowl party in Feb). As to transportation, it comes down to 3 options. There are special taxis that work only in the port, and these are more expensive (because they cannot pick-up passengers outside of the Marina) and we recommend not using these taxis unless you have a large group.

Then you have the Yellow Taxis that you will find everywhere. They will stop along roads as long as you are near a safe spot for them to pull over. There are also licensed taxi stands all over the area and each taxi is actually assigned to only a single taxi stand (they have the "Sita" number on the side of the taxi). The Yellow taxis are supposed to charge fixed rates (based on zones) but a few drivers might try and take advantage of cruisers with slightly higher prices. But they are still a bargain, clean, and safe.

The third option (our favorite) our the local buses that cost 7.5 Pesos (less then 50 cents). You pay the driver (they will make change). If you do not have Pesos...most will accept dollar bills and may or may not give you any change in Pesos. For getting from the port (or the resorts along the Hotel Zone) just walk out to the main street (hard to miss) and then to the nearest bus stop (you will quickly find it). To get into town take any bus that has "Centro" displayed and avoid buses that say "Tunel." For getting back to the port (or even the resorts in the Hotel Zone) the safe bet is take a bus that says Sam's on the front. Some will tell you to look for "Walmart" on those buses but we no longer trust this because there are 2 Walmarts. If in doubt just ask the driver (very bad Spanish like "cruise ship porto" will usually work :).

As to restaurants, DW and I eat in over 40 different restaurants/eating places every year and woud probably recommend 35 of them :). You can get everything but great tacos (at Pancho Taco...at night) to gourmet French (Cafe des Artistes). For those that enjoy seafood we think this is the way to go...and we suggest sticking with Red Snapper, Mahi Mahi or shrimp. As to where to eat this is tough because of so many great venues. At the current time we particularly like a relatively new place called "Bravos PV" and its very active owner, Michael. But getting into Bravos during the high season can be difficult without a reservation. Bravos is also one of few restaurants that is totally air conditioned. The downside for cruisers is that Michael has designed a restaurant with a very international feel (and an amazing menu) and might not seem to be enough Mexican for some.

Another favorite of ours (we really love this place and its charming Mexican owner) is called "Polos" or sometimes referred to as Mariscos Polo. It is off the beaten path (on the southside) with no view. But it is very Mexican in decor (and cuisine), inexpensive, and has great seafood! Polo's also makes a mean Margarita (just ask for a Margarita Grande).

These two restaurants are seldom visited by any cruiser but are very popular with the local expats and annual visitors. We have spotted many overnight cruisers waiting in line for Si Senor which is a large Mexican restaurant in Centro. It is not one of our favorites, but it sure has its fans, serves lots of traditional Mexican (and Tex Mex) fare, makes great guacamole, and serves extremely large drinks.

One last place we will mention is Daiquiri Dicks which is along the beach on the Southside. This place has a touristy but great atmosphere, is a bit expensive, and has an expansive menu. However, they have had a few changes in Chefs over the past 5 years, so we tend to hole our recommendation until we have visited the place every year.

Finally I will mention a local issue which impacts visitors. It is about what to call the Southside, Romantic Zone, Zona Romantica, Old Town, etc. It is all the same place which is that neigborhood just over (south) of the Rio Cujale. This is where we live a few months a year and its our favorite part of PV.

Hank

This is what I posted for somebody else:

That could be a long list. Remember you will find tourists (many staying for a few months in winter) everywhere depending when you will be there.

On Playa Los Muertos you find various restaurants like Daiquiry Dicks, Blue Shrimps, Langostines, LaPalapa, Cuates y Cuetes and more.

Not open in summer - Casa Isabel on a hill with terrific view over the bay, the same for Vista Grill.

Next to Hotel Buenaventura - Restaurant El Baracuda - also on the beach. Great place for Molcajete https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molcajete

In case you stay overnight: if you donot mind some walking in between meals, with visits to local places check this: http://puertovallartafoodtours.com/

or this one: http://www.vallartaeats.com/

and a lot of information also on this website: http://www.vallartainfo.com/

To get to old town either take cab (yellow ones from the highway are cheaper than those at ther terminal), also make your price beofre boarding. Or take the blue/white bus marked Centro (best those not marked tunel), for just 7,50 Pesos one way.

Thanks so much! I have read your posts, on other threads. You are very helpful. Could you tell me if there is a Walmart or a reputable Rx close to the port?

Thank you so very much! It sounds there are a 100 great places to dine. Is there an item, that I should bring home? Should I hit the beach one day, and spend the morning of the next day touring, etc.? You all are the best.

Thanks so much! I have read your posts, on other threads. You are very helpful. Could you tell me if there is a Walmart or a reputable Rx close to the port?

Walmart and Sams are opposite the cruise terminal, Walmart open 24 hrs. Galeria Mall with Liverpool as main shop almost next to this, but here many shops are open from 11.00- 8.00 pm or later., food court has different hours.

Why not tour the 1st day, and then do a food tour/dinner in the evening.

The 2 nd morning go to the beach.

As mentioned Vallarta is a foody paradise, lots and lots of restaurants of all sorts.