Time in port...when to be on ship, etc.

claireruth

I tried searching for the answer, but I wasn't exactly sure what search terms to use. Hopefully I'm not lambasted for asking something that's been asked a million times. ;)

We're sailing on the NCL Escape over spring break (3/11 to 3/18), and I'm wondering about the time in port. We're scheduled to be in St. Thomas from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM, but then I saw this little note and am now worried about the excursion we booked not being back in time:

Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing. Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking. Itineraries are subject to change at any time without notice.

So does that mean we don't get off the boat until 10:00 AM and have to be back on by 4:00 PM? When I booked the excursion (not through the cruise line) they said that we'd be back in plenty of time, but if we have to be on the boat by 4:00 I'm not so sure.

Also I'm feeling a bit gypped if it's cut short by four hours! And then I'd probably need to change our plans for Tortola, too, if I need to adjust two hours on each side.

You will need to be back ON the ship 30 mins. before posted sail away time. If you are on a ship's excursion, you do NOT need to worry about the time...they will make sure you're there when you're supposed to be...

The 2 hour thing is only for the initial boarding day in your home port!

I don't know why they don't make that clearer!

I tried searching for the answer, but I wasn't exactly sure what search terms to use. Hopefully I'm not lambasted for asking something that's been asked a million times. ;)

We're sailing on the NCL Escape over spring break (3/11 to 3/18), and I'm wondering about the time in port. We're scheduled to be in St. Thomas from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM, but then I saw this little note and am now worried about the excursion we booked not being back in time:

So does that mean we don't get off the boat until 10:00 AM and have to be back on by 4:00 PM? When I booked the excursion (not through the cruise line) they said that we'd be back in plenty of time, but if we have to be on the boat by 4:00 I'm not so sure.

Also I'm feeling a bit gypped if it's cut short by four hours! And then I'd probably need to change our plans for Tortola, too, if I need to adjust two hours on each side.

All aboard time is usually 30 minutes before scheduled departure on port days. We usually try to make it back at least an hour ahead of time in case of unexpected delays.

Awesome, thanks!! I appreciate the quick replies so I could stop panicking, lol! I also really didn't want to have to cancel our excursion because we're all really excited for it.

To add to to the posts - unless you are tendering you can generally just walk off the ship once they are tied up and cleared. So if you arrive in port at 8:00 it is not unrealistic to be off by 8:10-8:15. Tendering is a whole different animal.

they should have included the phrase "on embarkation day.." for port stays: always plan to be back on board by 30 minutes at the very least...we actually try for at least an hour before...not only to allow for any problems getting back to the ship, but also because each passenger needs to go through a security check (including having any bags scanned) before getting back on board....and since the line start getting longer and longer closer to "on board time", my hubby prefers to get back before then.

For getting off the ship in port, for docked ports, the ship will be cleared by the portmaster and then passengers can leave the ship. But there will be line so if it's important to be off ASAP, you'll need to get in line early. Again, hubby doesn't like waiting in lines,so we'll eat breakfast, return to our cabin and leisurely get ready to go into port.

For tender ports, many cruise lines will give priority to those who booked excursions through the ship, those with high level of priority in the loyalty program, and perhaps those who booked the higher category cabins. That's for getting off the ship. Returning to the ship is first come, first serve to the boarding area in port.

We just cruised on the Norwegian jade. In 4 out of 5 ports, the time listed was the time people were allowed to start getting off. If you wanted to be the first one off the ship you may have had a slight line; but going down 10+ minutes after and you walked straight off.

So in tortola we were scheduled from 8-5. We walked off when we went down around 8:25 and made the 9:00 ferry to virgin gorda in plenty of time.

In one port we got delayed and did end up being late to our excursion. Luckily we had our phones and called and they held them for us.

All aboard time is generally 30 minutes prior to sailing... and they mean it. If all aboard was 3:30, we were pushing off the dock at or before 4. So you really want to be in the general vicinity of the ship at least 30 minutes before then so you aren't stressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For the most part, on my cruises the ship docks near schedule and is cleared to disembark soon after. At least on my most recent HAL cruises, there is a sign posted at the gangway with a reminder of the time you must be back onboard. Heed that sign.