Looking for Edinburgh embarkation advice from experienced.

Hi,

We'll be sailing out of Edinburgh August first on Azamara. They say the port is located at 100 Ocean Drive. We're thinking of going in two days early and staying at the Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Waterfront.

1. What's the best way & cost from the airport to the hotel.
  2. Is that hotel a good choice to be close to the port at a reasonable rate?
  3. Google maps said it is a three minute walk from my hotel to the port. Is that correct?
  4. How far is the hotel from downtown Edinburgh things to do?
  5. Is two days too much time to spend before our cruise or is there enough interesting things to see and do? Your recommendations please.

Thankx for your assistance.

Best way from any airport to any hotel is a taxi. It won't however be the cheapest. Tram and buses both serve the airport to the centre, then you could get a taxi, or another bus.

The hotel is in Leith. Plenty of buses from Ocean Terminal to the city centre.

You can easily fill two days. Edinburgh Festival is in August. If its on when you are there you can fill a week or two experiencing it, never mind two days! If not you won't have any problem filling a day.

You should also spend the best part of a day visiting the Royal Yacht Britannia which is near the hotel. Definately not to be missed.

Hi,

We'll be sailing out of Edinburgh August first on Azamara. They say the port is located at 100 Ocean Drive. We're thinking of going in two days early and staying at the Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Waterfront.

1. What's the best way & cost from the airport to the hotel.
  2. Is that hotel a good choice to be close to the port at a reasonable rate?
  3. Google maps said it is a three minute walk from my hotel to the port. Is that correct?
  4. How far is the hotel from downtown Edinburgh things to do?
  5. Is two days too much time to spend before our cruise or is there enough interesting things to see and do? Your recommendations please.

Thankx for your assistance.

As has been said above ..

1. You can either get a taxi from the airport to the hotel .. cost will depend on the traffic, especially as Edinburgh gets very busy during August with the beginning of the Edinburgh Festival, the Edinburgh Military Tattoo and generally being a popular holiday month. Alternative would be bus No. 35 from the airport to Ocean Terminal, which stops directly opposite your hotel (cost £1.60 per person (correct fare only) (2016 prices).

2. Hotel is a good choice as (a) it is directly opposite the cruise terminal (b) directly opposite the Ocean Terminal shopping mall / Royal Yacht Britannia and © is on several good bus routes in order to explore Edinburgh prior to your embarkation on Azamara Journey - Bus No. 35 (Palace of Holyroodhouse / Royal Mile), Bus Nos 11, 22 (Princes Street for Edinburgh Castle / art galleries / shopping / Princes Street Gardens). Lots of local restaurants within minutes walking distance from your hotel .. from local seafood to Michelin starred.

3. Less than three minutes walk from your hotel to the cruise terminal. You will literally be able to see Azamara Journey docking.

4. Hotel is around 4 miles from central Edinburgh, but as I said above, very easy access into the city centre, and lots of amenities in the local Leith area.

5. So much to do in Edinburgh in two days .. the hop on / hop off tour bus also stops beside Ocean Terminal shopping mall (and your hotel). Edinburgh is alive at that time of year .. from Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Mile, lots of museums and galleries, shopping, the cafe where JK Rowling was inspired to create Harry Potter, the Royal Yacht Britannia, Dynamic Earth, Arthur's Seat (extinct volcano which Edinburgh is built on), the Botanic Gardens .. the list goes on ..

I look forward to welcoming you at the Leith Cruise Liner Terminal next year when Azamara Journey arrives

Thank you for your confirmations & responses. Is there a ball park taxi cost range from the airport to cruise terminal area? Just trying to see if a private service would be cost effective. Don't want to haul luggage on the public bus.

Thankx.

Very dependent on traffic and whether a weekday or weekend .. but around £20-25 wouldn't be too far away

There are others here who are more 'expert' on Edinburgh than me. I am a Glaswegian (from glasgow, 40 miles away) who loves Edinburgh.

You are visiting one of the worlds greatest cities. If you can manage more time, do so. There is so much to see.

It's only my opinion, but I would stay nearer the city centre rather than the Leith waterfront.

Leith has some fabulous restaurants, but you would miss a lot not being more central.