1st timer: please evaluate plan and need beach

luckyinpa

for the past 2 weeks hearing about hurricanes i wasnt optimistic that i would be going but apparently now there is a chance we will be there the 19th.

so now i need to get to serious planning. we are not sit at the beach all day people but would like to see 'something' beach wise of course.

day 1, hoping to catch 1st ferry to hamilton then bus to the zoo and tom moores jungle. or should we do the jungle in the morning. or doesnt it matter since october is cooler? from research 10 and 11 bus will help us complete this route. also i appreciate lunch suggestions for this area of zoo or tom moores. i do believe tom moore has a tavern. and im sure there's something back in hamilton but didnt want to go back that far from zoo/jungle area

day 1 (extra time), if there is extra time, are there any beaches in that general area on the bus route that we may want to see. or i guess take bus back to hamilton and make sure we catch the last ferry. basically looking for filler day one once we do the zoo and jungle in case those dont take all day

day 2. tentative helmet dive in AM and i guess back to boat by 12 to change then we were doing BUEI because it looks cool.undecided to do lunch on the ship or in hamilton (must research food options). then after BUEI unsure what we are doing. i see botanical gardens and some parks on the map nearby. or would this be a good time to take a bus to warwick bay (i'm assuming this is possible but need to research ) and do the .5 mile walk to horseshoe and catch the 7 dollar shuttle to the boat when we are done at horseshoe? we are open to suggestions for after BUEI.

day 3. the standard dockyard crawl with the shops. we were thinking of moving BUEI to friday if we had a compelling reason to move it from thursday. but otherwise of course we need to be back before 2 to avoid being a pier runner. next do the ship we dont want to do the jetskis or snorkel park because paying for a beach is just wrong lol.

-----------

we looked at some things regarding st george and decided not to go there on this trip just FYI.

i do like to buy trinkets from places i go and i believe i even read that someone does custom jewelry within a day and it would be cool if we brought something nice back for my girlfriends daughter. i'm not a shopper per se but i do like exploring shops to see what is different from back home.

thanks for any suggestions and assistance on the timing of each of our stops

also my general impression is there isnt a ton to do at nite unless you are using a taxi and i read about snorkel beach parties. but is there anything else at nite to do close by the ship. ive read how safe bermuda is and i wouldnt mind exploring a bit of the nitelife so to speak . or even just getting out at some crazy hour to say i did it :)

Edited by luckyinpa

Tom Moore's Jungle was one of our favorite stops, you xould spend all day there if you wanted. We opted for The Swizzle Inn for lunch rather than Tom Moore's Tavern. Your Warwick / Horseshoe idea is excellent. If you like to snorkel then Snorkel Park is worth the $5 admission fee, to go as a beach destination I wouldn't recommend it. There is also a neat place called Glass Beach withing walking distance of the dockyard. Please read my review for some ideas. I highly recommend the 2 day transportation pass to use day 1 and 2, then stay nearer the dockyard day 3. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2401047&highlight=pride

for the past 2 weeks hearing about hurricanes i wasnt optimistic that i would be going but apparently now there is a chance we will be there the 19th.

so now i need to get to serious planning. we are not sit at the beach all day people but would like to see 'something' beach wise of course.

day 1, hoping to catch 1st ferry to hamilton then bus to the zoo and tom moores jungle. or should we do the jungle in the morning. or doesnt it matter since october is cooler? from research 10 and 11 bus will help us complete this route. also i appreciate lunch suggestions for this area of zoo or tom moores. i do believe tom moore has a tavern. and im sure there's something back in hamilton but didnt want to go back that far from zoo/jungle area

day 1 (extra time), if there is extra time, are there any beaches in that general area on the bus route that we may want to see. or i guess take bus back to hamilton and make sure we catch the last ferry. basically looking for filler day one once we do the zoo and jungle in case those dont take all day

day 2. tentative helmet dive in AM and i guess back to boat by 12 to change then we were doing BUEI because it looks cool.undecided to do lunch on the ship or in hamilton (must research food options). then after BUEI unsure what we are doing. i see botanical gardens and some parks on the map nearby. or would this be a good time to take a bus to warwick bay (i'm assuming this is possible but need to research ) and do the .5 mile walk to horseshoe and catch the 7 dollar shuttle to the boat when we are done at horseshoe? we are open to suggestions for after BUEI.

day 3. the standard dockyard crawl with the shops. we were thinking of moving BUEI to friday if we had a compelling reason to move it from thursday. but otherwise of course we need to be back before 2 to avoid being a pier runner. next do the ship we dont want to do the jetskis or snorkel park because paying for a beach is just wrong lol.

-----------

we looked at some things regarding st george and decided not to go there on this trip just FYI.

i do like to buy trinkets from places i go and i believe i even read that someone does custom jewelry within a day and it would be cool if we brought something nice back for my girlfriends daughter. i'm not a shopper per se but i do like exploring shops to see what is different from back home.

thanks for any suggestions and assistance on the timing of each of our stops

also my general impression is there isnt a ton to do at nite unless you are using a taxi and i read about snorkel beach parties. but is there anything else at nite to do close by the ship. ive read how safe bermuda is and i wouldnt mind exploring a bit of the nitelife so to speak . or even just getting out at some crazy hour to say i did it :)

If you have time on day 1 for a beach, John Smith's Bay is in the general area. It is a South Shore beach. You could do Tom Moore's Jungle and St. George's on Day 1. St. George does not take long, is a World Heritage Site and is a lot more worthwhile than the zoo. The zoo is small, and is not worth it unless you want to entertain small children.

Day 2 after doing BUEI doing the walk from Warwick to Horseshoe would work well. You get to see beautiful scenery and the South Shore beaches even if you don't go in the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

i have the bus schedule printed out. for instance it says for the 7 bus it runs every 30 minutes from hamilton. i do realize that means wherever i am it should be no more than 30 min for the next bus. however, are there any other maps/schedules that show approximate times at different points during the route?

it would be nice to know that i probably missed the bus by 5 min and i have a 25 min wait, or something like that.

i have the bus schedule printed out. for instance it says for the 7 bus it runs every 30 minutes from Hamilton. i do realize that means wherever i am it should be no more than 30 min for the next bus. however, are there any other maps/schedules that show approximate times at different points during the route?

it would be nice to know that i probably missed the bus by 5 min and i have a 25 min wait, or something like that.

I have a pdf of a bus schedule that show times to various points from wherever started. Most tourists will only use about 3 bus routes during their stay so the whole schedule does not have to be printed out. The routes used are #7 to the South Shore Beaches, #10 or #11 for BAMZ, Caves, Swizzle,TMJ, and St George. and #6 for St Davids.

Attached: Current bus_schedule.pdf

The more adventurous tourist may use more routes. If you need a route map (just shows routes, no times) to help planning, one is available.

SBtS

I have a pdf of a bus schedule that show times to various points from wherever started. Most tourists will only use about 3 bus routes during their stay so the whole schedule does not have to be printed out. The routes used are #7 to the South Shore Beaches, #10 or #11 for BAMZ, Caves, Swizzle,TMJ, and St George. and #6 for St Davids.

Attached: [ATTACH]396247[/ATTACH]

The more adventurous tourist may use more routes. If you need a route map (just shows routes, no times) to help planning, one is available.

SBtS

oh thats a good one. i think thats what i need. so now i can tell the 11 leaves 845 from hamilton and its 20 to the aquarium. alternatively. i can see what time it leaves from st geo and will arrive at the aquarium. i just wanted an approx wait time on each stop

i do see during the business day things are generally less than 30 minutes apart which is great, however seeing the 10 schedule at every hour is what i wanted to avoid waiting, for instance. 55 min for

thanks again!

SBtS

That is not actually the current schedule you have attached although the 2016 schedule may not have any changes. I have not compared the times.

http://www.gotobermuda.com/uploadedFiles/PageBuilder_Content/Maps_And_Brochures/BTA_BusSchedule_APRIL2016.pdf

Also they hand out the printed schedule a the Visitor Information Center in the cruise terminal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

• 2 months later...

SBtS

The copy of the bus schedule I attached in the quoted post is available at GOV.BM. Here is the link: https://www.gov.bm/sites/default/files/bus-schedule-april-2015.pdf

SBtS

• 1 month later...
With thousands of passengers going ashore how do the local buses cope with the numbers? Are there usually long lines everywhere?

There can be lines for the public buses and some might have to stand if going to or from the beaches. Also might have to wait for the next bus. They used to run "Special" Express public buses to the beach that helped a lot. They took those off last May. So if you are only going to Horseshoe Bay, the Minibus shuttles are preferable in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk