Nassau Self Made Excursions

jnorfolk79

Does anyone have any tips on creating your own excursion here? The excursions that Carnival offer, are so expensive. My husband and I would really like to go to a beach where we can get some drinks and do some water sports like snorkeling. Snorkeling doesn't have to be elaborate. We enjoy just looking around. I see that Junkanoo beach is close to the terminal and inexpensive, however I'm afraid it will be crowded as our ship doesn't dock until 11AM. Any tips, advice, or suggestions are appreciated!

None of the beaches on the island will have very good snorkeling, as they are all sandy beaches. (you need a rocky bottom or coral for fish to be around)

All of the snorkel excursions you see offered on the ship take you off the island to the areas with fish and sharks.

Cable Beach just to the west of the pier and downtown has some nice hotels with daypasses available for reasonable prices.

I know quite a few recommend Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island (Atlantis) but I have not tried that myself yet.

Either Cable Beach or Cabbage, you will have to figure a cab ride into your plans.

This Junkanoo thread shows pictures of both beaches...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2426603&page=2

Edited by bguppies

We have enjoyed the Melia on Cable Beach and the British Colonial Hilton in town.

Both offer day passes, but we went to the BCHilton just for tea, went to the Pirate's Museum across the street, then shopped on Bay St. (Our own excursion.)

We get day passes for the Melia- take a van taxi there- stay for 3 or 4 hours and then come back to the ship for lunch. Then we still have time for a short excursion in town.

There are good walking maps of Nassau online- folks can walk to the many of the lovely Nassau buildings.

Edited by cruiseapril

We were in Nassau over the summer and went to Love Beach-Nirvana Resort. I highly recommend it they didn't charge us for the chairs had a bar with food/drinks and all sorts of water sports equipment for rent. There was some decent snorkeling there as the was some sort of rock formation not far from the shore. The beach is located just past the Melia. We did the day pass at Melia in the past however now that they removed the water sports from the pass I do t think it's such a good value. I was just as happy to spend a few extra dollars for the taxi and had a very enjoyable day at love beach.

We have enjoyed the Melia on Cable Beach and the British Colonial Hilton in town.

Both offer day passes, but we went to the BCHilton just for tea, went to the Pirate's Museum across the street, then shopped on Bay St. (Our own excursion.)

We get day passes for the Melia- take a van taxi there- stay for 3 or 4 hours and then come back to the ship for lunch. Then we still have time for a short excursion in town.

There are good walking maps of Nassau online- folks can walk to the many of the lovely Nassau buildings.

How did you get the day pass for Melia Beach @ Cable Beach, and how much was the cab ride back & forth?

Thank you!

When we visited Nassau a couple years ago, we didn't plan any special excursions through the ship. Instead, we walked about 15-20 min to the Pirates of Nassau museum which is a walk-through museum that tells you about the pirate culture of Nassau during the golden age of piracy. :) It's not terribly expensive (about $15/pp as I recall) and doesn't take terribly long (maybe an hour, hour and a half tops). Leaves you plenty of time to walk around, check out the straw market, etc. :)

I must confess, I dragged DH and DS to this because I'm a bit of a pirate nut.

www-

The van taxi at the pier was $5 pp. They wait for the van to fill. Otherwise, we once got a taxi for $20 for three people.

We walked into the Melia and bought a day pass at the desk. We go in the morning to be sure to get a pass.

How much is the day pass when you buy it the day of? I saw you can pre-reserve on-line for $45 but would rather buy it there in case of bad weather.

I have booked independently for a sea lion adventure on Blue Lagoon Island. Haven't taken this trip yet, but it is the same vendor that the onboard excursions are booked through.

How long does this excursion take? We have some people in my group who like to sleep in, so I wondered if it can be done just in the afternoon.

but we went to the BCHilton just for tea, went to the Pirate's Museum across the street, then shopped on Bay St. (Our own excursion.)

I really like your self- excursion! Is the BCHilton in walking distance to the ship?

www-

The van taxi at the pier was $5 pp. They wait for the van to fill. Otherwise, we once got a taxi for $20 for three people.

We walked into the Melia and bought a day pass at the desk. We go in the morning to be sure to get a pass.

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I appreciate it!

That is where I will head! Seems like it might be worth it to wait for a Taxi, and maybe even ask around the ship to get a small group together & all set to leave first thing off the ship.

Thanks again!

How long does this excursion take? We have some people in my group who like to sleep in, so I wondered if it can be done just in the afternoon.

We booked an afternoon time. Their ferry will pick up at Paradise Island at 1:30, and we ferry back over at 4 pm, arriving on Paradise Island by 4:30/4:45. So yes, it can be done.

You can also spend the day on Blue Lagoon before your excursion if you've got the time. I say before because their last ferry lto Paradise Island leaves at 4pm. If you book a morning excursion you could spend the afternoon.