Hotel recommendations for Sorrento

ACJV

Want to spend three nights in the area. Would it be best to stay in Sorrento for touring Herculaneum and the Amalfi coast, or would another location be better. Need hotel recommendations in the area. Thank you.

Vicki

The only place that's really good for seeing the Amalfi Coast is somewhere along the coast itself, because of the limited road and heavy traffic.

That said, it's hard to get off the coast to visit somewhere else, so if you want to include Herculeneum Sorrento is probably your best bet.

You haven't shared the time of year for your trip, if it's during the high season (between May and October) you can use the ferry to get from Sorrento to the Amalfi Coast, which will save you time and be much more comfortable than a bus or even a car, if the traffic is bad.

Ercolano Scavi (Herculeneum) is easily reached from Sorrento via the Circumvesuviana rail. Again, if it's high season you can opt for the slightly more expensive but so much more comfortable Campania Express service rather than the crowded, stop every three minutes local train.

I've only stayed in one hotel in Sorrento but I can recommend it: http://www.bristolsorrento.com/

Want to spend three nights in the area. Would it be best to stay in Sorrento for touring Herculaneum and the Amalfi coast, or would another location be better. Need hotel recommendations in the area. Thank you.

Vicki

In Sorrento, I stayed at Hotel del Mare. Look on trip advisor for reviews.

Have fun:)

In Sorrento, I stayed at Hotel del Mare. Look on trip advisor for reviews.

Have fun:)

Sorrento is a wonderful place to visit--at the beginng of the Amalfi Coast.You can visit the 2 old roman ruins by train and its relatively easy to get to Capri also.The Hotel Ecelssior Vittoria in Sorrento is expensive but one of the great hotels of Italy.

Sorrento is a wonderful place to visit--at the beginng of the Amalfi Coast.You can visit the 2 old roman ruins by train and its relatively easy to get to Capri also.The Hotel Ecelssior Vittoria in Sorrento is expensive but one of the great hotels of Italy.

I'm curious what Roman ruins you are referring to?

Sorrento has a notable absence of Roman ruins compared to many older towns in the area. What ruins there are have mainly been found down nearer the shore. There are a (very) few pieces of old wall incorporated into newer walls, and there is a small museum with some Roman finds from the area.

I stayed there for about 10 days about 3-4 years ago, and trust me we did not find much. We did eat dinner one night at La Lanterna, a restaurant built over a Roman bathing complex with some plexiglas panels in the floor that let you look down while you're dining to see the mosaics below. Very average food and terrible service, though, so I don't recommend it.

So I am intrigued by your mention. What did you see?