May 29 Cruise to Bermuda

rer0538

We will be sailing from NJ to Bermuda May 29, 2016. This is our first trip to Bermuda and would greatly appreciate info on shore excursions. Since this is our first trip I thought and overall tour 4hr or 5hr tour would be great. We have four in our party would prefer a private tour vs. bus or group tour.

Thank you

Ron and Diana

OP, since the thread is so long and started a number of years ago, it's best to start at the end and read backwards. You will get more current info that way.:)

Thanks for pointing out how the thread is arranged that was very helpful.

Ron and Diana

OP, since the thread is so long and started a number of years ago, it's best to start at the end and read backwards. You will get more current info that way.:)

That is why I posted the link to the last page :D

That is why I posted the link to the last page :D

When I click the link you posted it opens to the first page. You would think it would open to the last page when you copy the link from that last page, but that does not seem to be the way it works when you link from Cruise Critic. Links from Cruise Critic always send me to the first page of a thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I click the link you posted it opens to the first page. You would think it would open to the last page when you copy the link from that last page, but that does not seem to be the way it works when you link from Cruise Critic. Links from Cruise Critic always send me to the first page of a thread.

HMMM maybe because it was the first time you were looking at the thread ??

still opens on page 26 for me :confused:

Thanks for pointing out how the thread is arranged that was very helpful.

Ron and Diana

There is good info on tour operators in that thread.

We had good luck ourselves using a Blue Flag taxi for six of us for a four hour tour that we did not arrange in advance. The Blue Flag taxi drivers are trained to do tours. We got ours in front of the cruise ship terminal in Hamilton but if you are docking at the Dockyard there is an easy to find location where the the taxis that do tours are located. Whenever I walked by there always seemed to be tour taxis available. Also at the Dockyard there are private minibus tours available. The locations for those are also posted on signs at the Dockyard.

Edited by Charles4515

HMMM maybe because it was the first time you were looking at the thread ??

still opens on page 26 for me :confused:

Apparently that is the way Tapatalk which is the forum app I use for Cruise Critic on my mobile devices works. On my computer which I rarely use anymore for CC it does open the link to page 26. On Tapatalk on my iPad that last page is page 51 but it opens page 1.

Edited by Charles4515

There is good info on tour operators in that thread.

We had good luck ourselves using a Blue Flag taxi for six of us for a four hour tour that we did not arrange in advance. The Blue Flag taxi drivers are trained to do tours. We got ours in front of the cruise ship terminal in Hamilton but if you are docking at the Dockyard there is an easy to find location where the the taxis that do tours are located. Whenever I walked by there always seemed to be tour taxis available. Also at the Dockyard there are private minibus tours available. The locations for those are also posted on signs at the Dockyard.

Thanks this is good info we appreciate you sharing your experience.

Ron and Diana

It opens on page 26 for me but since those posts are from 2012, lots can have changed in four years and that is why I said to read backwards.

Ok I just realized I have my settings set to show more posts per page

so my page 26 may not be the same as others

sorry for the confusion :o

We are also sailing to Bermuda on May 29. We booked a tour about 2 months ago, and her dates were filling up quite fast, so by all means, now isn't too early to look for and book a tour. Everyone seems to have their favorite guide.

Second trip to Bermuda for us. Can't wait. You are going to LOVE it. It's SO beautiful, and also very easy to get around on your own. Have a great trip!

We are also sailing to Bermuda on May 29. We booked a tour about 2 months ago, and her dates were filling up quite fast, so by all means, now isn't too early to look for and book a tour. Everyone seems to have their favorite guide.

Second trip to Bermuda for us. Can't wait. You are going to LOVE it. It's SO beautiful, and also very easy to get around on your own. Have a great trip!

Thank you we are looking forward to the cruise. Appreciate the advise arranging for tour.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...
I know it changes - but do you know how the ship (Summit) docks in Bermuda, which side up next to the port?

It does change, but if I was cruising on the Summit, I would select a cabin on the port side , YMMV, so you would be facing the dock; but, I must add that either side of the cruise ship offers good views, JMHO.

SBtS

I know it changes - but do you know how the ship (Summit) docks in Bermuda, which side up next to the port?

The last two times I was on Summit the port side faced the Dockyard. But you can't count on that. They switch around to do maintenance and test lifeboats. Some pictures below. First Summit and Breakaway in 2015. Then Summit in 2014. Lastly Breakaway in 2014. Notice something? Breakaway was docked on a different side in 2014 than 2015. They can be docked either way. I would not make that much of the Summit being on the port side my last two times.

9c9adb77f74418468d5def4507bf51cf.jpg

49ddbfe7b189a95d888da2cbd2224148.jpg

3d7364c9389eb730e2a13bfc901a7561.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

Charles, did you cruise when they docked in both Hamilton and St. George? Not only did one not know which side they would dock but in St. George, one didn't even know which dock since they used Ordnance Island and Penno's Wharf. I did a back to back and one week it was Penno's and the next week Ordnance.:D

Charles, did you cruise when they docked in both Hamilton and St. George? Not only did one not know which side they would dock but in St. George, one didn't even know which dock since they used Ordnance Island and Penno's Wharf. I did a back to back and one week it was Penno's and the next week Ordnance.:D

Yes, I did six cruises that docked in both Hamilton and St. George. All six times the ship docked at Penno's Wharf. An NCL ship that only docked in St. George was always docked at Ordnance Island.

Edited by Charles4515