Connecting flight at Dulles

FritzG

I can't find any info on Dulles' website for connecting flights.

We are arriving on a UA flight from CLE using the D gates. Our flight to CPH leaves from the B gates. It looks like we have to take a shuttle since the trains don't service D gates. Will we have to go through the security checkpoints again? Also, if we go from Concourse B to a different concourse will we have to got through security again?

The train does indeed not serve Terminal D. There is still mobile lounge (aka moon buggy) service from C to D. You will take the train from B to C, and the mobile lounge from C to D. You shouldn't need to leave security.

I'm not a total expert at IAD, so I think that's the best way to do it, but I could be wrong. It's been 1.5 years since I have been there.

No, you will not have to go through security again. C and D are really one very long concourse. You can walk to the train from D concourse but I don't recommend it unless your arrival gate is near where D becomes C. There is a mobile lounge from D to B.

We are arriving on a UA flight from CLE using the D gates. Our flight to CPH leaves from the B gates.....

How have you determined you will arrive at a D gate? Has this flight historically been arriving at a D gate? I assume you are on a United Express flight; they often land at terminal A.

My long haul flights from SFO to IAD seem to arrive at either C or D without any rhyme or reason that I can determine. I was wondering if perhaps you may end up at a C gate or maybe even an A gate (?)

How have you determined you will arrive at a D gate? Has this flight historically been arriving at a D gate? I assume you are on a United Express flight; they often land at terminal A.

My long haul flights from SFO to IAD seem to arrive at either C or D without any rhyme or reason that I can determine. I was wondering if perhaps you may end up at a C gate or maybe even an A gate (?)

Yes, I've been tracking it, but I'd be very happy if it moved to an A or C gate.

Concourse A would be the best for you. You just go up an escalator and you are in concourse B. B is mainly international flights, and it has the best shops and restaurants at IAD. A is regional jets, and it has the ambiance of a bus station.

You will either need to take a mobile lounge (as others have mentioned), or you can walk down to the train in Concourse C and take the train to Concourses A/B. It might be a bit of walking and won't be practical if you have a short layover, but if you have a longer layover it's a nice walk and avoids the mobile lounges (which I find to be slow and always crowded).

Archived