Sete?

Larainerenee

This port is one of our stops next September - I searched this board, but nothing came up - anyone have any info on this?

We were in Sete in May of 08. Sete is basically a port with a decent harbor and a fishing industry. It is somewhat quaint but in all honesty not that much to do there. We opted instead to take the train to Nimes which is less than an hour by train. The train station is easy enough to walk to. If you are not interested in Nimes then another place that would be interesting is to take the train to Montpellier which is even closer. Nimes is in Provence and has been inhabited for over 2000 years.There is a Roman Amphitheater as well as a Roman temple there and they are in great shape. A beautiful garden and fountains along with many outdoor cafes and a very good art museum will add to your list of things to do there.If you decide to go Montpellier that city is only 1000 years old and it has the oldest medical university in France. It is a beautiful city and well worth a visit. If you opt for either you will still have some time to stroll around Sete. Good luck in whatever you decide.

-Irwin (aka Rodan)

Sete is on the Etang de Thau and as Rodan said it is a port and also a large base for the petrochemical industry. Not a lot to do.

Nearby places include Montpellier, which is one of the oldest university towns in France.There is a wonderful mix of old and modern architecture - I like to go there for lunch on the river.

If you like oysters you will be in heaven at nearby Bouzigues - some of the most famous in France. Good fish restaurants along the quai, sleepy village. Meze is another sleepy village further along the shore of the etang. Nimes is packed with history and good food. Aigues Mortes is fab, the old walled town has squares and narrow streets and cute stores. Good local wines include Picpoul de Pinet and Frontignan. You're not far from the Carmargue with its amazing wetlands, bulls and horses and flamingoes.

Hope this helps! This area is a couple of hours from my home and we visit often.

Actually, I quite like Sete. It has a wide seawater canal running the length of the town with great seafood restaurants on either side. I don't suppose there is a lot to DO, but the town itself, around this canal, is picturesque and there are lots of restaurants. I don't remember seeing the port part, so it doesn't intrude on the town.

Sete.jpg.34e924e2859889f6a7668f97e0f125af.jpg

Edited by Ainhoa

• 2 weeks later...

There is a very nice beach between Sete and Marseillan, for me one of the best in the South of France. And in Marseillan (about 20 km from Sete) the cellars of Noilly Prat can be visited which is very interesting.

• 1 year later...

I am a canadian living in Sète and love it! It is an authentic, lively town called the "Venice of France" bordered by canals on one side and the Mediterranean sea with fabulous sandy beaches on the other. Amazing galleries, 3 art museums, a local indoor market with plenty of seafood. There is a new gourmet walking tour to be operated in Sète starting next April dedicated to cruise ship passengers which can make the stay well worth while.

• 4 weeks later...

We have found Sete to be a nice fishing village with some decent eating venues (primarily seafood) on or near the harbor. That being said, Carcasonne is an amazing city worth the 1 1/2 hour drive. We personally prefer to rent a car and drive ourselves since the car will cost us about $100. If we take another couple the cost of driving gets down to about $25 per person. Most cruise lines charge over $150 per person for an excursion to Carcasonne and then usually give them a lunch in a mediocre restaurant that caters to large groups (but of course they serve cassoulet).

Hank

• 3 months later...

I'm rather surprised when I read that cruise ship passengers get off the ship, get onto a bus, ride for 2 hours,wander Carcassonne for 4 hours and drive another 2 hours back. Why don't they stroll the streets of Sète which is according to the Daily Telegraph UK "the most fascinating town" on the Mediterranean coast. A gourmet walking tour is available, as well as outings to the local oyster farms, fabulous seafood restaurants, colorful buildings lining the canal, a fantastic daily market with abundant local produce, 5 museums, 22 art galleries, cycling paths, endless sandy beaches bordering the Mediterranean...

I would highly recommend Sete - an authentic fishing port with the best beaches (12k) on the Mediterranean and an abundance of cultural events (jazz festivals, national theatre, poetry, etc.) and the famous water jousting.

Ideal for cruise ship passengers who appreciate food and wine (you'll be in France, after all!), is a half-day gourmet walking tour (see website: http://southernfranceluxury.com/gourmet-walking-tour/) While strolling along the canals (Sete is known as the Venice of Southern France), you will discover where the French buy the best wine, oysters, pastries, coffee and much more. (With plenty of sampling - best oysters and roquefort EVER.)

Unfortunately, I find that cruise operators tend to supply information only for visits to more touristy spots like Carcassane in this case. (A well-restored fort but talk about Disneyfied!!!). And why waste 2-3 hours sitting in a bus?

I'm rather surprised when I read that cruise ship passengers get off the ship, get onto a bus, ride for 2 hours,wander Carcassonne for 4 hours and drive another 2 hours back. Why don't they stroll the streets of Sète which is according to the Daily Telegraph UK "the most fascinating town" on the Mediterranean coast. A gourmet walking tour is available, as well as outings to the local oyster farms, fabulous seafood restaurants, colorful buildings lining the canal, a fantastic daily market with abundant local produce, 5 museums, 22 art galleries, cycling paths, endless sandy beaches bordering the Mediterranean...

we were in sete in 2009 and had a great time just wandering round through the streets ,walking along the side of the canal .

it was a sunday and a lot of the shops were closed,we found a market and in a small park area there was a flower market, mostly roses which delighted me as i grow roses.

we spent an hour or so in the afternoon just sitting in a seafood resturant next to the canal and watched the world go past.

the ship was berthed in front of a block of flats and the people came out to wave to us as we sailed away.

we liked sete and found the people very friendly, and my french is, well enough said.

• 2 weeks later...

On Our port stop in Sete we spent the morning in Montpellier, and then had time in the afternoon to stroll around Sete and enjoy a nice bowl of mussels at an outdoor restaurant overlooking the canal.

Edited by CJcruzer

• 3 years later...

We are in Sete in July and would love to go to Marseillan - apparently the Noilly Prat winery/factory is great, as is the waterfront.

Des anyone know of any tours etc from Sete to Marseillan?

many thanks,

Hilary

Hi Hilary,

Nancy McGee lives and runs a travel business Absolutely Southern France in Sète. She offers tours of all kinds in the area including gourmet walking tours in Sète and outings to Marseillan and the oyster beds in the lagoon.

Hi Hilary,

Nancy McGee lives and runs a travel business Absolutely Southern France in Sète. She offers tours of all kinds in the area including gourmet walking tours in Sète and outings to Marseillan and the oyster beds in the lagoon.

Thanks Setoise, will try and get in contact with Nancy then