Kralenduk, Bonaire

deanna41

DH, 19 y.o. daughter and I were in Bonaire for the first time this last December and all agreed it was the highlight of our cruise. The port is right in town. There were tour companies available in little tents right at the port. Across the street was an outdoor market with high quality arts and crafts at good prices. We thought the town itself was charming - small but with quite a few cute shops and restaurants.

We made advance reservations for drift snorkeling with Woodwind tours. It was a great tour.

The only thing which would have improved our day in Bonaire was 3 more hours so we could enjoy dinner at one of the quaint restaurants with a beautiful outdoor patio.

This is our favorite island. When we look at doing the Southern Caribbean we always pick the cruise with Bonaire as one of the ports. We really enjoy snorkeling. We go to the Plaza Resort which is about a 15 minute walk or they have a shuttle that will pick you up. When we were there last year the shuttle was a green van. The snorkeling is amazing and there is a reef just off shore and the fish come up and check you out while you are snorkeling. Last year the Plaza Resort cost us $10.00 each but we have our own snorkel equipment. We didn’t have time to check out the downtown last year but this March we will be in port for 12 hours so we a planning on walking around downtown. I will report back in April when we return about the downtown and shopping.

Thanks will be waiting for your report. We do not snorkel, but our (adult)children do and are always looking for an easy place, this sounds like a good one for them. They too have there own equipment. Thanks again

Here is the link to the Plaza Resort and the email I got from them about pricing.

http://www.plazaresortbonaire.com

I emailed them Dec 17, 2012 to make sure they still had day passes.

Yes we do offer day passes. It would be $15 per person for a non-alcoholic drink, sun bed, use of facilities and towel.

When you return the towel, you will receive $5 back!

Just visit the gate at the front entrance that day and purchase your passes!

• 2 months later...
Thanks so much for that. I don't know it its to far out to try and book a tour but now I have some info thanks again.. Anyone else finds out something please pass it along

I don't think it's too early at all to book a tour. We had one in mind for our Feb. 2014 cruise. It was for drift snorkeling on the Woodwind. They have one boat that does two trips daily. Only holds 24 and when we booked last month (remember a full year out) they only had 4 spots available.

Bonaire is very arid. It has terrain and vegeation similar to Arizona and Nevada. I call it "tropical desert." So it does have some tropical aspects combined with the desert terrain.

The water is so clear and an incredible blue. Bonaire is also known for its salt flats and a large lake which is home to flamingos. You can see the high mounds of salt piles in the distance as your ship docks. WE were told that much of Bonaire's salt is sold to the US's northern states that use it to protect highways when snow and blizzards hit.

We thought Bonaire was very neat and clean and has not succumbed to building huge condo towers and humongous hotel resorts. I would call the architecture quaint and welcoming. It is not overdeveloped such as some Mexican resorts. I would call Bonaire largely "unspoiled" by modern malls, large highways, and commercialization. It is a rare gem indeed.

Hubby says it was his favorite island on our Southern Caribbean cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived