Not the deal I was expecting - NCL

Malamel

I just got back from my first solo cruise on the Breakaway and LOVED it. I plan on taking another one, and wanted to do so around my birthday. But I thought the point of the studio rooms was making it affordable for solo cruisers to travel. On my last cruise, I paid about $200 more for the studio than it would have been to get an inside with a roommate and pay for half. While pricing my next cruise, I found out it would only be $200 more to get an inside with a roommate and pay for both of us. Something doesn't seem right about this.

cruisemay2015_zpsd21a84d5.jpg

Hi, agreed- but it is early as well. Would you be able to book later on seeing how you might not need airfare? The prices are bizarre for the October 5th cruise as well. A Studio is $1,261 and a Balcony is $999!!

Last year I booked a Studio for $999 and then got a balcony for $100 more a week before.

This year, I can get a Balcony (BX so far) in October for $999, but I lucked out in February and got my Studio for only $545 so i would need more of a drop to make it worthwhile.

I did look at that particular week for this past year and prices did indeed drop as there was more supply in mid-May.

It seems to me that studio cabins are often not that good of a deal. This is why I recommend that people NOT get caught up in the "single supplement" conundrum, but instead simply set a daily budget for what you are willing to spend and then shop for cruises within that parameter.

Howard, what's the date of your next trip? That price is incredible! I must travel February 14th week cuz school is closed.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

October 19th- I booked it February, either a fluke or rare promotion that day. Haven't decided if I will upgrade. Balcony's are at $1,000 but that would be a $450+ upgrade. If they go to $725 or less I might

I'm going on the Getaway, studio, the week of Feb. 14. That's Prez week. Prices haven't moved yet. I'm still hoping for a balcony, but I think that happened last year during Easter week. It's hard when you can only travel when schools out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Try to see it from another point of view. The Studio cabins...are another experience rather than simply looking for the cheaper price. Sure a shared inside may be cheaper per person than a studio, but then you lose card access to the Studio Lounge. Not only that, if you are sharing an inside room, technically speaking you lose more square footage per person. Some people really like they're privacy, I know I do!

Now if you choose an inside over a studio and you're lucky enough to have it all to yourself, you've got more square footage but miss out on the Studio lounge amenities. You actually are paying for that 24 hour access, not just during the scheduled solo meetup, which I see as a plus! :)

Try to see it from another point of view. The Studio cabins...are another experience rather than simply looking for the cheaper price. Sure a shared inside may be cheaper per person than a studio, but then you lose card access to the Studio Lounge. Not only that, if you are sharing an inside room, technically speaking you lose more square footage per person. Some people really like they're privacy, I know I do!

Now if you choose an inside over a studio and you're lucky enough to have it all to yourself, you've got more square footage but miss out on the Studio lounge amenities. You actually are paying for that 24 hour access, not just during the scheduled solo meetup, which I see as a plus! :)

I agree with you totally; I found it was nice even just meeting other studio people within the corridors of the studio on the Epic. Also, the Studio eliminates some things like the desk (had one on the inside in the Jewel)

I really don't think the studio net square footage after all was said and done was much smaller than a inside.

If the spread for me to upgrade is low come October I'll do it again but other than that I am happy in the studio.

I am pleased that the Escape will have 83 studios; I might go ahead and book that shortly

I agree with you totally; I found it was nice even just meeting other studio people within the corridors of the studio on the Epic. Also, the Studio eliminates some things like the desk (had one on the inside in the Jewel)

I really don't think the studio net square footage after all was said and done was much smaller than a inside.

If the spread for me to upgrade is low come October I'll do it again but other than that I am happy in the studio.

I am pleased that the Escape will have 83 studios; I might go ahead and book that shortly

Hi Howard! Your name looks familiar. Did you sail the Breakaway last December? I was an original member of that roll call but had to back out. I'll be sailing the Breakway this November and look forward to finally getting a first hand experience of the studios!!

Hi Howard! Your name looks familiar. Did you sail the Breakaway last December? I was an original member of that roll call but had to back out. I'll be sailing the Breakway this November and look forward to finally getting a first hand experience of the studios!!

Hello, I actually went mid-September and am going back again as it is very easy to go from NYC :)

I just got back from my first solo cruise on the Breakaway and LOVED it. I plan on taking another one, and wanted to do so around my birthday. But I thought the point of the studio rooms was making it affordable for solo cruisers to travel. On my last cruise, I paid about $200 more for the studio than it would have been to get an inside with a roommate and pay for half. While pricing my next cruise, I found out it would only be $200 more to get an inside with a roommate and pay for both of us. Something doesn't seem right about this.

The point is: you didn't have to get a roommate. In theory, a Studio is supposed to be cheaper than getting an inside and paying for it for JUST YOURSELF. This is what we call a single supplement of 100% -- which is why we have a long thread about Solo deals where people in a cabin by themselves get to pay much much less than the price for two people.

For example, when I booked my cabin on Breakaway, I booked a balcony guarantee. Instead of paying the same amount as two people, I paid 50% more than the price I would pay if I got a roommate and paid for half.

The Studio cabins are a little bit special and if you are lucky, you can find pricing where you can get a regular inside for just one person and pay LESS than for a Studio. Keep shopping and watch for a price drop.

I agree and that is why I am getting a studio for my first NCL cruise on the Breakaway December 14th. I could have gotten an inside cabin instead of a studio for just $200 more but figure the studio lounge access and meeting other solo cruisers was worth it. :D As for sharing a cabin -- naturally that's going to be cheaper than having your own space.