New Cheap Airline about $10

claven

Hey! That's too cool because I saw a show on these guys about 2 months ago. I was wondering when they were going to start up, very interesting. I'll be watching them more closely, thanks for posting this!

Here is a new article, this should also help lower the fare of other CMH flights.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/local/sfl-424skybus,0,2644570.story?coll=sfla-business-headlines

More Info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skybus_Airlines

These points really stand out, It should be very interesting. I might fly them this fall, cant beat $40 r/t to Oakland.

Cost Reduction

In an effort to keep maintenance and operating costs to a minimum, most equipment purchased will be uniform. This covers the full range of equipment, from engines, to electrical components, to personnel gear. Because of this, Skybus plans on paying significantly less on employee training and for equipment service.

Another major method of cost reduction will be to utilize secondary airports, which are generally less congested and charge less to lease space. To save even more money at the airport, passengers will board directly from the apron instead of using the jetway, saving both loading/unloading time as well as operating costs. Finally, ticket sales will be 98% online. This not only saves on employee costs, but will completely eliminate the need for a reservations call center.

[edit] Employee Wages

In order to keep wages in line with their projected low fares, flight attendants will only be paid $9 per flight hour, and will not be paid per diem. While this is considerably lower than competing airlines' wages, flight attendants will also receive 10% of all sales made during the flight, splitting all commissions evenly among all flight attendants on-board. Starting pilot wages will also be well below average, starting at $65,000 annually. The average commercial airline pilot wage is approximately $135,000.[9]

[edit] Increasing Revenue

While cutting costs is a high priority for Skybus, revenue is their primary focus. Skybus aircraft will be outfitted as flying gift shops, selling everything from soda and food to perfumes, watches, clothing, and toiletries. Passengers are prohibited from bringing food onboard the aircraft - everything consumed onboard must be bought from the airline.

Advertisements will also be seen throughout the cabin and exterior. This will include overhead bins, carpet, tray tables, and full-body exterior advertisements (see below). The price for interior advertisements has not been released, though a company who purchases a full-body advertisement can also buy all interior advertisements for a small increase in price. A complete list of where advertisements will be placed has not been released, however, and what the interior will look like is also unknown.[10]

gosh i looked what a deal but what does it mean that they are not FFA approved?/ also they have cruises too..

They can't actually fly passengers until FAA approved but they have a waiver to begin ticket sales pending approval.

They can't actually fly passengers until FAA approved but they have a waiver to begin ticket sales pending approval.

Ahhh, that makes sense! So, they are expecting FAA approval soon then, I imagine.

So flight attendants get a cut from the sales. How about the pilots? They make 65k whereas the average is 135k...what is their incentive? Or are these the pilots who barely passed their tests and won't be hired by anyone else ? ;)

So flight attendants get a cut from the sales. How about the pilots? They make 65k whereas the average is 135k...what is their incentive? Or are these the pilots who barely passed their tests and won't be hired by anyone else ? ;)

More pilots than $135K jobs.

Steve

Cost Reduction

In an effort to keep maintenance and operating costs to a minimum, most equipment purchased will be uniform. This covers the full range of equipment, from engines, to electrical components, to personnel gear. Because of this, Skybus plans on paying significantly less on employee training and for equipment service.

[edit] Employee Wages

In order to keep wages in line with their projected low fares, flight attendants will only be paid $9 per flight hour, and will not be paid per diem. While this is considerably lower than competing airlines' wages, flight attendants will also receive 10% of all sales made during the flight, splitting all commissions evenly among all flight attendants on-board. Starting pilot wages will also be well below average, starting at $65,000 annually. The average commercial airline pilot wage is approximately $135,000.

I don't know that I'd be flying on an airplane who's owners want to keep maintenance costs to a minimum (sounds like cutting corners to me) nor do I think I'd want to fly with an under paid crew.

I checked their website, and the flights from CMH to FLL for our cruise on the Valor in June would be about $160 each, plus baggage fee, etc. Significantly cheaper than most airlines. Didn't really care for the flight times though...very late in the evening going and coming home.

I don't know that I'd be flying on an airplane who's owners want to keep maintenance costs to a minimum (sounds like cutting corners to me) nor do I think I'd want to fly with an under paid crew.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to fly on a plane where the cabin crew work on commission, and I'm a captive audience. :eek: Can you imagine the high-pressure sales pitches one might be prey to?

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to fly on a plane where the cabin crew work on commission, and I'm a captive audience. :eek: Can you imagine the high-pressure sales pitches one might be prey to?

They can pitch away..I know how to say no and I've saved money. :)

LMAO...I actually didn't think about that but now that I am, I don't think I'd have a hard time telling them to E.S.B.M. should the sales pitch(es) get old LOL.

Heard a caller into WTVN radio this morning who said he booked 4 round trip tickets to LA dirt cheap. He's taking his kids to Disneyland.

Unfortunately DH & I have already purchased our tickets for our Sept. Mex. Riviera cruise out of San Pedro. We paid significantly more for our tickets but are flying into Long Beach much cheaper than tickets to LAX were costing at the time we booked.

DH suggested we might try a short Skybus trip sometime this summer just for the heck of it but sometime when we aren't going on a cruise. We're still a little leary about ``getting to the port on time'' with Skybus until we see the new lines track (or is that flight?) record.

Dianne

Heard a caller into WTVN radio this morning who said he booked 4 round trip tickets to LA dirt cheap. He's taking his kids to Disneyland.

Unfortunately DH & I have already purchased our tickets for our Sept. Mex. Riviera cruise out of San Pedro. We paid significantly more for our tickets but are flying into Long Beach much cheaper than tickets to LAX were costing at the time we booked.

DH suggested we might try a short Skybus trip sometime this summer just for the heck of it but sometime when we aren't going on a cruise. We're still a little leary about ``getting to the port on time'' with Skybus until we see the new lines track (or is that flight?) record.

Dianne

am i missing something here? didn't someone just post that they are not, in fact, permitted to fly, but rather may only begin selling tickets pending approval? you cld be stuck w/ no flight at all.

Dianne

I agree with you on the track record bit. Thats why we tried it for a weekend trip to a wedding rather than a cruise. We will know after that whether its something we want to trust for a cruise. That being said, I don't ever fly in the day of either. For $72 I'm willing to give them a shot.

It looks like all flights have to be routed through Columbus. So technically you could fly from Boston to Columbus and then on to Seattle. Only problem is it looks like they have a VERY limited flight schedule - with some flights arriving in the wee hours (only have 1 plane for each designation?). It will be interesting to see what happens once they are up and running.

Snista:

We very rarely fly in the day of cruise unless there is no other way of taking a cruise a really want.

That being said, I still don't think I'd take Skybus to a cruise port yet even the day before a cruise until I see the company's flight record. I want to be alive when I get on that cruise.:D

Dianne

Snista:

We very rarely fly in the day of cruise unless there is no other way of taking a cruise a really want.

That being said, I still don't think I'd take Skybus to a cruise port yet even the day before a cruise until I see the company's flight record. I want to be alive when I get on that cruise.:D

Dianne

I hear ya! Again, that's why this flight isn't for a cruise. :) Cruise is first so if I die it will be after. LOL

Archived