Grand Cayman snorkel, Sunset House or Cheeseburger Reef

snc_cam

Looking at the information for the two Grand Cayman snorkel sites, Sunset House and Cheeseburger Reef, they both appear to be good sites. For the folks that have snorkeled them, which is better?

Thanks

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

It has been awhile since we have been in Grand Cayman, but I preferred Sunset House over Cheeseburger Reef. The best shore dive there in my opinion is the one next to the Turtle Farm I can't remember the actual name of the site, there is a restaurant there. Another favorite that is easily accessible from a ship is Eden Rock. Look to the right of downtown when you dock, it is the Blue building. Lots of swim throughs.

Second the vote for Eden Rock. Dive shop rents lockers and the entry is by ladder. And when you were ready for a break, Paradise Restaurant had good views and good food. We also love Smith's Cove. No dive shop or restaurant, but there is nice bathrooms. Grand Cayman is our favorite island!!!

Second the vote for Eden Rock. Dive shop rents lockers and the entry is by ladder. And when you were ready for a break, Paradise Restaurant had good views and good food. We also love Smith's Cove. No dive shop or restaurant, but there is nice bathrooms. Grand Cayman is our favorite island!!!

Glad to hear another favorable report about Eden Rock.

We also like snorkeling at Smith Cove. Secluded beach, very few people. Sunset House does have some pretty tasty conch fritters though. It's an easy 1 mile walk from the port. The two are quite close together.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We did the shipwreck and reef snorkel through carnival last year in GC. I highly recommend. The U.S.S kittiwake rests in 50 or so feet of water, and if I recall the superstructure came to within 10 feet of the surface. If you are a decent diver you can dive down and look in the windows of the bridge. They then took us to what I believe was cheeseburger reef, which had some excellent marine life (I'm a marine biologist by day and really enjoyed this site). After getting back I still had time for lunch and a snorkel in front of whatever that restaraunt by the water is, and a trip to seven mile beach.

just learned that Cheeseburger is a new name for what we old timers know as Soto's Central . . . from this map of dive sites . . .

10393962_10152745693365132_8788471769796372322_n.jpg?oh=4a7d82be8fa7968040ca8a7fb01a5735&oe=54C5AA74&__gda__=1420480975_9b83f0d5caa206c2d3df43d4eee6d42e

It's too bad that map is so small its unreadable... it would probably answer my question. ;)

Where did you find it? My interweb googler can't seem to locate anything nearly that nice. :(

Sunset House put this on their FB feed last week.

Unfortunately it is not high res and I can only blow it up to letter size and stay readable

but try saving it and printing it (landscape)

I was gonna print it poster size but no go on that one it this form

Sunset House put this on their FB feed last week.

Thanks for the info. It's still on their FB page and it's perfectly readable. Ironically enough, my search for the map led me to some photos that helped me determine a spot where the reef is much closer to shore than Eden Rock... Sunset House! It seems like kismet. That's where we're going. :cool:

Thanks for the info. It's still on their FB page and it's perfectly readable. Ironically enough, my search for the map led me to some photos that helped me determine a spot where the reef is much closer to shore than Eden Rock... Sunset House! It seems like kismet. That's where we're going. :cool:

Yeah, another fellow O-town person... (grew up in Casselberry).

So, if I understand correctly, you are recommending Sunset House over Eden Rock?

So, if I understand correctly, you are recommending Sunset House over Eden Rock?

Not necessarily. I've only been to Eden Rock. It's a great spot, which is why I've always gone back.

This time my wife wants to try a different spot. One that doesn't require as much of a swim out. To me, it's no big deal... but what do I know? I swam out to the ledge from Bohio Resort in Grand Turk. (That's a long swim!)

While looking for Sunset House's dive map I saw an aerial photo showing the reef there. It's right at the shoreline, so we're going to check it out. :cool:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFcSY2-7SgsV0WKWO5v-UdJaTqHQAPi5Mrk5ROh3WpAxRw8a7W

• 2 weeks later...

Any one have an opinion on cemetery beach, verses the others closer to the pier? I was planning on checking out Cemetery and maybe Eden, but if I can walk to a couple beaches better than Cemetery, I might as well save the taxi fare.