Cruise Tour trains

debnjoe1438

Hello, looking to book a cruise tour 2015. I'm looking at NCL, HAL and Princess. I'm hoping someone can answer a couple of train questions.

How long is the trip (miles and/or time)

NCL - apparently they use the "Vista Dome" and it's my understanding, seating is in the lower level and one can visit the vista dome. How long are the waits for the Vista Dome and appx how long can a person stay in the Vista Dome?

Princess and HAL, I see they have their own "dome cars". Is all the seating in the upper level or is there a chance some may be seated in a lower level?

Thanks, any and all help is appreciated. :D

On the Princess, HAL, and Celebrity/RCI trains, everyone gets a full-time seat in the dome. You go downstairs only if you want a meal (or to a small lounge in some). The route from Seward to Anchorage is far more scenic than from Whittier, which gives Princess a minus point.

Edited by huskyguy

Hello, looking to book a cruise tour 2015. I'm looking at NCL, HAL and Princess. I'm hoping someone can answer a couple of train questions.

NCL - apparently they use the "Vista Dome" and it's my understanding, seating is in the lower level and one can visit the vista dome. How long are the waits for the Vista Dome and appx how long can a person stay in the Vista Dome?

Princess and HAL, I see they have their own "dome cars". Is all the seating in the upper level or is there a chance some may be seated in a lower level?

HAL train cars, the upper level is where everyone had assigned seats, the lower level was the dining area.

3007gua.jpg

Inside (upper level)

a3fi2v.jpg

lower dining area

1z5j2h1.jpg

I have no problem getting dome seating, on the regular Alaska RR, not sure if that's your NCL question?

Princess "direct to Denali" is 10 hours on the train. 12 hours Anchorage/Fairbanks, 8 ours Anchorage/Denali. the MOST scenic portion is Anchorage/Seward- 4 1/4 hours.

Be advised, that Princess has table assigned seating for 4, with 2 people riding backwards.

Shmoo, thanks so much for the pictures (and information), they're great. DH has been wanting to see pictures of the train dome cars.

Husky Guy and Budget Queen, thanks for the information. All is greatly appreciated.

Budget Queen as for NCL, they don't have their own "dome car" and I believe they book into the Adventure Class and when booked there one can visit the Vista Dome. I'm wondering how all that works. :D

Edited by debnjoe1438

We're booked on a NCL cruisetour in August. They outsource the land portion to Premier Alaska Tours, which - according to their website - uses these rail cars: http://premieralaskatours.com/http/wwwwildernessexpressrailcom/

Thanks, I will check out the link later.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

As only a general suggestion. It is simple to plan "cruisetours" independent of the cruise line. A key issue I see over and over, is the uninformed traveler, who doesn't know all the details about what they have booked. I will say, frankly, figure out YOUR sightseeing priorities. Know about EACH and every aspect of what you are looking at. KNOW if you want to spend time in those areas? A problem is most cruisetours, is they don't have any time in either Whittier or Seward- which both are gems. Plenty of superior top notch touring available. Many underestimate time and distances, reason for my, "always" suggestion, go for as long as you can afford (in time and money). Avoid short cruisetours/visits. You are going to find, most of your time is in transit.

There is WAY more to visiting Alaska, than seeing the area from the road or rail. The ball of wax, is to add sightseeing, activities, tours. Many people don't anticipate this.

There can be discounts available through purchased coupon books for those with the interest in their own bookings.

As only a general suggestion. It is simple to plan "cruisetours" independent of the cruise line. A key issue I see over and over, is the uninformed traveler, who doesn't know all the details about what they have booked. I will say, frankly, figure out YOUR sightseeing priorities. Know about EACH and every aspect of what you are looking at. KNOW if you want to spend time in those areas? A problem is most cruisetours, is they don't have any time in either Whittier or Seward- which both are gems. Plenty of superior top notch touring available. Many underestimate time and distances, reason for my, "always" suggestion, go for as long as you can afford (in time and money). Avoid short cruisetours/visits. You are going to find, most of your time is in transit.

There is WAY more to visiting Alaska, than seeing the area from the road or rail. The ball of wax, is to add sightseeing, activities, tours. Many people don't anticipate this.

There can be discounts available through purchased coupon books for those with the interest in their own bookings.

Thank you😄

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app