carribou crossing and skagway

ginger123snaps

We have 3 boys (ages 7, 7, 6). We were thinking about renting a car just to visit caribou crossing...but am wondering if its worth the money to rent a car just for that? I see that carribou crossing seems to be a place they stop in for most tours...but does not seem to be a main attraction.

I want to make our rental worthwhile..so was wondering if there is anything else to see in the area that the boys would enjoy. They will not be into scenery.

I hear everyone talk about emerald lake...but what do you do once you get there?

We are only there from 7 to 6 so our time is limited. I don't like to stray to far from the cruise ship on our own..for fear of missing the boat ;))))

any recommendations/opinions would be appreciated.

at this point wondering if we should rent the car to go there or just stay in skagway and look around right there.

The adults have no interest? This is for the "kids"?

One main reason to drive the Klondike Highway is for the scenery. No way around it. Caribou Crossing is about 75 miles. It is very touristy. But, they offer some good looks at taxidermy and a reasonable sled dog encounter or ride. They should have a website for more information.

Emerald Lake is a turn around point, that is scenic. :) It is not a destination of the trip. The whole trip is nonstop scenery with Murray's Guide "essential".

There is the small Carcross Desert, that I've seen a lot of kids running around.

Frankly, "cost" is in your post, this is one cheap option that gives you many hours of enjoyment- IF of interest? Especially for 3 people it's one of the best bargains around.

So some suggestions that may give you more direction.

We have 3 boys (ages 7, 7, 6). We were thinking about renting a car just to visit caribou crossing...but am wondering if its worth the money to rent a car just for that? I see that carribou crossing seems to be a place they stop in for most tours...but does not seem to be a main attraction.

I want to make our rental worthwhile..so was wondering if there is anything else to see in the area that the boys would enjoy. They will not be into scenery.

I hear everyone talk about emerald lake...but what do you do once you get there?

We are only there from 7 to 6 so our time is limited. I don't like to stray to far from the cruise ship on our own..for fear of missing the boat ;))))

any recommendations/opinions would be appreciated.

at this point wondering if we should rent the car to go there or just stay in skagway and look around right there.

This shows Carcross and what's there, including the desert, taxidermy (excellent) and also Emerald Lake (pretty but just as BQ says) but if they are not into scenery then it doesn't sound like it's going to be worth it for them. But there's nothing much to see at Skagway either. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]aFpz4AHOcUs[/YOUTUBE]

Are you doing Inside Passage or North-South on your cruise? I liked Caribou Crossing but I would not want to drive the highway with 3 young boys. Like the previous poster have mentioned, it is all about scenery. If you are doing the North South route, I am pretty sure some of the Iditarod participants have dog camps/shows near Anchorage. I think Seavys are one of them. If you are going North/South and are heading to Denali, I would recommend the Jeff King tour-it was both informative and puppies were wonderful for me.

I posted an alternative for Skagway when you asked this question last week.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2185974

I also suggested you look at some family trip reports to find successful activities and excursions with kids. Alohagirl88 travelled with a 9yr and 2 yr old and they rented a car in Skagway .... her report includes lots of photos of the drive. Might give you a better idea of how your kids will respond to the drive.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2076940

Maplesleaves: I was looking for more insight

Midwestsolo: we are doing roundtrip seattle

Budgetqueen: the scenery will be there for the adults to enjoy all around and no matter what we do...so yes I am looking for activities for the kids that they will enjoy also. the adults can enjoy the scenery to/from activities the kids will enjoy also.

Edited by ginger123snaps