How Much To Tip Driver - Heathrow To Harwich

Can anybody tell me the accepted tip amount for the driver of a vehicle we've hired to take us from Heathrow to Harwich? The trip cost is prepaid for 152 GBP, but I'd like to make sure I get enough currency at the airport ATM to tip the driver properly.

Thanks!

I would say 10% or £15 would seem about right. If the driver goes over and above the call of duty - helping with bags, stopping at shops etc. a little more would be justified.

On the other hand, if you get a less pleasant individual, feel free to give nothing - it's not as if you will ever see him/her again.

Double check your bill too. Some include a tip or service charge. 5-10% works for cabs and drivers from our experience in Europe. Many riders just round up to the nearest 10. It's a personal choice. Your bags won't be held hostage.;)

Can anybody tell me the accepted tip amount for the driver of a vehicle we've hired to take us from Heathrow to Harwich? The trip cost is prepaid for 152 GBP, but I'd like to make sure I get enough currency at the airport ATM to tip the driver properly.

Thanks!

ATM at airport is VERY HIGH RATES, get money before, like right now order from your local bank. The ATM's at airport are run by the airport and you will get terrible exchange rate. When will you be there, you should be bale to get pounds from your bank in 1-2 days.

you should be bale to get pounds from your bank in 1-2 days.

That long? If I wanted Dollars I could buy them over the counter at my bank, the local Post Office or my local supermarket. Not thousands of course, but a few hundred would be no problem.

ATM at airport is VERY HIGH RATES, get money before, like right now order from your local bank. The ATM's at airport are run by the airport and you will get terrible exchange rate. When will you be there, you should be bale to get pounds from your bank in 1-2 days.

Whilst I agree that the rates may not be that great, if you are only looking at getting out some spending money, the exchange rate is not going to be a significant factor. The amount you will lose out on will only be the equivalent of a cup of coffee.

Whilst I agree that the rates may not be that great, if you are only looking at getting out some spending money, the exchange rate is not going to be a significant factor. The amount you will lose out on will only be the equivalent of a cup of coffee.

That's what I was thinking - we aren't going to get that much out so the exchange rate isn't that big of a deal. We only need enough to tip the driver to and from the port, and any non-credit-cardable things we might want the evening before or the morning of the cruise. I also might ask the driver taking us from London to Harwich to stop at a bank with an ATM instead of using one in Heathrow. I'm sure the exchange rate would be better.

As for the ease of getting dollars in the UK vs getting pounds in the US, I know most of the banks in my area of Central Florida don't carry foreign currency unless it's special ordered a couple of days in advance. Some of the main offices might have some, but none of the local branches do. Among other reasons, there are WAY too many potential currencies that American travelers might want. Main offices near the borders might be more likely to have Canadian or Mexican money onhand, but I think generally they just don't have it laying around.

Also, unfortunately our Post Offices don't perform banking functions like they do in the UK. You can get a money order but that's it. I WISH our Post Offices did things like the UK ones do - maybe they'd make more money and stop having to raise the postage rates.

So the cost of the exchange rate at an ATM either at the airport or on the way to Harwich would probably still be cheaper for me than driving all the way to a large enough bank to get a few pounds.

Anyway, thanks for the all the advice. I am SOOOOO ready for my cruise!

That long? If I wanted Dollars I could buy them over the counter at my bank, the local Post Office or my local supermarket. Not thousands of course, but a few hundred would be no problem.

Our bank might have some foreign currencies on hand. Usually from earlier exchanges. But not always, never a whole lot and if we want a variety of currencies and denominations, it will take our bank 2 working days.

Some AAA offices carry small collections. But they really sock you with fees.

We get some at home, but if more is needed, at destination atm's using a no exchange fee account.