Musings on the Reunion Cruise

TheDee

We had the BEST time on this cruise! Meeting CC people first at the IC was neat. We boarded the PG with newly made "friends". I won't do a day to day review, because people have already done a great job of describing events better than I could. What I will comment on is the ship. If you are looking at the PG expecting glitz and glam, then it is not the ship for you. It has such a Polynesian ambience, not hokey - just right. The colors of used in the fabrics, the artwork in the halls, the statues and artifacts all contribute to the feeling. The presence of the Gauguines as hosts and ambassadors, added so much to the overall feeling of the cruise. ( If anyone knows the name for the lovely gentleman, Mr. Tahiti, please let me know. He was so kind and helpful and...well...manly!) Our first cruise to FP was on the R3, a Renaissance ship. The ship was beautiful, all cherry wood , chintz and velvet fabrics, oriental style carpets, etc. It looked like a transplanted English manor house. I remember making the comment to my husband that it didn't feel like we were in FP. No Polynesian "feel". The PG has captured that spirit and it is wonderful.

All the staff was incredibly helpful. I could list all the names, but I know that I would leave someone out. The dinning room staff, the bartenders, our butler and cabin stewardess - everyone was fantastic. Post cruise, we were at the IC and I realized that I had forgotten my MP3 player in our cabin. ( It had 34 audiobooks on it!) We called the desk, who contacted someone from the PG who was staying at the hotel. He gave us a number to call on the ship. After a call while the ship was in port, and another follow-up while it was at sea, Christelle the Guest Relations manager, emailed us and said that my player had been found. Julie, our fantastic stewardess, had found it between the mattresses when readying the cabin for its next occupants. They are going to Fed Ex it to us. I am one happy camper. Thanks to everyone involved. :-)

We found the quality and variety of the food to be great. Every night, my chilled champagne glass magically appeared at our table and sparkling wine was poured. After the first night, everyone knew our names. The personal attention was amazing.

Having Richard Bailey on board for part of the cruise was interesting. The Town Hall meeting was informative. We were on the PG five years ago and I agree that the ship looks good, but there are areas that would benefit from some updating, especially the bathrooms. While scrupulously clean, some of the fixtures are a bit "tired".

I would like to thank Miriam for all her hard work and organization. It was a pleasure meeting her and her extended family. To all our new CC friends, I hope to see you again on another PG cruise. My FP flu is cured for now, but I think I feel a relapse coming on! Linda and Cobby :-)

Linda and Cobby, thanks for the post, so glad to hear you had such a great time.

I too would like to know Mr. Tahiti's name, and I'm looking for pictures of him, preferably in his "full glory", if you know what I mean. Did anyone get pictures of him climbing the palm tree on the motu?

How about a picture with me on Bora Bora! (Thank you Cobby)

Hey, that's great. And it proves, I think, that this is him, 20 years ago when he was, in fact, Mr. Tahiti (the tattoos match up I think):

http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-photo/rights-managed/OS001135/mr-tahiti-1994