The Gauguin or the PG??

Emdee

In early Radisson days most people would refer to their ships as the Song ,the Diamond, the Gauguin etc My TA for example chartered the ship out for a couple of months even before Regent operated it and she always refers to it as the Gauguin.

Dolebludger who was very active on the Regent board at that time (and who my DH says is totally responsible for getting us hooked on the PG) started to call it the PG in his many posts and very likely he was the first to call the ship by that name. Dolebludger was the authority on all things PG and helped many a young recruit with advice and suggestions to best enjoy the cruise. It was an honour to meet him with his wife on the repeaters cruise. And its great that a name, he likely coined, is now what is most used by PG lovers!

I had to think about this for a minute.

I guess when I am referring to the ship in spoken conversation, I ALWAYS say "the Paul Gauguin". It is just that I am too lazy to type that our each time I make a post (especially on my phone), so the abbreviation PG. I don't think I have ever SAID "PG".

Unfortunately that era of CC postings have gone the way of all things, so we can't check Dolebludger's story about coining the designation "PG". Doesn't matter.

I know I started calling it this a long time ago, and husband caught on and started doing it. But in the early days, it was always the Paul Gauguin, and I always refer to it that way in postings outside of this board, for clarity.

I understand management's wanting to differentiate the ship from the company by referring to the ship as the "Gauguin", but who cares? It'll always be the PG to me.

Unfortunately that era of CC postings have gone the way of all things, so we can't check Dolebludger's story about coining the designation "PG". Doesn't matter.

This made me want to see just how far back I could look. Want to know what was in the oldest thread I found?

September 10th, 2009, 12:00 AM

I am SO tempted to do the 12/28 sailing (ONE LAST PG CRUISE), but as I am not sure of the crew 'tudes at that point (and because we have already sailed this year:D), we probably won't

Or, maybe we will...hmmmmm....

I know that MtnDriver took that cruise and passed the word around that all was still wonderful on the PG. Oh nostalgia!

Edited by MotuIslander

This made me want to see just how far back I could look. Want to know what was in the oldest thread I found?

I know that MtnDriver took that cruise and passed the word around that all was still wonderful on the PG. Oh nostalgia!

I went on the November 2009 and the crew were cautiously optimistic. I think by December they all knew they had a job all they ran out of was toilet paper! You know the story of how Regent let some of the stores deplete?