where to stay in Miami precruise

klhage89

We are very conflicted over where to stay in Miami for our pre cruise night. We will be arriving early the night before our cruise and would like to be able to walk to a restaurant and such. Also, will it be hard to find transportation for our group of 7 to the pier the next day. Will be traveling over Christmas. Any info would be appreciated.

I would focus on downtown hotels - Hampton Inn Mary Brickell offers lots of local dining and shopping options within a short stroll. Other hotels often suggested include the Doubletree, next door Marriott, Hyatt, Intercontinental, and Holiday Inn.

Too many of the airport hotels are isolated and not where you want to spend a day when you want to explore the city.

You could stay in Miami Beach - a little farther than downtown - with great dining, people watching and nightlife.

For 7 plus bags you'll need two cabs to get to downtown hotels from the MIA airport - about $25+tip per cab. The next morning to get to POM you'll need two more cabs for about $12+tip each.

I agree with JohninDC about staying in downtown Miami.

I also like Mary Brickell Village with lots of restaurants.

No problems with taxis.

I would just add to the list the Marriott Marquis which opened less than three years ago.

Keith

Guess we have a different take on the subject. The decent hotels close to Brickell will often price themselves out of the market. For example, on our pre cruise night the Hampton Inn, with taxes is about $300 for advance purchase (no cancellation). And the Marriott is over $450! But one can still get a pretty decent hotel near the airport for under $150 with free airport shuttle and reasonably priced port shuttles (sometimes as low as $10 per person). For those flying-in the afternoon before a cruise it can be hard to justify the much higher cost for staying in Miami. The major issue near the airport is the restaurant situation, but some of the hotels are in areas where there are a few restaurants...or one could take a taxi to a restaurant and still be way ahead of the financial curve.

I have to admit that we are fans of Hampton Inns and use them quite often. But we have never been to any Hampton Inn that is worth over $300 a night :)

Hank

We always stay at Holiday Inn Port of Miami and have never had a problem. It is across the street from the Bayside Market which has plenty of restaurants. You can walk to a store to purchase wine and there are taxis cruising by the front door for your trip to the port which runs about $10.

If you choose this ask for rooms facing the port to watch the show in the morning!