Packing: Just in case or Just enough?

Robin7

I am extremely sensitive to scents. So I bring the Tide for emergencies just in case (heh) I have to wash something out.

The Vaporub is also for the stupid allergies. It helps if there's a scent in the room I can't bear (often something the steward has cleaned with); I put it under my nose like my cop-father did when he had to go to an autopsy. (Ick.) But it does help.

The lint brush is for DH's tuxedo. It seems he always ends up with bits on it.

Robin

I subscribe to Smart Women Travelers newsletter and here is an idea I learned on what to do if I need a link brush. While I am not a woman Carol has some nifty ideas for everyone.

http://smartwomentravelers.com/2013/06/travel-tip-ditch-the-lint-next-time-you-travel-video/

Shak

I just wanted to comment that I LOVE those shoes!

And I am definitely a just in case packer. That's why I need 10 pairs of shoes... Just in case. :D

I love them too!!! I haven't counted my shoes yet. 12 days of travel. Two formal nights. Rain expected in most of our ports. Yeah. I bet I have at least six or seven pairs by the time I'm done gathering. (We leave on Wednesday morning!)

I subscribe to Smart Women Travelers newsletter and here is an idea I learned on what to do if I need a link brush. While I am not a woman Carol has some nifty ideas for everyone.

http://smartwomentravelers.com/2013/06/travel-tip-ditch-the-lint-next-time-you-travel-video/

Shak

That's funny! Thanks for the web site. I will probably subscribe because I'm a junkie for travel tips (even if I don't use them).

Robin

I can relate very well to your just in case packing! I bring along some of those same items plus others. I was thinking about not bringing a few this time but then I get those just in case thoughts in my head and say oh what's a couple of more things! This time I'm vowing to not bring just in case clothes and stick to basics. I should know by now after cruising so much that I don't use 1/2 the stuff I bring.

I'm also a "just-in-case" packer. I can't count the times that I've been glad for that fact. I don't consider taking a 29" bag that gets checked, along with a 21" roll-a-board, and a tote bag to be that big a deal. All 3 items match and stack on each other. I've recently thought about ditching the 29" and seeing if I can make do with just the 2 other bags but...nah, what's the point? I'm happy with my style of traveling. However, if they do start charging more than $25 for one checked bag...then maybe I'll have to rethink the situation. Until then, nah I'm good!:D I know some airlines are charging more than $25 to check a bag...but I don't fly them!:D

Edited by mousey

I'm also a "just-in-case" packer. I can't count the times that I've been glad for that fact. I don't consider taking a 29" bag that gets checked, along with a 21" roll-a-board, and a tote bag to be that big a deal. All 3 items match and stack on each other. I've recently thought about ditching the 29" and seeing if I can make do with just the 2 other bags but...nah, what's the point? I'm happy with my style of traveling. However, if they do start charging more than $25 for one checked bag...then maybe I'll have to rethink the situation. Until then, nah I'm good!:D I know some airlines are charging more than $25 to check a bag...but I don't fly them!:D

I travel like you. 29" 'suiter' rolling suitcase to check, 20" roller for boarding and a huge Vera Bradly bag as my personal item. Vera bag has a panel that fits over the handle of the roller so I can drag both together.

I buy Vera Bradley on line and choose the "retired" patterns which are sold at a significant discount. The 'suiter' luggage allows me to bring things on wire hangers and my dresses and gowns fold neatly in the suiter portion.

We generally fly United and we have their credit card through Chase, so we don't pay for the first checked bag. Many of our cruises are international and the first bag is usually free on an international flight.

I love it! Where did you get those tiny baggies? I want those for my next "just in case" bag on 5/31!

Walmart in the pharmacy section. By the daily pill keepers and such.

My DH spied them last night and decided he wants to use them for his rxs. I wondered about that too. But some are controlled substances so I think it would be better to keep them in their original containers. Unless the pharmacy would print stickers for me to put on the bags. Hmmm. Still mulling.

Robin

Just in Case Traveler here too whether it's for a weekend get away or a week long cruise. It's never failed me. In addition to the things mentioned here, I also take an extra outfit and make sure I have something for cooler temps. Once we were snowed in at a weekend meeting and had to stay overnight before were could go home. So glad for that extra change of clothes and meds, etc...

Take a sewing kit? No, I don't sew at home, so why would I take one on a cruise. I do take a packet of tide and shout..........helpful for those spills on special clothing, but no lint roller. A travel size bottle of downy wrinkle free has saved me a few times, and I have a small divided medicine holder that goes in my purse with Ibuprofen, Benedril, & Bonine (less than 2"x2"). I'm not on any meds so I don't need those. A few bandaids thrown in my 3-1-1 bag and I'm good to go. Anything I need in the worst case will be available- albeit for a bit more $$, but it's worth it not to have to lug it with me. Chances are, if I needed it, I wouldn't have it on hand anyway unless I'm going to take it on all my excursions and anytime I'm off ship. Relax and enjoy your cruise.

Walmart in the pharmacy section. By the daily pill keepers and such.

My DH spied them last night and decided he wants to use them for his rxs. I wondered about that too. But some are controlled substances so I think it would be better to keep them in their original containers. Unless the pharmacy would print stickers for me to put on the bags. Hmmm. Still mulling.

Robin

I found them! Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Lets just say if my cruise goes the way of "Gilligan's Island" I'll survive :rolleyes:

Ok maybe I'm not THAT bad but I do over pack. I always feel I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. And I have saved us money by having something we thought we wouldn't use then it ends up we used it. (Like extra sun block & lip balm )

I remember packing for a trip to my SIL's condo in Cabo...in my carry-on I had small packets of mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes...all in a small plastic container. My BIL thought I was crazy and laughed on the plane (all the while ridiculing me) all the way to Cabo from LA. One of the first things we always do when we get to Cabo is stop along the way to pick up lunch meat, bread, lettuce, tomatoes, sodas, water, etc. So, we get to the Condo, everyone is starving and we start to make sandwiches...oh yeah, you guessed it...the BIL has the nerve to ask me for a packet of mayonnaise.:eek: Are you kidding me...I told lovingly told him to take a hike and so he had to go down to the little market within the condo complex and pay up the ying/yang for a small bottle of mayo. He never made fun of me again! LOL!:D I did relent and shared my other condiments with him...cause I loved him.:D

I feel like I fall somewhere in between. I'm very minimal with my clothes, but towards the end of my packing, when it's really "crunch time", I find myself throwing junk in that I had no plans on taking along with me. Might as well if there's extra room, right? ;)

I feel like I fall somewhere in between. I'm very minimal with my clothes, but towards the end of my packing, when it's really "crunch time", I find myself throwing junk in that I had no plans on taking along with me. Might as well if there's extra room, right? ;)

This is the main reason I keep a carry on packed all the time and just refill bottles/OTC meds. I also pack away from the bedroom, downstairs, so I'm not tempted to throw in items not considered prior to packing.

One of the main reasons I pack my makeup separate from the bathroom stuff is so I can take my makeup in my carry on, split between the 3-1-1 bag (cleanser, moisturizer) and just my makeup bag (powders). I can get by with the purchase of other toiletries, but my makeup is not only costly, it's specific...I have sensitive skin and can't use perfumed product on my face.

I'm more like JUST GET ME OUT OF HERE!!

I pack what I know I need and I've never traveled to a place so remote(other than once) that whatever I forgot couldn't be bought!!