embarkation honolulu April 27

frankie09

Arriving at Honolulu airport on Sunday April 27 for a cruise on the Radiance. Looks like we have about four hours to kill before we can get on board. We have not made any transportation plans yet and are trying to decide what to do before embarkation. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The ship sails out at 10pm. Thanks

With the trouble with the boards yesterday, a lot of posts were deleted (mine included) - so I'll repost what I can remember of it....

A few options:

Rent a car (likely under $40 all taxes/fees in, not including gas) and explore for 4 or 5 hours - make sure it's a vehicle that you can fit your luggage into the trunk to keep it out of view if you leave the car. Pearl Harbor would be a good option for that length of time. You'll need to reserve tickets in advance for the Arizona Memorial. If you choose that option, be sure to book the car in advance for the best rates.

Hire a private driver to take you on a tour - you can find some recommendations on the Honolulu tripadvisor forum.board.

Have lunch at the airport (to refuel and kill some time) and then take a taxi to the cruise terminal and hope that you can check your luggage in early. Then take a taxi to Waikiki to explore there for a couple of hours.

Edited by Susan-M

Hi frankie,

We are on this cruise as well. Come join our roll call. Even though it is stated that boarding starts at 5, they usually start letting people on board around 12. We plan on getting to the ship early. If you do want some Honolulu time, the suggestions given are good!

Ali

Not to be too much of a downer before your wonderful cruise, but I do hope that you will not encounter any flight delays from Las Vegas. If you are flying in on Allegiant Airlines, I would definitely have a back up plan. Hawaiian Airlines is pretty much always on time.

Does your ship start boarding at 5 PM? Collecting your luggage should take about 30-45 minutes. Transportation time will be another 20-30 minutes. Will you be able to drop off your luggage before you start the check in process? Chinatown is just a couple of blocks toward the mountain (Mauka) from Aloha Towers. Great place to walk around and sample the foods. There also Hooters and Gordon Biersch at the Market Place. Lots more restaurants in the downtown/financial district.

Displaced Local Girl

Not to be too much of a downer before your wonderful cruise, but I do hope that you will not encounter any flight delays from Las Vegas. If you are flying in on Allegiant Airlines, I would definitely have a back up plan. Hawaiian Airlines is pretty much always on time.

Displaced Local Girl

Exactly; I will never fly in on the same day because you simply can't control delays, breakdowns...etc. I would sure hate to get there and find the ship gone.

We always have arrived a day before just to give ourselves some spare time, just in case.

I simply fly too often and have seen far too many delays, cancellations and such over the years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Royal Palace is within walking distance (apx 1/2 mile). I'd drop my luggage off at the ship, explore the market at aloha tower and visit the palace. After all, it is the only royal palace in the us...and had electricity before the white house ;)

I think the Palace may be closed as the 27th is on a Sunday. I really wanted to go there:(

Looks like it is closed on Sunday but plenty of other of things to do to kill some time. Probably should start with a couple of cocktails after the flight as I listen to some freezing rain on our windows and look outside at about six feet of snow surrounding our driveway. Its been a long winter but this trip is getting me thru it all.