Handicap rooms

mrobinson

Anyone have experience with handicap rooms with oceanview on Noordam.

We got upgrades via guarantee room and it is a handicap room.

I understand that they are larger and only have shower but wanted idea of how much bigger

We have had Outside and Verandah Handicap staterooms on the Vista and Signature ships, located on the Upper Promenade and Verandah decks, actually quite nice and comfortable. What stateroom number do you have?

Did those rooms have a sofa in them?

TIA.

Because of the space needed for the HC shower, the closets were moved from the entry hall into the cabin, as can be seen in my pictures. Thus they occupy the space that would have held a couch. Only seating is the chair at the desk (and the toilet...). EM

Thanks. I've never sailed Hal before, (first one coming up soon), so not familiar with how the closets normally are. This will also be our first HC cabin on any line. I'm hoping to be able to take some longer, extended cruises in the next few years. On those longer ones, I would really like to have a sofa / love seat to curl up on.

Our TA booked us into a handicapped veranda room on the Noordam several years ago, thinking they were doing us a favor getting us a bigger room for the price. Can say that the rooms aren't that much bigger really. And the room had weird entry at an angle. I suppose to accommodate a wheelchair entry/exit more easily. There were some other things about the room that were off-kilter as well. The DW has some balance issues sometimes and the room just made her nauseated with everything at strange angles. She spent only enough time in the room to bath/dress/change or sleep. Sometimes having to go out on the balcony for a few minutes and sit just so she could come finish dressing. I, on the other hand, had no issues with the room at all. Actually enjoyed the larger shower.

Our TA booked us into a handicapped veranda room on the Noordam several years ago, thinking they were doing us a favor getting us a bigger room for the price.

Certainly hope this booking was after final payment date if the accessible features were not needed. Though sounds like grab bars in bathroom could have been handy with balance issue. But if TA was booking just for space to price ratio sounds sort of unethical on their part if it denied being able to cruise at all for someone in a wheelchair or mobility device.

Just off of similar configured Oosterdam and we had a small sofa (Sig Suite) but never used it except for place to keep backpack and clothes to be re-worn. We kept coffee table pushed up against it to allow room for wheelchair to pass by.

In bathroom picture note location (hard to see) of soap/shampoo/conditioner dispensers on wall. If sitting on flip down bench there are in a really awkward spot to use and easy to knock the containers off the wall. In some bathrooms, like ours, the toilet is inside the shower so gets wet and TP has to be removed before showering. Also, whole bathroom floor gets flooded.

In the Oceanview room shown in pictures it does look like there is at least an extra foot of separation between the foot of the bed and the wall. Rooms we looked at from hallway on disembarkation day looked much tighter.

Certainly hope this booking was after final payment date if the accessible features were not needed. Though sounds like grab bars in bathroom could have been handy with balance issue. But if TA was booking just for space to price ratio sounds sort of unethical on their part if it denied being able to cruise at all for someone in a wheelchair or mobility device.

Just off of similar configured Oosterdam and we had a small sofa (Sig Suite) but never used it except for place to keep backpack and clothes to be re-worn. We kept coffee table pushed up against it to allow room for wheelchair to pass by.

In bathroom picture note location (hard to see) of soap/shampoo/conditioner dispensers on wall. If sitting on flip down bench there are in a really awkward spot to use and easy to knock the containers off the wall. In some bathrooms, like ours, the toilet is inside the shower so gets wet and TP has to be removed before showering. Also, whole bathroom floor gets flooded.

In the Oceanview room shown in pictures it does look like there is at least an extra foot of separation between the foot of the bed and the wall. Rooms we looked at from hallway on disembarkation day looked much tighter.

Hi Todd....hear you about having to take the TP out before showering. Sounds like you had a clogged drain, because our identical cabin across the ship never flooded the floor.

I really loved 6001 on the Oosterdam ! It was a little tight using the patient lift by the bed, but I rearranged the bed tables and it worked much better.

Hi Todd....hear you about having to take the TP out before showering. Sounds like you had a clogged drain, because our identical cabin across the ship never flooded the floor.

I really loved 6001 on the Oosterdam ! It was a little tight using the patient lift by the bed, but I rearranged the bed tables and it worked much better.

oops....that was 5001 we were in...:o

We had no idea until we boarded the boat that the room was accessible. We immediately went to the front desk to see if there was anyone needing the accessibility and if so we'd gladly have changed rooms. They told us there were no other requests for accessibility and no other rooms available. We've felt kind of bad that someone may not have been able to get the room and have discontinued use of that Travel Agent.

We had no idea until we boarded the boat that the room was accessible. We immediately went to the front desk to see if there was anyone needing the accessibility and if so we'd gladly have changed rooms. They told us there were no other requests for accessibility and no other rooms available. We've felt kind of bad that someone may not have been able to get the room and have discontinued use of that Travel Agent.

Actually, HAL has tightened things up in recent years. If you book an accessible cabin, you are required to e-mail in a need form. I think a TA would have problems getting away with that now.

If you get assigned an accessible, it will be probably 30 days out when HAL doesn't want to sail with any empty cabins.

• 1 month later...

My father and I were in a signature suite 8068 (I think that is the right cabin number) a handicapped accessible stateroom on the Oosterdam. My dad uses a walker and needs a roll in shower and just a bit more space to get around. We had both a roll in shower and a bathtub, a sofa and way too much furniture in the stateroom for him to maneuver around easily, although the room was quite spacious. Closet space was ok, but there was literally no counter space in the bathroom and the toilet was actually IN the room in shower area. Personally, I would not book a handicapped stateroom if I really didn't need one. If not needed, the cons outweigh the pros, in my opinion.