Advice on booking Mediterranean Odyssey Ocean Cruise

MrScottee

Greetings fellow cruisers, first time poster.

Want to book Med Odyssey in spring 2018. Only date on Viking web is Mar 8th, 2018. In contrast there are 6 departures for same cruise in 2017 (Mar (2), Apr (3), Oct(1) that are completely sold out.

Should I book Mar 2018 now, or, assume Viking will add more dates and book then? I'd like to cruise in late Apr. Have not contacted Viking yet, although, my travel agent says Viking doesn't know when or if more dates will be added. Please advise.

Tks - MrScottee

If you really want this itinerary and only this itinerary, then I would not hang around waiting to see if perhaps they will be adding more dates for this itinerary. Viking will have only one ship in the Mediterranean next winter and Viking, with its brand new ships and very favorable reviews sells out. Otherwise, I would look to see what Viking is offering for late April when you want to travel.

I would book it. We were only able to get March for 2017, and then they opened up October about 5 months later. We called and they had no trouble moving us to he call date we really wanted. Can't wait to do this itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
I would book it. We were only able to get March for 2017' date=' and then they opened up October about 5 months later. We called and they had no trouble moving us to he call date we really wanted. Can't wait to do this itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/quote']

Just wondering when you say they opened up an October date 5 months later, when exactly was that 5 months from? We wanted to do this same itinerary in October 2018 and the only one for 2018 at this point is in March.

I booked the March 2017 sailing on 6/1/16. I saw on 10/15/16 that an October 2017 sailing was added, so I called and had our reservation changed over. When I first booked the rep suggested that I look online to see new sailing dates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I booked the March 2017 sailing on 6/1/16. I saw on 10/15/16 that an October 2017 sailing was added' date=' so I called and had our reservation changed over. When I first booked the rep suggested that I look online to see new sailing dates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/quote']

Thanks so much Bill'sBride! I'll keep checking online so that we don't miss out if October opens up. We really want to do this itinerary, it's been on our bucket list of cruises to do for a long time and we are celebrating several milestones in 2018, so it would be so wonderful to be able to do it. Unfortunately the March 2018 sailing is all sold out, so booking March 2018 and then hopefully changing it to October 2018 if it opens up isn't an option. :(

Dear nini,

We hear you – and agree! Our Mediterranean Odyssey itinerary is all-around wonderful.

Although we cannot make any guarantees, we encourage you to keep an eye on our website, or check back with us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com, for any updates or additions as the season progresses.

nini, thank you for your interest in cruising with us. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you aboard soon.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Viking Ocean- are you paying attention? This is a very desirable itinerary! ;p

Thank you Viking Ocean for your response. I know you are "growing" the line; most of us cruisers are used to being able to book far in advance from several offered dates to fit into our best time to cruise. This itinerary is unique and hopefully I will be able to find it in the future. :D

We just came back from the March 5, 2017 Med. Odyssey. The temp. was great 60- 70 every day. Everything about the trip was wonderful.

Wow, temps in the 60's & 70's! Isn't that unusually warm for March? Just curious because we want to do this in same trip in October 2018 if Viking adds it, and I thought that 60's & 70's were more typical for that time of year.

So glad to hear that your trip was wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

We just completed Mediterranean Odyssey on Viking Star, March 11-23, Barcelona to Venice. The weather was perfect 65-72 everyday but the last in Venice. In Venice it was overcast and misty.

All the tour guides told our groups that we were lucky to come when we did.........that by the end of March the crowds would double. We loved having the elbow room in all of our ports, although they were quite busy!

• 2 weeks later...

I received a brochure for 2019 and the Mediterranean Odyssey is not even listed, let alone offered in 2019. Savy cruisers have realized what a great itinerary this is.

One can hope that it will eventually be added.

Bummer! So much for trying to plan ahead. :loudcry:

Viking Ocean- any comments?

Dear nini,

Great to hear from you again!

As our 2019 ocean schedule isn’t yet finalized, the brochure you received likely only highlights our new itineraries; it is not a comprehensive list. We expect to iron out the rest of our 2019 offerings within the next several months, so please stay tuned.

nini, we know you’re excited about this itinerary (we are too!) and appreciate your continued patience.

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

I received a brochure for 2019 and the Mediterranean Odyssey is not even listed, let alone offered in 2019. Savy cruisers have realized what a great itinerary this is.

One can hope that it will eventually be added.

Bummer! So much for trying to plan ahead. :loudcry:

Viking Ocean- any comments?