Alaska with almost 14 year old grandson in June

anna48

Planning to take almost 14 year old grandson on Alaska cruise during second half of June 2017. looking for suggestions for best itinerary and ship for that age.

14 years is a great age for Alaska!

I would first focus on a few things. Are you looking at just a cruise and Round Trip from Seattle or Vancouver. Or are you interested in one ways Vancouver to Whittier or Seward? Are you interested in doing a land trip with this cruise?

You are going to be limited to what is available as the summer is booking up.

Most of Alaska is about being off the ship. There are some amazing excursions for 14 year olds, though some that are attractive to that age group can be expensive (dog mushing on a glacier, etc..). Have you looked at excursions or have you had him look at excursions. This may determine what ports you are interested in and may determine itinerary.

We are booked on Star Princess from Whittier to Vancouver with our 14-year-old granddaughter in early June 2017. We have included the land tour with two nights in Denali so we can spend the full day there. She's really into wildlife. She is also looking forward to the train ride from Denali to Whittier. Fingers crossed for good weather that day!

In Juneau we have a whale watching tour scheduled and in Ketchikan we are kayaking. For a little time away from "group" activities we are renting a car in Skagway so we can explore on our own. Just find out what your grandson is most interested in and then book accordingly. We have a minisuite on Princess with a fold out couch for our granddaughter. Hope this helps.

Now that my responses are showing up...

Previously we took our 4.5 year old on a 7-night cruise on HAL & loved it.

Next I will be taking my 8.5 year old on a 14-night AK cruise again on HAL.

Our choice was made because we are going to see Alaska not the ship. (When we want to have fun on a ship we choose differently.)