Breakaway Rocks In More Ways Than One

PyrHeaven

Just off the Breakaway and wanted to mention that our cruise was outstanding! I was a little aprehensive after reading all the negative comments on here the past few months, and I'm happy to report that NCL really proved all the Negative Nancys wrong.

A few things I'd like to note (I'll be writing a full review in the near future but just wanted to mention a few topics):

We are a family of 3 (Me, My Husband, and 4 year old son) from Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Bringing food back to your cabin from the buffet was no issue at all. I personally did this twice and no one said a word. I carried back 3 full plates of food and beverages at one time and the room stewards even joked that they thought I was bringing the food back for them! We were in an inside cabin - FYI.

We ate at Ocean Blue one night (which was fantastic). The table behind us was too full for dessert, so they offered to box it and deliver it to their room at a later date.

Uptown Grill on deck 16 AFT has awesome burgers and salads! You must go there! Best of all - you can get your food to go and they box it up for you.

The shows we had reservations for were honored and you could continue to make reservations on board with the box office, your stateroom tv, and the iconceriege app.

Splash Academy was outstanding! Our son is 4 years old and has never been in a setting such as splash academy (he does not go to daycare and isn't in school yet) and he wanted to be there ALL the time. All the counselors were amazing and knew my son by his first name. He felt like a king getting high fives and hugs from all the youth staff and other staff around the ship including recreation crew members and wait staff.

I know it was mentioned there was a capacity restriction on the Gem, however, this was never an issue on the Breakaway. At least not last week, and there were many kids enjoying Splash Academy.

Last but not least, the Dawn was docked at Heritage Wharf when we arrived in Bermuda due to running aground the night prior (thankfully that turned out ok for everyone!) and we had to tender. I have to say, the whole crew really handled this well. It only caused an hour or two delay and the whole tendering process was very organized despite the fact that it was not planned. When we were headed back from the beach around 4pm on our first day there, the Breakaway was docked and we were able to walk right on. Awesome job NCL!!

Can't wait for your full review. Going with wife and kids in November. I think people at this point are trying to find issues with NCL just because of all the recent 'negatives' put on here. It's like anything. Go in to it with the right attitude and you will have a great time.

Thanks for your post PyrHeaven. We were all watching your adventure on Wednesday on the Bermuda webcam. So glad to hear good things :) :) and that all turned out well for you (on Breakaway) and everyone on Dawn.

Breakaway is a great ship with a great crew. We had our best cruise so far last summer on her to Bermuda and have a second booked for the fall.

Thanks again for taking the time to report back.

~Robin

Edited by meatball_nyc

Thanks for posting the short review. Looking forward to the full version. You have already put my mind to rest with a few issues raised on the boards recently. We are eagerly anticipating our third trip to beautiful Bermuda in the fall.

Thanks for sharing your dock with us (dawn cruisers). We really enjoyed the extra time. I'm glad ncl breakaway handled these issues with tendering. We were really impressed with how they handled the dawn grounding. I had teenagers on that cruise that were not with us at the time and still felt that we were in safe hands! Thanks NCL!

Thank you for this awesome positive review, we are trying NCL for the first time and have read plenty of negative (after 7 cruises we know to

take the negative with a grain of salt lol ) reviews but its nice to read something

positive for a change, we're looking forward to our April NCL cruise :D

Thank you for your review!

I have some questions about Splash Academy, in view of what's happening right now on the gem. Did you always bring your son to Splash Academy when it opened, or past the opening time?

In case my boys don't get into Splash Academy at certain times, do you think there are ample activities that families could do together and have fun, besides water activities and the pool?

And one last question...did you have the ability to sign up for Splash Academy in the cruise ship terminal before boarding, or could you only register children at Splash Academy once onboard?

Thank you so much again for reviewing! We can't wait for the cruise!

Edited by bangzoom6877

Thanks for sharing your dock with us (dawn cruisers). We really enjoyed the extra time. I'm glad ncl breakaway handled these issues with tendering. We were really impressed with how they handled the dawn grounding. I had teenagers on that cruise that were not with us at the time and still felt that we were in safe hands! Thanks NCL!

So glad everyone was safe and it didn't cause an issue for the remainder of your cruise other than an extra day in Bermuda - who could complain about that part!? :)

Thank you for your review!

I have some questions about Splash Academy, in view of what's happening right now on the gem. Did you always bring your son to Splash Academy when it opened, or past the opening time? We did both.Usually there was a line when dropping off right when they opened, but it went quickly. There were a few times when we dropped off 30 min to an hour after they had been open and there was no issue with allowing him in the academy

In case my boys don't get into Splash Academy at certain times, do you think there are ample activities that families could do together and have fun, besides water activities and the pool?Absolutely! There were lots of different activities for families. Mini golf, mini bowling, ropes course (they have a small one for kids under 48inches), Nickelodeon Arts and Crafts, Breakaway Bounce, Family Pizza Making, Family Cupcake Decorating, they had a Family Dance Party in Spice H2O one night

And one last question...did you have the ability to sign up for Splash Academy in the cruise ship terminal before boarding, or could you only register children at Splash Academy once onboard? Yes! After we checked in, we went straight to the Splash Academy table to register my son. Once onboard, you just need to stop by to pick up their wristbands....we did this after the muster drill and there was no waiting, otherwise you can always do it the first time you check them in

Thank you so much again for reviewing! We can't wait for the cruise!

See answers above :)

Edited by PyrHeaven
html

Excellent to hear that shes still all that shes cracked up to be, as I am traveling this same ship next April (yes it seems so far away still, but still counting!!) and it started to seem sad. I would love to pick your brain as I have soooo many questions. Maybe not just for you, but you just got back :)

This upcoming trip will be my 5th cruise and so far I have loved every one, but I am the type who frets the small stuff, ALL of the small stuff, as I like to leave nothing at all to chance; which bothers my wife to no end at times but by the time we walk out the door I think she secretly enjoys knowing that we are in a good place.

One thing I would love to get a definitive answer on is the soda package if you would know. I read on the NCL webpage that you need to sign up for everyone in the room, and then another page from another poster that you can get it just for one person. I am admittedly a lover of a good soda pop and I drink it for all three meals and darn near everywhere in between. My two children wont touch the stuff and if my wife has one glass of pop per day, that's a lot. I cant see myself paying all that money for 4 of us for just my soda, nor can I anticipate a cruise without my vice :( so I am in quite the dilemma here.

I would love to get this one (of 3,756) question settled, so anything you can offer would be great! thanks!!!

See answers above :)

Thank you very much! I'm hoping someone comes back from this week's sailing and reviews here so I could find out if there is the same issue as on the Gem this week. I have a feeling it has to do with what happened last week on the Gem. It was a horrific tragedy, every parent's worst nightmare, that a child drowned in the pool, and I'm sure there must be investigations going on and perhaps NCL was warned about the counselor to child ratio on its ships, or maybe just on the Gem.

Sounds like there's plenty to do together that the boys will enjoy, but I'm also hoping they get to do the Splash Academy at least sometimes. They always enjoy meeting new friends on cruises!

One thing I would love to get a definitive answer on is the soda package if you would know. I read on the NCL webpage that you need to sign up for everyone in the room, and then another page from another poster that you can get it just for one person. I am admittedly a lover of a good soda pop and I drink it for all three meals and darn near everywhere in between. My two children wont touch the stuff and if my wife has one glass of pop per day, that's a lot. I cant see myself paying all that money for 4 of us for just my soda, nor can I anticipate a cruise without my vice :( so I am in quite the dilemma here.

I would love to get this one (of 3,756) question settled, so anything you can offer would be great! thanks!!!

This is one subject I unfortunately do not have a definitive answer on! We actually carried on our own soda because, I too, am the only avid soda drinker in the family and much prefer Coke products (although I'm not so much of a soda snob that I won't drink Diet Pepsi if that is the only option!). I had our room steward clear out the mini bar and kept it stocked with Diet Coke for the whole cruise. I regularly have a diet coke for breakfast, lunch and dinner! :) In 2012 on the Pearl, I did purchase the soda package on board and my Husband did not have to. Of course rules change quickly, so that may not be relevant any longer.

Hopefully someone else can weigh in on this for you!

Excellent. thanks for the info. I, too, would prefer Coke, or as I refer to it as "Nectar Of the Gods" so its great to see another fan! But just as you, if Pepsi is there I wont turn it away as its a sold choice C. Diet Mt Dew is B, so maybe some hope there yet.

I contemplated (still do) bringing like three cases of Coke on board if the only other option is paying $200 for soda (if its all 4 of us) but the issue I have with that is the fact that I am never in my room on a cruise, so thats a PIA more than I would like.

Thanks! This still leaves 3,756 questions on the table!

Edited by PhillyCruiserinCT

Excellent. thanks for the info. I, too, would prefer Coke, or as I refer to it as "Nectar Of the Gods" so its great to see another fan! But just as you, if Pepsi is there I wont turn it away as its a sold choice C. Diet Mt Dew is B, so maybe some hope there yet.

I contemplated (still do) bringing like three cases of Coke on board if the only other option is paying $200 for soda (if its all 4 of us) but the issue I have with that is the fact that I am never in my room on a cruise, so thats a PIA more than I would like.

I know what you mean about having to go back to the room to grab a can.....if I wasn't near the room or didn't already have one on me (I kept one or two in my purse...harder for a guy I know!) I just bought one. I'd say I probably bought about 5 on the whole cruise. Just another idea/thought for you if you decide against the soda package.

If you have any other questions for me, I'll try my best to answer them!

Hello PhillyCruiserinCT. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, :(, but I believe that you WOULD need to buy that soda (pop?) package for everyone in your cabin. According to the NCL website:

"Applicable beverage packages must be purchased for all guests staying within the same stateroom for the entire length of the cruise."

Sorry again. Guess you better buy a case at the port. Have a great cruise anyway! :)

Yeah, its definitely looking more and more like that, Thanks Bob. My concern stems from what I see on this board, and the rest of the internet as well, is that when you buy online you have to purchase the whole room, but even as PryHeaven herself was able to get just her card tagged on the Pearl. That was back in 2012, but there's still so much ambiguity.

Thanks again though.....Maybe I'll find Coca Cola flavored Mio!!

Excellent to hear that shes still all that shes cracked up to be, as I am traveling this same ship next April (yes it seems so far away still, but still counting!!) and it started to seem sad. I would love to pick your brain as I have soooo many questions. Maybe not just for you, but you just got back :)

This upcoming trip will be my 5th cruise and so far I have loved every one, but I am the type who frets the small stuff, ALL of the small stuff, as I like to leave nothing at all to chance; which bothers my wife to no end at times but by the time we walk out the door I think she secretly enjoys knowing that we are in a good place.

The advice I had received on CC worked! It was as simple as calling my PCC before the cruise and saying "Hi, I want to buy the soda package for person X and person Y." He didn't even ask me if I (person Z, in the same cabin as X and Y) wanted it or not. My two adult kids are like fish when it comes to soda, but I'm not. I paid for them. And not for me. Easy!

Thanks everyone. I think that the message is that the website forces you to purchase the whole family, but in person on the ship or even on the phone ahead of time you can piece it out. I will definitely try the phone route ASAP , as once I am on board I will cry myself to sleep every night without my pop :mad:

Now onto the next question regarding Wheelchair accessible rooms....but I fear I have already hijacked this thread and am now peeking over my shoulder while sitting at work constantly waiting for a Mod to toss me :eek:

Thanks for the review PyrHeaven. I am glad that you had a great time! It makes me even more excited for my upcoming Breakaway cruise. I remember seeing some whispers in a couple of Dawn reviews about the bartender Chips Ahoy possibly going from the Dawn to the Breakaway. Did you happen to come across him on the ship? I would be so psyched if he is on the Breakaway now; he's one of my absolute favorite NCL crew members!!

Hello PhillyCruiserinCT. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, :(, but I believe that you WOULD need to buy that soda (pop?) package for everyone in your cabin. According to the NCL website:

"Applicable beverage packages must be purchased for all guests staying within the same stateroom for the entire length of the cruise."

Sorry again. Guess you better buy a case at the port. Have a great cruise anyway! :)

not true! If you book the soda package in advance, you do have to buy them for everyone in the room, however, if you wait until you're on the cruise, you do not. I bought the soda package at the bar and my gf who was in the room with me did not have to and wasn't charged. it's a secret!