Attire in SA

socreader

We will be in BA, and other ports in SA on The Infinity this coming March. Are Bermuda shorts acceptable in Argentina, Uraguay and Chile? We will be in BA other cities and I will need to know how to dress without looking like we are not showing respect for the culture of the host country.

I can only answer as to Buenos Aires, where shorts were perfectly acceptable when we were there last January. Like you, I was concerned about this, particularly since our tour operator (Lindblad) had sent us literature saying that BA was pretty formal, no shorts, etc. So I emailed the local private guide we had hired for the two days we were there on our own, and asked about shorts. She told me they were absolutely fine and were very "in." It was in the 80s, so we were very happy to have shorts for our touring during the day.

Have a wonderful trip, I really hope to do it some day!

PS: We were on the Infinity TA this fall, so if you have any ship-related questions, don't hesitate to ask.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be in BA, and other ports in SA on The Infinity this coming March. Are Bermuda shorts acceptable in Argentina, Uraguay and Chile? We will be in BA other cities and I will need to know how to dress without looking like we are not showing respect for the culture of the host country.

We just came back from our cruise around the horn with 4 days pre-cruise in BA. We wore shorts all the time, except for when we went to the nice Tango Show. Make sure you go to a Tango show.

We even were allowed to go in the Metropolitan Cathedral in BA wearing shorts.

You don't want to wear heavy clothes when the temps go over 100 degrees.

• 1 month later...