Tippin on RCCL

So I know about the whole tipping with the envelopes for waiters, room attendants, etc. However, what about tipping other people such as do I tip the person who loads my luggage at the port, or people on our snokeling boat, or the guide for our kayak trip, when and who do we need to tip? To me tipping is so over board these days and everyone expects a tip but most of the time doesn't deserve it. I know about tipping extras such as for room service and such but what if someone helps with me stuff on the beach at Cococay, do I tip them? I just need help in getting the whole tipping thing clarified!

Thanks!

Sorry about the missing "g" on tipping on the title, I was in a hurry!

So I know about the whole tipping with the envelopes for waiters, room attendants, etc. However, what about tipping other people such as do I tip the person who loads my luggage at the port, or people on our snokeling boat, or the guide for our kayak trip, when and who do we need to tip? To me tipping is so over board these days and everyone expects a tip but most of the time doesn't deserve it. I know about tipping extras such as for room service and such but what if someone helps with me stuff on the beach at Cococay, do I tip them? I just need help in getting the whole tipping thing clarified!

Thanks!

Here we go again ... lol

You should tip the porters about $1-2 per bag (that's standard) and tip taxi drivers about 10%.

There are no real "standard guidelines" for tipping anyone else...if someone does something that seems "above and beyond", then a tip is in order.

At Coco Cay, I'm not sure what you would need "help" with...it's sort of a "do it yourself" sort of place. (It's not like Labadee, where there are "chair helpers" who do expect a tip!)

Basically, for everyone EXCEPT attendant, waiter, ass't waiter, head waiter, it's up to you----the others aren't expecting tips for doing the job they're paid to do.

And if they "are" expecting a tip they will let you know...most always the tour guides will make a comment before the end of your tour that tips are welcomed... if you enjoyed the tour you can give them a few dollars...or not...your choice...

You should tip the porters about $1-2 per bag (that's standard)

No, you should NOT tip the porters (at least in U.S. ports). The porters are longshoreman who are highly paid with great benefits; they often are earning time-and-a-half when working as a luggage porter and many earn six figures plus. They are not working for tips like waiters and room stewards. Unfortunately so many people have been tipping them that some now expect to be tipped and some even have been reported to make passive-aggressive comments towards people who do not tip them. There are signs at some U.S. ports saying they do not need to be tipped. Sure, they are providing a service, but they are receiving a generous salary to do so and their salary is not reduced with the expectation it will be subsidized by tipping. Tipping the porters would be like tipping your dentist - yes they are providing you a service, but they receive a full salary to do so.

No, you should NOT tip the porters (at least in U.S. ports). The porters are longshoreman who are highly paid with great benefits; they often are earning time-and-a-half when working as a luggage porter and many earn six figures plus. They are not working for tips like waiters and room stewards. Unfortunately so many people have been tipping them that some now expect to be tipped and some even have been reported to make passive-aggressive comments towards people who do not tip them. There are signs at some U.S. ports saying they do not need to be tipped. Sure, they are providing a service, but they are receiving a generous salary to do so and their salary is not reduced with the expectation it will be subsidized by tipping. Tipping the porters would be like tipping your dentist - yes they are providing you a service, but they receive a full salary to do so.

Gonzo - I did not realize this. I've had many, many porters refer "we do accept tips" after taking my luggage and telling me where to proceed to the ship's entrance. I've always tipped the porters. Very interesting info indeed!

Gonzo - I did not realize this. I've had many, many porters refer "we do accept tips" after taking my luggage and telling me where to proceed to the ship's entrance. I've always tipped the porters. Very interesting info indeed!

Yes, not a lot of people seem to know that the porters are well compensated for what they do by means of their salary. There have been some prior threads on this topic - one in which someone posted who had a relative who is a longshoreman who also indicated they are well salaried. I had done a google search on the topic when I first saw this issue being debated and there also was information online indicating that they are well salaried. Unfortunately it seems like so many people (including myself during my first couple of cruises) who thought they were working for tips. This combined with some of the porters aggressively soliciting tips has created a situation where most people do now tip them, even though they receive a full salary that is not based on it being subsidized by tips. It works out quite well for them to be getting paid time and a half, and raking in a lot of tips!

It is probably harsh to say NOT to tip. I'd leave it up to the tipper.

That said, I agree the Longshoremen are well paid. I know of one who makes what would probably put him in the upper few percent of income earners in the USA. One reason they are so well paid is Unions that do the dealings with the ship owners to get stuff loaded on and offloaded from ships.

The fees are very high and 20 years ago the "gang" had to be hired as a full crew for a block of time for a defined set of work. I know for our small cargo ship the union actually told us as crew to handle one aspect of prep to ship out each week since the cost would have been in the thousands of dollars per the contract for what would take the gang like 2 minutes to do as a full gang...the work ended up done bu the crew on a separate special arrangement.

Working luggage is probably one of the more cush aspects of Longshoreman work, especially in the Southern Ports in Summer Heat and Humidity. I'd have no desire to work in the hold of a ship (no Air Conditioning in the hold usually other than Cruise Ships) to offload cargo in the Afternoon in Houston, Galveston, Tampa, etc... Working luggage would be nice...and since folks headed on cruises are typically happy, it pays off well for the porters.

Some ports do have allowances where other than the normal gangs may be able to work luggage at the cruise ports in which case all of the above may not apply as it may be more tuned towards tips.

Thanks!

On the Freedom class ships the Diamond Club Concierge should be tipped. We found that our concierge had special forms on his desk that included him in the pre-pay graituties form. They are not salaried by RCI. We did not drink at night but only drank Cappichinos in the morning but felt he was worth a tip.

Hope this helps! We always tip extra to the staff that does above and beyond for us aboard the ship.

Irene & Miles

Everyone accepts tips! ;) It's whether they should receive them is the question.

Archived