Any free WiFi hotspots in/near Progreso?

Pwnyboy

I'm wondering if anyone knows of anybody knows of any free WiFi hotspot locations in or near Progreso, Mexico, and then also in or near Cozumel, Mexico (where I'm going on my cruise)? It doesn't matter if there are computers/laptops at the locations, I could just use my iPhone. Any places, even just where a Starbucks is there, would be helpful. Thanks :)

• 9 months later...

All wireless networks are free if you know to break the encryption but you probably don't know how to do that.

You can try scanning for wireless hot spots that are open if you have a smartphone it is easier than walking around with an open laptop.

Or just pay a couple of bucks at a coffee shop or internet cafe.

The question was about locations. You know, in case someone happens to know that a specific hotel has free wifi or perhaps a restaurant has it.. The fact that Wifi encryption is crackable does not mean that Wifi is free. There’s tons of free beer in Cozumel, if you know how to steal correctly.

OP: Not sure of any reliable spots in Progreso, but if you make it to Merida there are two cafes on the main square that have free WiFi. It is strong enough that you can sit in the park and pick both up. In Cozumel, Paradise Beach has free WiFi and also several computers at both of the bars to use, also for free. Starbucks close to the town center on the main waterfront road also has free WiFi, but is seems to be very low power and comes and goes. I was told that the Hard Rock in Cozumel has free WiFi but have not confirmed it for myself. It is getting easier and easier to find free WiFi anywhere in the world. When traveling I put my Iphone in airplane mode and turn WiFi search on. It gives a beep when it finds Wifi. Using free WiFi there are no data charges.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Here is a site listing free wifi spots. Just go to Mexico (past the state area) and check. Good luck.

FREE WIFI AREAS

Good website but I didn't find Progresso or Cozumel on the list.

I found this for Cozumel:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150809-c132370/Cozumel:Mexico:Places.With.Free.Wifi.html

Found this about Progresso--free wifi in four public parks

http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2012/01/free-internet-in-progreso-parks/

• 5 weeks later...

Archived