Isla Margarita

crisp1

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the dawn princess one of our stops was here.

We booked the Dunes package through princess at the last minute wih another couple. Bus to an all inclusive resort, beach, pools and lunch. Would I do it again (NO). Very nice resort, you can look it up on a web search. Member of RCI and grounds are first class. BUT it was an hour both ways on a bus. Not enough time there to really enjoy. Others just went to the beach right beside the ship and rented jet ski's etc. Shop right at the dock for small souveniers etc. Really not much to see on the island other than cactus, poor living conditions etc. Others booked a cab for a ride. Really depends on what you want to do... Ask away as still reading boards to help others who helped me.

• 5 months later...
st off the dawn princess one of our stops was here.

We booked the Dunes package through princess at the last minute wih another couple. Bus to an all inclusive resort, beach, pools and lunch. Would I do it again (NO). Very nice resort, you can look it up on a web search. Member of RCI and grounds are first class. BUT it was an hour both ways on a bus. Not enough time there to really enjoy. Others just went to the beach right beside the ship and rented jet ski's etc. Shop right at the dock for small souveniers etc. Really not much to see on the island other than cactus, poor living conditions etc. Others booked a cab for a ride. Really depends on what you want to do... Ask away as still reading boards to help others who helped me.

Thanks for the insight. I was trying to decide between the Dunes and the Coche island getaway. Did you know of any folks who did the Coche island tour through Princess?

• 2 weeks later...

we are also interested in shorex on Isla Margarita - should we just plan a beach day and shop near the pier for straw items and visit the bar and beach and hang there?...this will be our 8th port day in a row without a sea day and we leave around 1:30 p.m. - not much time for exploring....any advice?

Thank Kristina - really appreciate the information. So many ports and so many days in a row without a break, it might be nice to just wing it there and rest and shop and have a few drinks and lounge for a change. Its good to know that they have some decent shopping right there!Not that I am in the market for anything - but you never know what they might have and different places "specialize" in different things - love to see the handicrafts! Thank you!:)

Sea Princess eh.

We almost booked that same date but went for the January 14th departure.

So I know what you mean about so many ports. Yes stay at the port, some neat shopping right there and that is exactly what we will be doing. Vendors are nice and small bar at the beach. So sleep in, have breakfast, enjoy the shopping and then enjoy the ship. Could be classified as a sea day (LOL).

Enjoy the cruise and will look for your posts "Live for the Sea"... ;)

John

Thanks to John and Judy - now I am off to check out that resort!

I think taking a day out of all the running around will really be a nice break!:) But the write up on those seahorses is kiliing me - the whole adventure of the mangroves and how cool it all is, really intriguing

• 2 months later...

I've been to the Dunes Resort and it is absolutely gorgeous. I'm sure you will enjoy a day there. I have never been to the Mangroves at La Restinga, but tourists who did tell me that it's real pretty. I did walk up to the entrance and there are some shops there, and I got to see some "critters" in the water. That was cool. There's a boat that takes you around for a tour. It's a relaxing type trip from the looks of it. Either of those are good choices.

Are there restrooms on/near the beach area or in the market area, or will we have to hike back to the ship for this?
Us vendors got a tour of the port yesterday. There are bathrooms near the ship, but they just added 8 bathrooms at the end of the port. They are at the bar that is near the beach. They have done a lot of work to the place to really fix it up some more. They added more picnic benches and tables for you to sit and relax by the sea. They also fixed the avenue that you walk down to make it much smoother. Some elderly people were tripping. They took away about 15 booths that were blocking the view of the ocean, and just kept the booths on the opposite side.

Aloha Kristina - thanks for the update - a valuable bit of information for those of us who are planning on a visit to the beach right there by the ship and a drink or two at the bar. I cant wait to see this port - I want to be one of the first ones off the ship. I look forward to seeing all the booths there in the shopping area. Tell me again, isnt it you and your mother who make something together and sell there in the bazaar? I cant remember if it was you or another man that I spoke with on another thread. Do they sell the glass that is so popular in that area? Murano glass? What other types of things are being sold in the stalls? Leather, pottery, baskets, jewelry? Are the pearls that were mentioned good quality and what would we expect to pay for them? Any questions you could answer would be appreciated.

I can tell that this is going to be a long post. :D My mother and I make jewelry with semi-precious stones, pearls and crystals. There are more jewelry vendors than anything else I think. Half of them buy their jewelry to resell and others handmake their things. There are booths right up front that are off to the side that are artisians that handmake everything they sell and are given extra attention. They switch out the vendors every so often to bring other artisians in.

I believe Murano glass is sold here. There is a building right up front that has a few stores in it. Go in there, and you'll find a store that sells glass. There are other vendors that sell other glass figurines (not Murano) and one lady even makes jewelry with glass pieces that she makes, too. She speaks English.

There was a guy last year who made leather items, but I'm not sure that he is there this year. Yesterday was our first day of the season, and I didn't see him. He made belts and fitted them to you while you waited. He had wallets and purses, too.

There are lots of ceramics and pottery. There is one lady who hand paints pottery that is made here on the island. The island is known for pottery. She paints hibiscus and other flowers in bright colors on her things. They are beautiful. She's closer to the end of the row under a big awning that is near the second bar. She speaks perfect english. There are several people who make Negritas, which are clay black women figurines in folk/tropical dresses carrying plates of fruit and veggies. The island is very popular for that.

Hammocks are made on the island, so you can get a really nice one for a decent price. I know of a booth that sells those. They are about 2/3 of the way down the avenue.

About 1/3 of the way down is a booth that sells handmade woven baskets. Some are collapsable, so you can pack them in your suitcase. They also have simple folk whistles and things that kids like a lot.

There is one guy who makes handmade cigars. I heard many men try his cigars and say that it was top quality. He sells individual cigars, too, so you can try one right there and decide if you want more. Some high government men come to the island to buy his cigars, so I guess they must be pretty good. He is up front with the artisian group. He speaks english.

Pearls are our specialty. Yes, the prices are correct and the quality is good. Many people think that because the prices are so low that they aren't real. They are. You can buy a lower quality strand of pearls for $6. Then there are higher qualities that go up from there. A good strand of pearls will cost you about $15-$20. There are lots of hematite jewelry, too. You can get those pretty cheap.

There are many booths that sell caps, beach towels, bags, sarongs, t-shirts, etc. There is one couple that sells handpainted t-shirts. They are about half way down the avenue. There is also another guy towards the end near the second bar. He paints nice, too. They both speak perfect english.

There is a saxophonist who plays his music and sells CD's.

There is a guy who carves stone figurines. He speaks english.

I think I said most of what sells out there. I'm trying to remember. Oh! Beer, wine, vodka, and rum are sold at a store in the building at the front of the port. They also sell rum at either bar. I hope that helps. From what I have seen the people who handmake their items have their prices down pretty low. You MIGHT be able to get them to go lower, but it's doubtful. It's the people who buy items to resell out there that you can bargain with. They are more flexable. It used to be where everything that was sold out there had to be handmade, so most of the artisians have been selling there for years. They have learned to keep their prices low. So, keep your eye out. If it looks like the item can be sold at a better price, then ask. If the price seems fare, then that's probably their lowest price. A new rule we have this year is that everything has to be priced. Yeah! Have fun, and remember to stay in the shade!

klouised / Kristina - thank you very much! This is going to be great! I cant wait for this port - lots of fun and we dont have to go anywhere!!!

I look forward to seeing all the different artisans and their wares! I wonder what can be left behind to make more room in mu bags for some of their things!

I really appreciate you taking the time to tell us all that there is to be offered by these fine folks!

What a gem you are to explain it all!

On behalf of all my fellow cruisers, thank you very much! Muchas Gracias!:)

klouised / Kristina - thank you very much! This is going to be great! I cant wait for this port - lots of fun and we dont have to go anywhere!!!

I look forward to seeing all the different artisans and their wares! I wonder what can be left behind to make more room in mu bags for some of their things!

I really appreciate you taking the time to tell us all that there is to be offered by these fine folks!

What a gem you are to explain it all!

On behalf of all my fellow cruisers, thank you very much! Muchas Gracias!:)

KlouiseD...thanks for the helpful info. Are the shops open on Sunday?

Thanks,

Liz

We are required to be there every time a ship comes to port.This year we have many Sundays where ships are docking, so we'll be working.

Kristina

Archived