Back from August 14 ten day

pacheco18

Not quite back - sitting at computer in USO at LAX waiting for flight home to Tucson. There are no words to describe the fabulous cruise and the terrific new friends made during the ten days on board. The service was not to be believed. The food was fine restaurant quality - way beyond anything we have experienced on a ship. We plan to return in 2012 after the ship is refurbished.

Since others have given you great detail about their journeys, I will not do so -- but I will give a few recommendations about the cruise itself.

DO NOT MISS PATRICK'S EXCURSION on Bora Bora. Yes, I'm shouting. There is nothing like it.

Do not miss Bruno on Raitaia. He will take you to a lagoon on Tahaa that was by far the most beautiful place we saw the entire trip. The pearl farm he visits gave good value (I will do a separate post on pearls - I can make some great recommendations on where to buy (and not to buy) pearls (i bought a necklace, a bracelet and some loose pearls) and I will include other shopping suggestions (I bought 17 pareos!! - Christmas is done).

Since there are few tour operators on the islands, booking a tour yourself (easily done by email with no deposit) often gave you the same tour as the ship's tour for a lot less money. We saved $50 pp booking TipunaSafari ourselves on BoraBora. Others experienced similar savings - 60 -75 pp! Same excursion with same operator for much less. A no brainer.

Unless you are desperate to spend your OBC - forget the spa onboard. It's a 6 star ship with an ordinary spa. If you can, book a spa ritual at the Helene Spa at the IC Moorea. What an experience!

Reef shoes are a must. Do not take an air mattress for the Motu - there were at least 400 lounges there and they could be moved anywhere - sun or shade. No need to get on the first tender either.

Mark Eddowes is not to be missed. I am not a big fan of ship lectures but his were fabulous - especially the ones on the settlement of the islands and the "truth" about the Mutiny on the Bounty.

You could thoroughly enjoy this cruise from the cheapest stateroom. We had a balcony but we used it rarely. I could have had a porthole and enjoyed the cruise every bit as much.

I have that flu you all speak of . . . . . .

Laraine, it's great to see your comments about Bruno's tour (Raiatea/Tahaa) and Patrick (Bora Bora) as we are booked with both of them on our upcoming Royal Princess Nov 29 cruise. We are doing the 3/4 day tour with Patrick and then a helmet dive the next day (we have 2 days in Bora Bora). I was also hoping to book a 4X4 island tour on Bora Bora and note your comment about Tipuna Safari which I will look into. Do you have a contact for them or did you book them upon arrival? Did you happen to notice whether 4X4 tours could be booked at Bora Bora upon arrival at the port? I am also still looking into 4X4 tours for Tahiti and am wondering whether you have any info for 4X4 tours there or whether you noticed any tour operators available for booking at the dock? Any info you have would be appreciated.

You comments about Patrick and Bruno are interesting as we are going on the 7 day cruise in October.

We will want to see something of Moorea. Do you have any advice about a good excursion?

I would rent a car for the day. Moorea is easy to explore on your own. Car rentals car be arranged in advance by email.

You can go to Belvedere lookout, shop (best island for shopping IMO), take endless breathtaking photos and stop at some of the hotels or wonderful restaurants.

The excursion I recommend is Michael Poole's dolphin and whale watching tour. It's a half day -- books up -- so book in advance.

Thank you for your suggestions.

However, I think Bruno is going to be out of the equation. I think you itinerary got you to Raiatea at 8.00 am. We are on the 7 day cruise which gets us there at 11.00.

However I am already in touch by email and I am investigating other options.

Shouldn't be a problem at Bora Bora as itinerary is much the same as on your cruise. As regards BB, I see that there is something about the line's private beach but I could not see anything to say on which of the two days there we visit the beach. Is it on the second day?

I am glad to know you had a good time. We booked out cruise just before the line separated from Regent and were a little worried that everything would be downgraded. What we have read subsequently, including you enthusiastic comments, have lead us to believe that all is well.

Sand and sea lovers..... I think you mean to say 1 tender goes to the Bora Bora Motu. Motu Mahana is near Tahaa.

Patrick Aventure is also well known for his Papeete tours. Takes you around the island to a waterfall etc

Personally, I think that would be a big mistake. Bora Bora is an amazing island and the views from on top of the mountains are spectacular.

First, don't miss Patrick on Bora Bora. It is the excursion of a lifetime.

Second, I recommend doing a morning tour with Tupuna Safari - great fun - a lot cheaper than same excursion offered by ship if you book yourself -- and then spend the afternoon on the Motu in Bora Bora.

Archived